• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
For me it’s quite simple. Frequently played annually released multiplayer type games like COD and FIFA, digital, as you are unlikely to sell them within a year, then they have very little resale value. Sporadically released SP story stuff that can be completed like Tomb Raiders, AC, Cyberpunk etc, physical, as you may want to trade it in once you’re done with it.

I agree with that. I've started getting MP digitally as I know I'll keep them for ages. Everything else is on disc.

Soldato
Samsung 55Q70. I paid £450 for it.

Have you heard any word of firmware updates to allow full 120hz 4k on these?

Ive got the Q85 and was sold on the updated firmware at the time to allow it but its been very quiet on that front since.

Edit: I see they have pumped out a firmware update the last few days, ill see if that sorts it (albeit no way to test it yet!)

Last edited:
Soldato
The head of Xbox Asia on Minecraft as an example of Xbox stuff coming to other platforms:

IGN Japan said:
"Minecraft" is a little special case, and I think it should be considered separately from the platform called Xbox. The idea is that "Minecraft" is itself a platform. It's also used in educational institutions, and by the time we acquired Mojang, it was already on various platforms. "Minecraft" is a unique platform, and it is a sample of how to create a community, and in the TGS presentation, we showed a video focusing on the "Minecraft" community. Xbox has a slightly different idea from "Minecraft". Since Game Streaming and Game Pass are already compatible with mobiles and PCs, I feel that there is not much need to support other devices.

Doesn't sound encouraging for future Bethesda titles on PlayStation. Not sure if this is just the guy's opinion or the official line, but that last sentence fits with what I was expecting TBH. They're planning for "xCloud" to be so ubiquitous that ports to other consoles aren't necessary.

Soldato
Was thinking logically earlier, I know neither console makes sense at launch as there is bugger all bar old stuff I want to play but, I'd imagine PS is going to be the first out with a hardware revision as they are playing catch-up (its good advertising for xbox with "the most powerful games console in the world") so if I was to keep either of my pre orders it should probably be the X.
What will actually happen is they will both turn up and I'll get them both out and one will be played and the other will be in stasis for a while.

Associate
Was thinking logically earlier, I know neither console makes sense at launch as there is bugger all bar old stuff I want to play but, I'd imagine PS is going to be the first out with a hardware revision as they are playing catch-up (its good advertising for xbox with "the most powerful games console in the world") so if I was to keep either of my pre orders it should probably be the X.
What will actually happen is they will both turn up and I'll get them both out and one will be played and the other will be in stasis for a while.

Considering it took MS 4 years to bring out the One X to replace the quite underpowered OG Xbox One (compared to the PS4) - I don't think Sony will be in any hurry.

Soldato
There's a tiny difference in power, not enough to even boast about.

If you're going to be waiting for an updated ps5, you'll be waiting a few years. Both consoles are cutting edge,with tech that's not even on pc's at the moment.

Soldato

Still flip-flopping then? :p

Soldato
Just looking at the new ghosts of Tsushima dlc, think I’m gonna pick it up to play on the ps5 at launch too. Looks fun. And will look great at 60fps.

Soldato
Still flip-flopping then? :p

Yeah, basically comes down to the fact I like new hardware but I'm not particularly excited about either.

If you're going to be waiting for an updated ps5, you'll be waiting a few years. Both consoles are cutting edge,with tech that's not even on pc's at the moment.

We don't yet know how that will translate though on multiplats. Was it a huge gulf in power between the PS4 and xbox 1?

Associate
Just looking at the new ghosts of Tsushima dlc, think I’m gonna pick it up to play on the ps5 at launch too. Looks fun. And will look great at 60fps.

Legends mode is great - literally no reason not to pick it up now. It looks and plays fantastic on my PS4 slim - 1080p upscaled to 4k on my 55" LG c7. The netcode is superb - I am literally yet to encounter an issue, it is as responsive as single player which is critical for landing perfect parries/dodges etc.

Soldato
Legends mode is great - literally no reason not to pick it up now. It looks and plays fantastic on my PS4 slim - 1080p upscaled to 4k on my 55" LG c7. The netcode is superb - I am literally yet to encounter an issue, it is as responsive as single player which is critical for landing perfect parries/dodges etc.
Sounds good ! Think I’ll grab it digitally as I hate disk swapping. :) is it more forgiving than souls games ? This is crucial, as I can’t stand the difficulty on those.

Associate
Sounds good ! Think I’ll grab it digitally as I hate disk swapping. :) is it more forgiving than souls games ? This is crucial, as I can’t stand the difficulty on those.

You can have it as forgiving or merciless as you like. The interesting thing is the hardest difficulty mode 'lethal' can actually make it easier as it is literally 1 hit you die and 1 hit they die which works perfectly for stealth assassin/hunter play.

NG+ adds its own difficulty level however, I haven't dived into this yet.

Caporegime
if I was to keep either of my pre orders it should probably be the X.

For me now, it's literally which is the one that I can buy first? I have to wait for XSX to be available at Microsoft Store (to use reward points) and the PS5 Digital to be available at Argos (gift vouchers) so whichever store has stock, it'll be that device for six months or so.

Man of Honour
Have you heard any word of firmware updates to allow full 120hz 4k on these?

Ive got the Q85 and was sold on the updated firmware at the time to allow it but its been very quiet on that front since.

Edit: I see they have pumped out a firmware update the last few days, ill see if that sorts it (albeit no way to test it yet!)

No, my device does not have a HDMI 2.1 port so it cannot physically support the bandwidth needed for 4k120, as even 1440p120 requires dropping from 4:4:4 to 4:2:2 chroma subsampling (and no HDR).

Edit: It also looks like the Q85 cannot physically support it either.

Last edited:
Soldato

That's just speculation. The GPU in Series X is theoretically 16.7% more powerful than the one in PS5. But that's the thing about TFLOPS figures; they're theoretical limits. Throw in the PS5's variable frequency thing alongside other differences between the platforms, and it becomes quite difficult to say what the real-world difference will be. I'll be surprised if we even know at (or near) launch.

Back
Top Bottom