BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Caporegime
I doubt there will be any such Ofcom ruling. If you want to use your own VoIP hardware with a phone number then it's recommended that you port the number to Sipgate or similar.

Associate
I suppose this is the thread for it.

The voip service both BT and Sky offer, is there a technical reason why you can't use your own equipment? or is it just Sky/BT won't hand over the details you need and we just need to wait for someone to work out how to grab them or ofcom to lean on the isps, same as they did to make them play ball with using your own equipment for broadband.

Because the BT handset uses DECT to connect to the hub. I don't think there are any home grade routers that have this hardware built in.

I have tried to use the hub simply as a router and switch of the modem. successfully managed to get internet access but still couldn't get the handset to find the internet connection so i am guessing the handset needs to find the PPOE connection on the hub.

Associate
I suppose this is the thread for it.

The voip service both BT and Sky offer, is there a technical reason why you can't use your own equipment? or is it just Sky/BT won't hand over the details you need and we just need to wait for someone to work out how to grab them or ofcom to lean on the isps, same as they did to make them play ball with using your own equipment for broadband.

People could traffic inspect the SIP details via an old method but think the new gear stops that. BT really needs to sell a standalone SIP ATA like they do for their business side, if they want to keep the residential voice business long term.

Caporegime
I hear people saying this a lot, my opinion is that they absolutely don't need to change their approach. The percentage of customers who are happy to sign up to BT rather than someone like Zen, use a landline but also want to use a non-BT router is going to be absolutely tiny and not worth investing in a product to solve.

Man of Honour
Run it up the chain at BT ([email protected]), make sure you get the £8/day compensation https://www.bt.com/help/account-and-billing/automatic-compensation

Don't try and deal with Openreach directly, you have no contract with them.

I presume your fault is the PON light is out?

yes, PON light out, phone line dropped for a week - thats back now but no internet. Annoying thing is people on FTTC have been unaffected, they just lost their phone lines.

BT (and their online fault checker) have been totally useless, no outage notification - just got a text update yesterday saying it was all fixed (its not). Their suggested solution was "pay more for halo", so pay another £3 a month so when your service fails you can replace it with a near useless connection & not pay any compensation? :rolleyes: Will give it a few more days then give Philip a try.

Caporegime
If you wait a few days then you'll be escalating before a weekend, a week is plenty of time for someone to have fixed this or at least give you more information. I wouldn't feel bad about taking this straight up the chain now.

Caporegime
Sky have finally launched their FTTP service, going live tomorrow and can be sold by anyone you speak to as well but tech support is still a ring fenced team.

Associate
Sky have finally launched their FTTP service, going live tomorrow and can be sold by anyone you speak to as well but tech support is still a ring fenced team.

Well that's a bummer. just had to get a BT FTTP line installed as when I phone up they had no plans for FTTP even through openreach.

ohh well they lost my business.

Caporegime
Good to go in my neck of the woods now so reading this thread got more important. I really couldn't give two hoots about a landline but it seems BT offers it with a cheaper price than Zen anyway. Not sure which other ISPs are any good. There are no details on Sky's web pages at all - if I go to the URI, it asks me to sign in, recognizes that I am on their Superfast product and that's that. No option for Ultrafast anywhere.

Caporegime
Good to go in my neck of the woods now so reading this thread got more important. I really couldn't give two hoots about a landline but it seems BT offers it with a cheaper price than Zen anyway. Not sure which other ISPs are any good. There are no details on Sky's web pages at all - if I go to the URI, it asks me to sign in, recognizes that I am on their Superfast product and that's that. No option for Ultrafast anywhere.
Not sure about the website but the call centre agents can check for it and sell it.

Soldato
@ic1male I'm trying to decide between Zen and BT at the moment, all 24 month contracts.

With BT I can get 300mbps for £39.99 via the campaign link, phone line (not needed as will have my mobile) or £44.99 via the normal BT website.
With Zen I can get 500mbps for £54.99 (based on another postcode on the new build estate), without phone line, static IP4/6 and Fritzbox. BT do 900mbps for £54.99 with phone line as per the 300mbps package.

Called Zen last week to ask about when I might be able to order with them but not heard anything back. Checked on some other ISPs and I it appears some allow for me to start an order but nothing higher than 100mbps package for some reason. It's only BT that recognise for now that I should be able to get all offerings.

Associate
Why do BT have this "safe guard" speed promise thing? I thought with FTTP you got maximum speed at all times?

Unfortunately not, it’s still a contended service. I think the most common setup is a trunk with the available bandwidth roughly 2.4Gb down - 1.2Gb up. This can then potentially be shared with up to 32 customers.

Back
Top Bottom