** NEW SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G7/G9 MONITORS 27-49" AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

Associate
I just thought I’d post back regarding my never ending saga of gsync flicker. I’ve finally fixed it by downgrading the firmware to v5.4. Now the monitor refresh in the information panel closely follows the FPS of the games and is waaaay more stable. Problem solved. For what it’s worth I think different firmwares are showing different issues with different graphics cards. Hope this helps someone!

ps this is on a 1080ti.

Associate
As OCUK has some in stock I took the plunge, hoping a good N8 shows up on Monday!!!

Well it showed up today - a day early, good job OCUK and DPD!

Its an N8 with no issues I can see so far :D

This thing is huge, I say that coming from a dual 27 inch setup, it's going to take some getting used to the curve but already it feels less straining on the eyes!!

Associate
Well it didn't explode :D

img]

Associate
Got an N8 today from OCUK, no problems with it so far.

Jeez, OC shipped me an N5 - that has screen cracking and awful fisheye in my games.
I mean, just look at this:
https://i.imgur.com/Z9fgffT.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/bEtyLcF.jpg

EDIT: Ok, getting my OC N5 sent back tomorrow. It didn't have any cracking noises for the first 5 days, now it does - they carry on for about an hour after I shut it down. Hopefully OC will send me a N8 model that does not have this issue.

Last edited:
Associate
Fisheye is nothing to do with a problem with the monitor. If you play games on the wide aspect ratio and the games don't properly support it you get that.

Associate
Was looking forward to getting my G9 today, but my DPD driver was shown in a different city on the tracking and now I got a message saying I missed delivery along with a picture that isn't even my house lol. Frustrating waiting around all day just for that to happen. Hopefully I'll get it tomorrow.

Associate
DPD notified me of my one hour delivery slot 20 minutes before they delivered it. I’d forgotten I’d left instructions for all deliveries to be left at my ‘safe place’ (not something I do for high value items) and as it wasn’t due until today I didn’t expect it to arrive on Sunday, got home to a card and a monitor in my back garden... doh!

Associate
Was looking forward to getting my G9 today, but my DPD driver was shown in a different city on the tracking and now I got a message saying I missed delivery along with a picture that isn't even my house lol. Frustrating waiting around all day just for that to happen. Hopefully I'll get it tomorrow.
:( i know whats the feeling of waiting for something, and then when thinking is about to happen, it looks somehow and have to wait again....

hope tomorrow is there

Associate
I got my first G9 on Friday, so far very happy with it (it's an N8). No dead pixels, no flickering, no crackling/popping, no light bleed, not burning my face with heat! Fingers crossed, it'll stay that way.

It's actually 3rd time lucky, since two years ago I went through 2x of the Samsung Super-Ultrawide 49" (CJ89), that were plagued issues.

Even with DP 1.2, my GTX 970 can still run it at 5120x1440@120. It's amazing, it feels like looking through a window at games! Even at low 30-40s fps I'm getting a smooth, untorn experience. Obviously, I can't test G-Sync, HDR or 240hz yet but I'm still over the moon it's turning on, lighting up and not sounding like a fire hazard!

Just need to get my hands on an RTX 3080 now!

Associate
Man the stock for these disappeared from the store fairly quick, spent most of yesterday reading through this thread to see what the story is with the issues and go to buy one this morning and theyre all gone!

@sepulchre I've heard a lot of the lower end stands cant actually hold them up without drooping because of the weight and the curvature acting like a lever on the angle adjustment part.

From reading through here the issues seem to vary a lot based on manufacture date / firmware - how do you actually update the firmware and whats the likelihood of the next shipment of G9s to OCUK being fairly issue free?

Associate
Man the stock for these disappeared from the store fairly quick, spent most of yesterday reading through this thread to see what the story is with the issues and go to buy one this morning and theyre all gone!

@sepulchre I've heard a lot of the lower end stands cant actually hold them up without drooping because of the weight and the curvature acting like a lever on the angle adjustment part.

From reading through here the issues seem to vary a lot based on manufacture date / firmware - how do you actually update the firmware and whats the likelihood of the next shipment of G9s to OCUK being fairly issue free?
I got an N8 (august) G9 delivered on Saturday after sending a June G9 back due to a number of issues. The N8 G9 that I received on Saturday unfortunately has the following issues:

1) To adjacent completely dead pixels at the bottom right of the screen in the task bar
2) A pixel that has a dead green subpixel about half way down the screen about 20cm in from the left
3) Flickering issues that my previous June G9 did not have

Other things of note:
1) I noticed that the uniformity on the June model I got isn't as good as the uniformity on the August model
2) I think the colour depth is better on the August model
3) The above two points make me think that the panel that I got on that the panel that I got on the June model wasn't quite right, which might make sense considering it had an issue where the bottom 1/2cm of the screen faded to grey and for a few cm above that the colours were off (only slightly). I expect this is just down to the panel that I got, rather than a problem with June panels in general.

I'm going to have another attempt on the G9 when there is more stock with OCUK (both of my previous G9 orders have been with OCUK). So to answer your questions, the chances of getting one of the latest G9's via OCUK is high. The chances of getting a good monitor without issues at a guess is probably better than 50%, I'm just guessing that I and a few others have been a bit unlucky on that front. One thing I will say, is that if the monitor wasn't so good, I'd have probably given up with it by now. I'm happy for another couple of attempts, but if I don't successfully get a good monitor after that, I might look at alternatives.

Associate
There are reports on reddit that firmware 5.4 solves flicker on Pascal series cards. Other users have solved the flickering problem by disabling Windows HDR in the Windows Display settings. I'm receiving mine next week (seemingly), hoping I get a good one!

Associate
Got my G9 delivered yesterday (N8 model) and so far no issues other than the 240Hz G-sync already mentioned but I'm not running a 30 series card so fair enough. It's early days but no dead pixels, no popping noises no flickering etc. so fingers crossed folks that most problems are now a thing of the past time will tell I guess.

Back
Top Bottom