• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 5000 Series - What Motherboards?

Associate
Do we know what motherboards should be used with the AMD Ryzen 5000 Series?

Im looking to build a smaller form PC, so looking at Mini/Marco Boards.

Associate
As above - but it's likely even b550 and x570 boards will need a BIOS update.

If you're buying CPU, motherboard, and memory from the same vendor there is sometimes the option to have them flash the BIOS for you and save you from any compatibility issues.

Failing that, if the board you purchase has 'flashback' capabilities - that will allow you to update the BIOS without needing to worry that you have a compatible CPU

Associate
I think the only manufacturer to so far commit to supporting zen 3 on 400 series is MSI, I'm sure other manufacturers will comment sooner or later.

Soldato
500 series boards will support Zen 3 with a BIOS update. That BIOS update will be available straight away (or close enough). 400 series boards will be receiving Zen 3 support on a per model and per vendor basis, BIOS updates are due in January.

Some vendors are also releasing refreshed boards that will should support Zen 3 out of the box, for example the Asus X570 Crosshair Dark Hero and Asus Strix B550-XE Gaming. Asus have also released refreshed B450 boards with a bigger BIOS to support Zen 3.

Associate
This may be a stupid question but will no motherboard support the 5000 series cpu 'out of the box' so to speak? What would a person need to do buying a 5000 cpu and motherboard to function okay without needing an older cpu to update the bios - I suppose a motherboard that can do a bios flash without a cpu being installed?

Associate
Absolutely that, flashback will be needed.
Either that or a vendor that will flash the board before sending it out to you, providing a BIOS is available for your chosen board, of course.

Associate
As above - but it's likely even b550 and x570 boards will need a BIOS update.

If you're buying CPU, motherboard, and memory from the same vendor there is sometimes the option to have them flash the BIOS for you and save you from any compatibility issues.

Failing that, if the board you purchase has 'flashback' capabilities - that will allow you to update the BIOS without needing to worry that you have a compatible CPU
I'd second all of this, but add that boards made since early September will potentially have the right Agesa version already. The later you buy, the more likely you'll benefit.

Associate
OP
Ive put together what I think is a workable system.
The CPU will be a Ryzen 7 5800X (Ive used a 3700x as a place holder)
I'm planning to transfer my Windows 10 license from my old PC.
I may drop the Blu Ray depending on final price.

Thoughts?

QcY5Hgye_o.jpg

Soldato
You want faster RAM. 3600MHz ideally, but decent 3200 MHz with tight timings is fine. Everything benefits form faster RAM, but Ryzen especially loves it.

I really wouldn't bother with the 2060 Super. For that money you can get a top-end 5700 XT which is a lot better (and no, AMD drivers aren't crap and no, AMD cards aren't hot and hungry and rubbish). ALlso for that money you might be able to get a RTX 3070 if Nvidia don't balls that launch up too, and in 1 week's time AMD announce the new RX 6000 series which should be pretty damn good. So since you're waiting on the 5800X anyway, hold station and see what the new AMD cards are like, what their availability is and if Nvidia actually manage to release a real 3070, rather than the mythical unicorns they've done with Ampere so far.

Not that you should be skimping on a PSU (it is the most important part of your build), but if you're shaving a few quid then I'd go for a be Quit PSU instead of that EVGA. But seriously, invest in a decent Corsair, Silverstone, be Quiet or Seasonic unit. Spend the money, hell downsize that ridiculous 12 TB hard drive to cover a decent PSU.

Oh, and that doesn't look like a screenshot from Overclockers. Although you're not explicitly naming a competitor, you're showing competitor's prices which is against forum rules. Get rid of that image and just type your spec out instead before your post gets pulled.

Back
Top Bottom