Which Modem for Gigabit LAN Cable

Associate
Hi All,

Just joined the forum and hopefully find some answers here.

I've searched and searched the internet on this subject, but unable to find a solution, possibly not using the right search terms.

I signed up to Vodafone Gigafast Broadband in August of this year, they did the installation, and now my incoming internet connection is via a LAN cable from the ONT, so not a DSL.

I have a Google Nest WiFi set up in my home, and due to using the Vodafone Router, I am having issues of Double NAT on my network, as well as speed and drop out issues.

My solution would naturally to be get a third party modem only, so that my internet connection is passed through to the Google Nest Wifi by a bridge type modem. The Vodafone WiFi Hub is not able to be set into bridge mode.

But no matter how much I search, I cannot seem to find a definitive answer on what kind of modem will accept a LAN cable as incoming connection. They all seem to be DSL.

So, my questions is: What kind of Modems will support a gigabit LAN connection from the ONT?

Associate
It's actually a router you are looking for, not a modem. The ONT effectively acts as your modem and provides a WAN connection (RJ45) which goes into the WAN port on your router.
I would make sure you choose a recent router that is capable of switching gigabit traffic. Some of the older models can't provide the throughout, despite have gigabit ports.

Associate
OP
It's actually a router you are looking for, not a modem. The ONT effectively acts as your modem and provides a WAN connection (RJ45) which goes into the WAN port on your router.
I would make sure you choose a recent router that is capable of switching gigabit traffic. Some of the older models can't provide the throughout, despite have gigabit ports.

Thanks for the reply!

I have a Google Nest WiFi router, and had requested my PPPoE info from Vodafone and tried directly connecting ONT to the Google Nest WiFi Router, but this did not work.

Vodafone tech support told me that the ONT I have only converts the incoming FO cable to a LAN, it's not a modem.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes, the ONT isn't a modem strictly speaking, but it does provide you with an ethernet connection from the incoming fibre so the end result is the same.

Have you tried connecting a laptop directly to the port of the ONT and creating a PPPoE connection using the Vodafone config details?

I recently had BT FFTP installed, and had to connect a laptop directly to the ONT to prove that my router wasn't the cause of an issue I was having.

Associate
OP
Yes, the ONT isn't a modem strictly speaking, but it does provide you with an ethernet connection from the incoming fibre so the end result is the same.

Have you tried connecting a laptop directly to the port of the ONT and creating a PPPoE connection using the Vodafone config details?

I recently had BT FFTP installed, and had to connect a laptop directly to the ONT to prove that my router wasn't the cause of an issue I was having.

I've tried connecting a laptop to the ONT directly (But not with entering any details) and there was no internet connection.

Where would I enter the PPPoE details if laptop is connected directly to the ONT?

Associate
OP
Associate
Sorry, no idea about the Google Nest and why it won't work. If you can get a PPPoE connection via your laptop, then I'd maybe try a factory reset on the Nest and start over with it connected to the ONT. There's maybe an existing setting somewhere that is causing the issue.

Associate
OP
Sorry, no idea about the Google Nest and why it won't work. If you can get a PPPoE connection via your laptop, then I'd maybe try a factory reset on the Nest and start over with it connected to the ONT. There's maybe an existing setting somewhere that is causing the issue.

Nah, using windows 10 PPPoE connection didn't work, got the error 'Connection failed with error 651, The modem or other connecting device has reported an error'

Associate
OP
The connection uses VLAN tagging to connect the modem to the router, and neither Windows 10 nor Google Nest WiFi allow entry of a VLAN number.

Last edited:
Associate
Associate
OP
So back to my question, What kind of modems (Not routers as I want to use Google Nest WiFi) will support a gigabit LAN connection from the ONT with VLAN tagging?

Associate
OP
Hmm, hopefully someone who has connected a different router to a Virgin gigafast ONT will assist. I'm not sure if the ONT will only communicate with something using the MAC address of the virgin hub for example (https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub3s-own-MAC-Addresses/td-p/4170474). Easy to spoof a MAC address on your laptop to try it out: https://www.groovypost.com/howto/change-mac-address-windows-10-why/

The Google Nest WiFi Router doesn't support VLAN tagging, so basically it will never work connected directly to the ONT, and will always have to be connected to modem or router.

So really what I'd prefer is to find a modem that will support a gigabit LAN connection from the ONT with VLAN tagging.

Or failing that that find another Mesh WiFi system that supports VLAN tagging, and accepts incoming internet connection via LAN cable.

Associate
Anyone any other ideas?

Looking for a modem only, no wifi, that supports LAN cable (Not DSL) and VLAN tagging.

As the guys have said above, you can't get (and don't need) a modem.

The ISP supplied ONT is in lieu of the modem you would have used with DSL etc..

You are going to need a router or a switch that support VLAN tagging. You need to use the supplied ONT to connect to the service.

Associate
OP
If you have Google Wi-Fi already then you can get a cheap smart switch to handle the VLAN tag

https://www.netgear.co.uk/business/products/switches/web-managed/gs305e.aspx

Ok, thanks. How would the switch work? So I could potentially remove the ISP router and have: ONT-Switch-Google WiFi?

The problem is I don't want 2 routers in the network, as this is the current case and it's causing connection and speed issues.

Connecting to the ONT directly requires input of PPPoE info, and VLAN number? Does the switch allow this? Or just VLAN?

Or does the switch (ONT to Switch) handle the VLAN number only? So when it comes to the Google Router, you just need the PPPoE login data?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
No, the switch would only do the VLAN part, your Google Wi-Fi or other router would still have to do PPPoE.

Ok, this sounds like a promising solution.

Switch is like £24 from Amazon and it would arrive tomorrow.

This would also solve landline issue, as landline connects to Vodafone Router, but I can still have VF router plugged in, but it's not passing through the internet signal to the Google WiFi.

Back
Top Bottom