• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AN UNMITIGATED DISASTER

Associate
On the subject of folks getting upset over a graphics card, it REALLY isnt worth getting upset over you guys.

I was so unwell last year I seriously thought I was on my way out... when you are THAT unwell it gives you a true perspect on what really matters in life... no item is worth getting yourself worked up over, because in the end all that matters is health and wellbeing.

Christ im still on an old 1080ti and its more than capable of running modern games well... I have to ask, does anyone really *NEED* a 3080/90?

Soldato
I've already had several. Praying AMD do a better job with their upcoming launches.

Hopefully you're getting the opportunity to have open lines of communication with AMD in advance of their launches. Its pretty easy to do a lessons learnt from the Nvidia launch, if they care of course. Who knows if they actually are bothered.

I hope you're considering what bot prevention and foreign sales stoppages you need for the AMD launch.

Its mostly the same AIBs that make both Nvidia and AMD cards. Those cards should be being manufactured right now. If they aren't, well we're in for the same again aren't we.

Associate
A lesson in risk management for us all - to be pedantic its only unmitigated if you do not have a spare graphics card or dont have the means to get a spare.

For most its an inconvenience.

Man of Honour
AMDs cards could be the same.

I really hope AMD have a good launch but there are going to be some posters in the Navi thread who look like clowns if AMD don't manage to hit the ground running on this one.

I've pretty much heard from the start albeit SI stock not to expect any substantial stock to start coming through until the 28th Oct anyhow so I've not really bothered too much about trying to buy a 3000 series card yet.

Associate
Wow. This thread is a bit overdramatic. Lol. For most people it is an inconvenience, not a disaster.

If you really need the computer and cannot survive without it then you have a few options:

1) if you are upgrading then just keep using the card you have
2) if you sold old GPU or have a new build then use onboard graphics (if available) and play older titles at low settings
3) Buy a second hand card on ebay to get you by until 3080 arrives. Sell it when done.
4) Borrow a card from someone
5) Go to a friends house and use theirs

I'm curious to know why the OP is so desperate for this 3080 such that it's causing this reaction.

Associate
Have you considered that 'maybe' (read the word maybe) that some of those 10 were to replace faulty RMAs? Just maybe? :)

Right. I don't think you got the full picture. Let me explain. And I'm not arguing or anything. So...
Gibbo said that 10 cards came in and dispatched. Numbers 4 and 5 reported that they haven't moved. Number 12 reported a dispatch and everyone above moved 6-7 places.

Gibbo also said that OCUK sent 55 of trios out including those 10.
Hard to get a clear picture from the above, but if we ignore possible troll from number 12 it becomes clear that OCUK haven't sent any out to new customers and queue movement was just cancellations. OR they sent some not in FIFO.
OR they used all 10 cards for RMA - which would mean 10 faulty out of 45????
This what we are asking about, which OR is it?

Soldato
I am replacing a card that broke.

lucky if you actually managed to get one :)

Right. I don't think you got the full picture. Let me explain. And I'm not arguing or anything. So...
Gibbo said that 10 cards came in and dispatched. Numbers 4 and 5 reported that they haven't moved. Number 12 reported a dispatch and everyone above moved 6-7 places.

Hard to get a clear picture from the above, but if we ignore possible troll from number 12 it becomes clear that OCUK haven't sent any out to new customers and queue movement was just cancellations. OR they sent some not in FIFO.

have you ever considered their queue numbers are wrong ? :)

Last edited:
Soldato
AMD have an open goal here, just watch them completely balls it up!

They have Nvidia holding back the pricing and stock of the 3070 to attack whatever is shown at the 28th presentation while the 3080 and 3090 make noise with almost nothing available in the meantime.

I wonder where Nvidia is looking make the money if it's not been making 3080 and 3090 cards...

Associate
I've pretty much heard from the start albeit SI stock not to expect any substantial stock to start coming through until the 28th Oct anyhow so I've not really bothered too much about trying to buy a 3000 series card yet.
This seems consistent with the MLID rumour that NV is holding back the cards to drive the price up then release in bulk once Navi is released.

I'm curious to know why the OP is so desperate for this 3080 such that it's causing this reaction.

I think its just one of those life experience things. Like when your a kid and the whole world appears to be crashing down when you break one of your toys.

Man of Honour

Ah ok, a lot clearer now ;)

Could be trolling, it happens a lot on forums in general especially when situations like this occur?

If lots had a shipped email out of sync then I can understand but it's just one, with no proof?

Even if it's just one with proof, there could still be genuine reasons why, and I know OCUK aren't just randomly choosing people to ship to so for this situation I wouldn't worry :)

Man of Honour
This seems consistent with the MLID rumour that NV is holding back the cards to drive the price up then release in bulk once Navi is released.

It is the same really as has happened most nVidia launches - they throw out early production (sometimes risk) on launch and high volume follows some time later - just been exacerbated this round by initial volume being on the low side of a normal launch and demand being ridiculous - there is one retailer alone with probably more pre-orders for 3000 series cards than the entire of Turing or maybe even Pascal's launch globally.

EDIT: As for MILD I'm not hating on him but:

(From someone who got most stuff right and/or was talking about information that couldn't have just been dreamed up when they were wrong)

MLID just generate a bunch of stories and if anything is right it is by chance the validity some give to him is misplaced.

Last edited:
Soldato
It is the same really as has happened most nVidia launches - they throw out early production (sometimes risk) on launch and high volume follows some time later - just been exacerbated this round by initial volume being on the low side of a normal launch and demand being ridiculous - there is one retailer alone with probably more pre-orders for 3000 series cards than the entire of Turing or maybe even Pascal's launch globally.

Thats why I think this forum will go into meltdown on AMD launch day. Probably never see it come back up again :)

fx1

fx1

Associate
OP
This is absolute unmitigated ********
System integration stock is handled through completely different channels to those put directly on sale. Stop spewing this crap

When they run out of SI cards what do you think they are using? my friend got a full PC build and he has a retail box with his 3080

Back
Top Bottom