What watch do you wear?

Man of Honour
Reminds me of the Longines re-issue recently and Baltic HMS series :cool:

Was round a friend's last night and he'd finally got his Black Bay 58 back from the AD. It took almost exactly 2 months for Tudor/Rolex to replace the bezel lume pip and service the movement as it was making a grinding noise when hand winding. Each week they would give say it will be another week and this went on for 2 months. The actual turnaround should have been just a couple of weeks. They would not accept just swapping out the bezel itself with one off the shelf and instead a new bezel had to be manufactured.

Anyway this would be the first time I'd actually had hands on with a BB58 as they are quite hard to see in person as nobody seems to have one in stock or on demo and I didn't actually see it last time round as it went away not long after he bought it.

As the size is exactly the same as my Baltic Aquascaphe even right down to the size of the oversized crowns (well apart from case thickness which the BB59 is 0.1mm thinner due to a less boxed sapphire), it was surprising how much lighter the 58 felt side by side. I imagine this is more perception as the bezel on the 58 is thin stainless steel and then houses the ceramic insert whereas the Baltic has a thicker stainless steel bezel.

Anyway, really like the deployant clasp on the 58, quite excellent in finishing quality and the way it folds shut. The lume wasn't all that impressive though I have to say. The leather strap is really nice too but marks and stains easily. My friend refuses to manually wind or even adjust the time on it now after his experience. Something about Tudor's responses to him he felt was cagey, like as if they know there's an ongoing issue with the movement. All the AD did was give him back the watch and say "thanks". No indication of what they did exactly with the movement or anything else.

This is a watch I've always wanted but after his experience with ADs, I would much rather avoid the headache.

bCHo0yz.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Got the Joseph Bonnie olive drab tropic strap today, impressive softness, same vulcanised rubber as the Baltic one it seems but unscented where the Baltic is lightly fragranced.

Tropic_JB_installed-set.jpg

Tropic_JBinstalled.jpg

Tropic_JB_set-sides.jpg

Tropic_JB_set-rears.jpg

Tropic_JB__angle.jpg

Baltic Tropic: £33
- Only blue or black
- Lightly scented
- Vintage style with 20mm > 16mm taper
- Vintage buckle
- Vulcanised rubber
- Spring bars have thick tips and no lip as designed for drilled lug holes

Joseph Bonnie: £68
- Blue, black & Olive
- Unscented
- Vulcanised rubber
- Vintage buckle
- Spring bars have slightly thinner tips and do have lip on inside for lugs without drilled holes, I swapped out the spring bars for thicker Seiko fatboy ones which has tips made for drilled lugs
- Slightly thicker than Baltic, not immediately obvious
- Comes with 3 keepers for added choice
- Ever so slightly more pliable than Baltic one but both are extremely soft anyway
- Edge finishing and basket weave pattern details more refined but you have to take a closer look
- Slightly longer but only by about 1cm total. Buckle holes are similarly spaced apart so fit is the same on wrist

I have not received the Omega style deployant clasp yet so will try that when it arrives although I'm really happy with the standard vintage buckle so may well return the clasp unless I'm wowed by it.

Both really nice, I don't think the JB one is double the quality of the Baltic one though as the improvements are small, but it's the only Tropic with the right material being used, right buckles right length and importantly the colour I wanted...

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Not really a fan of the blue, it does look nice, but it's too similar to the Pelagos which is also in the same blue. The appeal of the BB58 original was that it was the only BB58, which it isn't any more!

alx

alx

Soldato
Not really a fan of the blue, it does look nice, but it's too similar to the Pelagos which is also in the same blue. The appeal of the BB58 original was that it was the only BB58, which it isn't any more!

Same blue? I'd say the Pelagos and BB58 navy are noticeably different shades of blue, very different looks.

Man of Honour
Ok maybe not exactly the same shade putting both watches side by side on the Tudor site, but definitely not too far off, the Pelagos is a bit brighter and BB58 bordering on the side of navy. These are PR photos though being compared. The looks are very similar though.

Associate
A little advice if possible. I quite like the watches I have (some Seiko and nicer Swatches) and I'm a fan of the likes of the Tag formula 1, the cocktail time one from Seiko and Rolex DateJust ranges. I'm a bit against wearing a very expensive watch everyday but would like something that looks a bit like a DateJust isn't terrible quality but maybe sits at the £500-£1500 range, just wondering if anyone might have some recommendations.

Thanks

UL

Man of Honour
With so many watches coming between December and next October I have sacked off a BB58 idea, even sitting in a waiting queue lol. Marloe have 3 I really like with the first coming in December, Oris will have their new movement in a new watch hopefully by summer... It might end up being an expensive year :o

Unrealted question time, does anyone else find their straps feel looser and tighter throughout the day? On the same hole this evening my rubber straps feel more snug on the wrist with a firm tightness which is fine as it's still comfortable but definitely not the slack-snugness I'd normally feel during the day. This is the reason many bracelets don't work for me and a reason why I sorely miss the auto-adjusting clasp of the Tudor Pelagos.

Back
Top Bottom