Poll: Woo-hoo, the clocks go back to GMT this weekend!

What's your preferred choice?

• 1. BST

Votes: 71 43.0%
  • 2. GMT

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • 3. BLT

Votes: 26 15.8%
  • 4. DIY

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • 5. Feek Shmeek

Votes: 29 17.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
My theory is that because we a such a big country in the banking industry because we are in between east and west we wont get rid of GMT. Otherwise it's less inbetween the usa and asia.tonfoil hat

Caporegime
I'm so happy that we'll be back to GMT (UTC, Z, etc) this coming weekend.

We invented time, we invented Greenwich, we invented longitude and we invented clocks*

We'll be back to proper time again... BST, you can do one!

Everyone gets an extra hour sleep, except for insomniacs who can have an extra hour staring at the ceiling.

NdqdhqX.png

*some of this may not be entirely factual
Insomniacs love this time of year. Only four sleeps until Christmas!

Soldato
My theory is that because we a such a big country in the banking industry because we are in between east and west we wont get rid of GMT. Otherwise it's less inbetween the usa and asia.tonfoil hat
they change their clocks at different times to us anyway. it's not going to make any difference. Also the entire EU block is stopping the switch of times from next year so we'll have to contend with that regardless. My concern is that if we stick with a single time it'll be GMT. I want light evenings in summer as a minimum thanks, so i think it's best to just leave it as it is to be honest.

Commissario
OP
I usually sleep badly but it's better at this time of the year as I'm not woken at 3 or 4am by the light and the birds singing.
One of my relatively nearby neighbours keeps chickens and has a cockerel. That damn thing doesn't care what time of the day or night it is, I was woken up a couple of nights ago at just after 03:00 by it crowing. I'd only been asleep for a short while as I suffer dreadfully with insomnia :(

Soldato
One of my relatively nearby neighbours keeps chickens and has a cockerel. That damn thing doesn't care what time of the day or night it is, I was woken up a couple of nights ago at just after 03:00 by it crowing. I'd only been asleep for a short while as I suffer dreadfully with insomnia :(

You'll have to see if you can get a muzzle for it :D

Capodecina
Soldato
I don't really care which is chosen, I just hope we do what the EU voted for in 2019 and stick to one time. I don't get any more sleep when the clocks go back, but I always lose an hour when it goes forwards. Will have to see what our wonderful government decide as it's supposed to kick in next year.

Seeing as we're going to be out by then I doubt whether it'll make a difference.

If it were going to happen here, I imagine it would be "permanent summer" to keep most people happy. Which I would personally hate. It's a shame Feek messed up the polling options, as usual, since this way we can't have anything close to an accurate result.

Caporegime
The principle of BST was introduced back in WWI - 1916 - because the Germans had implemented a similar thing a few weeks earlier to help their war effort, the British panicked and thought it would give them (ze Germans) an advantage and we’ve been stuck with variations of it ever since. (we then had double summer time during WWII)

Why we still follow this is beyond me!

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Of all the years, we should have had a trial run staying at BST this year.

A huge amount of us are now getting up 5 minutes before starting work from home so light mornings make absolutely no difference, we just lose an hour of daylight in the evening.

Obviously you are not rich/Gentry Tory voting landowner/peer where you require your workers to be up and out to get the most of the daylight so you can keep on eating truffles on the ski slopes of swizterland before you pootle off to the cayman islands "to get some sun"

Caporegime
The principle of BST was introduced back in WWI - 1916 - because the Germans had implemented a similar thing a few weeks earlier to help their war effort, the British panicked and thought it would give them (ze Germans) an advantage and we’ve been stuck with variations of it ever since. (we then had double summer time during WWII)

Why we still follow this is beyond me!

2+ omg yes yes yes!

I want it. I want it all year round!

Caporegime
My mum was working during WW2 while double summertime was engaged, she said it never used to get dark until midnight some days!

Can you imagine.
Personally that would be amazing.

If I literally could chose I'd have +1 in summer and +2 in winter.

Back
Top Bottom