• iPhone 12

Votes: 39 13.4%
  • iPhone 12 Pro

Votes: 93 31.8%
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max

Votes: 109 37.3%

• Total voters
Soldato
Just watched the Verge's 12 pro review. For me it's an underwhelming handset for the money.

The ultra wides sensor is tiny and in need of a quality bump. No high refresh screen and battery performance seems average. Notch needs to go for onscreen FPS.

Soldato
You can get a single charger that does multiple ports, so USB-C and USB-A out. So if I really wanted, I could charge a Kindle, a powerbank battery, an iPhone, and MBP at the same time using the cables that I have in the drawer already. Such as this. But I certainly agree, that their whole system is a little messed up and I would have thought when their laptops all became USB-C only, their other devices would have followed suit by using USB-C, ditching USB-A and lightning.

What is rather annoying, is that I haven't come across a single Gold Pro in the reviews yet. Just a single Graphite and Silver one within the sea of blue. I'm glad I didn't order that, as I don't like it at all, however, I do like the blue of the 12!

Soldato
Honestly what are they thinking with Magsafe? The more I see the less it makes sense. Too strong to pick up from a desk without taking the cable with you, not strong enough to be a mount. Only 15w which Qi has been doing for years now (and for like 1/4 the cost), just a mess. Could have just made it 30w Qi and be done with it, fast open standard everyone can use.

Soldato
Could have just made it 30w Qi and be done with it, fast open standard everyone can use.
It’s Apple, Gen1 of anything is usually to test the market and comes with lower specs . The second year is usually when to buy it.

Apple 2021 - we are excited to show you MagSafe v2.0 which has been designed using Machine Learning, with Deep Fusion inspiration and has a computational dynamic connection. It’s our best MagSafe ever :p

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
It’s Apple, Gen1 of anything is usually to test the market and comes with lower specs . The second year is usually the when to buy it.

Apple 2021 - we are excited to show you MagSafe v2.0 which has been designed using Machine Learning, with Deep Fusion inspiration and has a computational dynamic connection. It’s our best MagSafe ever :p

30% stronger magnets, using 20% less space and made using the recycled tears of a virgin dolphin.

Soldato
The ultra wides sensor is tiny and in need of a quality bump.

I'm not buying a 12-series iPhone, but I'd expected to spend the next year listening to reviewers breathlessly comparing the iPhone's camera to dedicated hardware etc etc. While I'm sure a consensus will be reached amongst reviewers in the coming days and weeks, I'm old enough that I should have realised presentation-day product hype doesn't always translate into real world performance.

Soldato
It still doesn't solve a problem, you either have (slightly) faster tethered charging or slow wireless charging. I guess you could argue it's like an untethered 'start' but tethered 'end' charge? Bizarre, achieves nothing.

Old iPhones
Untethered charging = 7.5w Qi
Tethered charging = 18w USB

New stuff
Untethered charging = 7.5w Qi
Half tethered = 15w Magsafe
Tethered = 18w USB

Just feels to me you might aswell use a cable, for like 1/3rd the cost.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
It still doesn't solve a problem, you either have (slightly) faster tethered charging or slow wireless charging. I guess you could argue it's like an untethered 'start' but tethered 'end' charge? Bizarre, achieves nothing.

but cool magnets with NFC that allow the phone to display context aware animations! :D

Associate
I really don't get the hype over Magsafe. On the MacBook it was brilliant as it stops you dragging your MacBook on the floor if you trip over the cable but on the iPhone it seems to stay attached and would drag your phone onto the floor if you tripped over it, in addition the accessories (mainly wallet) seem like they won't stay attached. Maybe third parties will build in stronger magnets so they attached stay attached.

Soldato
[Product] PINK not doing it for you? :p

Joking aside watching MKBHD's video and magsafe demonstration I'm seriously left wondering what the hell the point it in magsafe? The wallet is useless as demonstrated... the charger puck thing is just an inconvenient wireless charger as you need two hands to remove your phone rather than one.

The cynic in me thinks it's just a desperate attempt by Apple to sell a load more accessories to their devoted fans, however Apple went to great lengths this year to show us that they are against creating excess plastic waste by removing chargers from boxes and making fancy videos demonstrating their green credentials. Most Perplexing!

Magsafe is purely for wireless charging, the variation in the charge rates depending on the position of the phone on the charger is significant, at least with magnets you're always going to get a decent charge.
The rest of it is just Apple making something to make money on, I'll no doubt get :rolleyes: from some for bashing the great Apple, but hey I agree with them paying lip service to the "Green" ideas, but again, I'm being cynical as well ;)

Back
Top Bottom