Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Soldato
Image #2 below :
they look like they're for ice climbing with the two serrated front points ? - I'm sure the grivels I have aren't like that
, can you move the front bail to the front slot, and do they then lie flatter on the front of the sole, was there a wide/std option, that might address the heal side overhang

Soldato
they look like they're for ice climbing with the two serrated front points ? - I'm sure the grivels I have aren't like that
, can you move the front bail to the front slot, and do they then lie flatter on the front of the sole, was there a wide/std option, that might address the heal side overhang

I will have a look tomorrow after work!

They are quite unique really as the front points can be removed or changed for a mono

Soldato

Yeh, twin vertical for steep ice, mono for hard mixed.

They are quite unique really as the front points can be removed or changed for a mono

I'd say unless you're doing some pretty technical steep ice or hard mixed routes, they'll be overkill. Something like the Grivel G12 is cheaper, lighter and the front points will be more suitable for the kind of routes you'll most likely be doing. Mine have been far from the limiting factor in my Scottish winter/alps climbing! As for fit, the boots will be pretty stiff so as long as the crampon bonds properly and doesn't wobble around I wouldn't be worried. I've got a few pairs of boots and my crampons fit each one differently but once locked in they are solid and I've not popped a crampon yet.

Soldato
Yeh, twin vertical for steep ice, mono for hard mixed.

I'd say unless you're doing some pretty technical steep ice or hard mixed routes, they'll be overkill. Something like the Grivel G12 is cheaper, lighter and the front points will be more suitable for the kind of routes you'll most likely be doing. Mine have been far from the limiting factor in my Scottish winter/alps climbing! As for fit, the boots will be pretty stiff so as long as the crampon bonds properly and doesn't wobble around I wouldn't be worried. I've got a few pairs of boots and my crampons fit each one differently but once locked in they are solid and I've not popped a crampon yet.

I actually got these due a C3 requirement for Kazbek next year so whilst they are overkill for Scotland, they are also what i already own :) Unless it would be detrimental to use these over something else i think it would be useful to get some winter prep in with them.

And interesting regarding the fit. Thanks for the information.

Soldato
I actually got these due a C3 requirement for Kazbek next year so whilst they are overkill for Scotland, they are also what i already own :) Unless it would be detrimental to use these over something else i think it would be useful to get some winter prep in with them.

And interesting regarding the fit. Thanks for the information.

You can get C3 crampons with horizontal front points, however my G12s are C2 and will do me up to Scottish grade V easily, at that point it's me that's the limiting factor not the crampons. For most uses they'll generally be better than vertical points unless you're climbing steep ice. Most lower grade things will be snow plods or gullies where horizontal front points will more of a benefit over vertical, especially when just starting out as they'll give you more security on snow. The normal route on Kazbek is graded PD, which is the sort of thing ideally suited to a mountaineering crampon.

Edit: Do you mean you already own them and can't send them back now? I'd still be tempted to get a more mountaineering based crampon and save the Cyborgs for the steeper mixed and ice.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can get C3 crampons with horizontal front points, however my G12s are C2 and will do me up to Scottish grade V easily, at that point it's me that's the limiting factor not the crampons. For most uses they'll generally be better than vertical points unless you're climbing steep ice. Most lower grade things will be snow plods or gullies where horizontal front points will more of a benefit over vertical, especially when just starting out as they'll give you more security on snow. The normal route on Kazbek is graded PD, which is the sort of thing ideally suited to a mountaineering crampon.

Edit: Do you mean you already own them and can't send them back now? I'd still be tempted to get a more mountaineering based crampon and save the Cyborgs for the steeper mixed and ice.

I do already own them yes :) im not opposed to getting new equipment for different stuff. I am quite new to this so i am certainly still learning and making mistakes along the way! I have actually been chatting to an instructor in Scotland regarding some beginner ice climbing lessons whilst i am there. Was watching some videos of Point V gulley and it looks stunning in the winter! though im sure it's tremendously difficult to do!

Soldato
though im sure it's tremendously difficult to do!

Point 5 is a grade V which is a reasonable target for most people with a little bit of effort if you can put up with some suffering. Winter climbing is massively about head game in my experience as you are usually cold, carrying a lot of weight and often run out above questionable gear! What grade can you confidently lead in summer? If you can climb E1, you should be able to get up a V.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone got a Patagonia R1 / R2 midlayer ? (pull over or full zip)

I am unsure what these will be like

not sure what the difference is between R1 and R2

My R1 is one of my favourite pieces of kit. It does everything right. The zip is deep enough to ventilate properly on walk ins. It's a good length with nothing lumpy around the bottom so it's not annoying or uncomfortable under a harness and won't pull out over it. The sleeves are a good length and don't ride up your arms when pulling above your head and the hood is great under a helmet. I had one years ago and wore it out and didn't hesitate in buying another. They aren't cheap, but others I've tried always feel like a compromise. I've never used an R2, but I've used the R1 as a standalone for summer cragging and layered for winter routes and it's been perfect.

Soldato
I'd say it's a fairly lightweight fleece, no idea what the GSM is though. It's great for moving in as it's breathable and I don't sweat much in it. I run fairly warm though and if I'm moving, I don't actually need to wear much to stay warm. If I'm stopped, I'll throw another layer on over it if needs be.

Soldato
yes I don't know why fleeces don't have a polartec 1/2/300 equivalent; the old currency
looks like r1 is ranked the same as the rab nucleus I just picked up, which seems like ~150 with some windproofing

I actually got these due a C3

- I'm sure the grivels I have aren't like that
looked moser super 12's , not grivel, crampons maybe 3mm gap maximum between sole & crampon,
they dont actually have up facing grips on the front heal sides, just at its rear, so no play, just the rear bale.

50509182058_6bb6a5ec44_o_d.jpg

Underboss
i like the Rab Nucleus, when i saw one in store

my Arc'teryx dosent have a drawcord hem, so its a little on the baggy side, i love it though just like something similar thats either more "fitted" or a heavy weight mid layer
been searching something for ages and I cant find exactly what i what, the R1 Techface , full zip non-hoody is the kinda thing im looking for, need to find one in a shop I suppose

Soldato
Thank you for the further input :D Still doing some more reading ect.

Wasn't in a great place in my head on Monday so went for a walk! Around a local reservoir ( Water grove in greater Manchester area )

Im not a great photographer but i hope you enjoy these few pics i took on my phone :

FTRJpqW.jpg
qlFGRUt.jpg

I started to veer of track around here and found some lovely peaceful areas where i managed to sit for an hour undisturbed with a nice hot brew!
I8XbSzE.jpg
you can see the res off in the distance on this picture. Just followed an old run down path up there was really nice but a bit windy.
KgTbMFf.jpg

Capodecina
Soldato
Have time for a day trip to Lake District on Monday, any particularly noteworthy walks/climbs to enjoy the autumn colours?
Park near the Ravenstone Hotel (NY 235 297) on the A591, up to Ling How, the Edge, Ullock Pike, Longside Edge, Carl Side, up the scree slope to Skiddaw, down via Bakestall to the Cumbria Way, Melbecks, Barkbeth and then make your way back to the car. A great way to attack Skiddaw although that may be a wee bit long for this time of year and you will not get great Autumn Colours :)

The Lake District is going to be wet underfoot at the moment.

Soldato
Park near the Ravenstone Hotel (NY 235 297) on the A591, up to Ling How, the Edge, Ullock Pike, Longside Edge, Carl Side, up the scree slope to Skiddaw, down via Bakestall to the Cumbria Way, Melbecks, Barkbeth and then make your way back to the car. A great way to attack Skiddaw although that may be a wee bit long for this time of year and you will not get great Autumn Colours :)

The Lake District is going to be wet underfoot at the moment.

Have Skiddaw on the list but keeping that one for later.

Was thinking maybe something on the lines of Grizedale, never been to that valley and should be plenty of forest to enjoy with some elevation. Not entirely sure where to start with walking there though.

Soldato
Am I off my head wanting to do a couple of stages of the south west coast path in mid November?

Porthleven to Lizard and Lizard to Porthallow are the 2 next stages.. they allegedly take 8 hours each at a time of year where there's only 9 hours of light.

I've booked cancellable air BNBs so I can bail if the weather looks awful but just slightly concerned about the light?

But damn I've missed walking this year what with covid and moving house, really want to get to the coast again.

Capodecina
Soldato
Have Skiddaw on the list but keeping that one for later.

Was thinking maybe something on the lines of Grizedale, never been to that valley and should be plenty of forest to enjoy with some elevation. Not entirely sure where to start with walking there though.
OK then, another suggestion:

Park in one of the car parks for Aira Force along the A5091 (NY 395 211), walk North along the river, Norman Crag, Gowbarrow Fell, Collier Hagg, Memorial Seat, Hind Crag and back to wherever you parked your car.

Aira Force is a great spectacle at any time and you get good views over Ullswater towards Hallin Fell as you walk westward from the Memorial Seat.

Whatever you do, don't try to cross Pooley Bridge - it isn't there at the moment. Go M6 Junction 40, along the A66 and turn left (Southward) to Troutbeck and Dockray.

A further suggestion would be Ambleside, along Loughrigg Terrace to Grasmere (https://where2walk.co.uk/walk/grasmere-to-ambleside-via-loughrigg-fell/ and then back to Ambleside via the Coffin Route and Rydal Mount (https://theoutdoorguide.co.uk/britains-favourite-walks/coffin-route-ambleside/) - some of these guides may have to be reversed?

Incidentally, I have no idea from where you will be approaching so this may all be complete nonsense ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom