My decade upgrade Ryzen 5950x + 3080RTX, upgrade advice and questions.

Associate
Hi all,

I normally try to future proof my systems as much as possible. I know its a bit of a stupid term but here we are. My old system has lasted pretty well running everything needed to some level.

As I'm working from home a lot more I'd like to apply my system to work-related tasks as well. This is mainly, Unity and Unreal Engine, 3DS Max, and Blender. I work with extremely large 3D data. This machine would also be for heavy gaming.

I currently have a: 2600k @4.2, 8GB of 2800 RAM, and a 780TI. I'd like to repurpose this machine as a NAS/Plex server.

The machine I'm looking to build would be the following:

Case: MESHIFY S2 MIDI TOWER CASE (Potentially)
CPU: Ryzen 5950x
GPU: 3080RTX (not sure on which brand? Will a 3080TI come out?)
RAM: 32GB of 4000MHz RAM (Really appreciate recommendations. Also heard AMD can require certain timings? 2 sticks of 16 to allow for further upgrade?)
MOBO: Heard good things about the MAG X570 TOMAHAWK?
CPU Cooling: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240?
PSU: ???

I already have 1, 256GB 870 EVO SSD and 1TB 870 EVO SSD along with 2, 4TB WD RED drives.

I plan to use the RED drives for the NAS/Plex server.
Should I bother with a NVMe M.2 drive for my new desktop?

I also need a new monitor, either 27 or 32 is a perfect size. I'd like to explore 4k, is this reasonable?

Any help would be amazing. I appreciate there is a lot of questions, criticism welcome!

Best,
Xerco

Soldato
Those uses can indeed use all that 16 cores.

For motherboard X570 Tomahawk is basically enough for any normal use and saves budget to actually usefull things.

With DDR5 memory coming in next gen AMD probably hasn't spend that much time with old DDR4 memory controller and 3600MHz is probably best choise...
Especially money wise, because price increases sharply after certain point.
And not sure if you can find 16GB DIMMs at those high frequencies.
(motherboard wiring and CPU's memory controller basically tuned for one DIMM per channel)

No idea if Nvidia releases any 3080"+" model when they even don't make enough of 3080 cards.
Remember that AMD also launches RDNA2 cards in 10 days.

Arctic Freezer II is genuinely beefy waterpipe cooler, but if you want long time absolute reliability nothing beats heatpipe coolers.
Only wearing/failing thing in them is cheap and easy to replace fan, whose failure doesn't kill all cooling power.
(unlike typical waterpipe cooler failure being CPU cooking up at idle)

For handling large datasets NVMe would be definitely better than SATA drives.
When avoiding brand (Samsung) and marketing hype overprices even 2TB doesn't cost that much.

In monitors high refresh rate 4K gaming monitors are few with selection increasing very slowly.
27" has few ones, like recent LG 27GN950.
But in 32" size there's no actual firm data when paper announced models (including ViewSonic Elite XG320U as latest) actually come available.

Soldato
Hi all,

I normally try to future proof my systems as much as possible. I know its a bit of a stupid term but here we are. My old system has lasted pretty well running everything needed to some level.

As I'm working from home a lot more I'd like to apply my system to work-related tasks as well. This is mainly, Unity and Unreal Engine, 3DS Max, and Blender. I work with extremely large 3D data. This machine would also be for heavy gaming.

I currently have a: 2600k @4.2, 8GB of 2800 RAM, and a 780TI. I'd like to repurpose this machine as a NAS/Plex server.

The machine I'm looking to build would be the following:

Case: MESHIFY S2 MIDI TOWER CASE (Potentially)
CPU: Ryzen 5950x
GPU: 3080RTX (not sure on which brand? Will a 3080TI come out?)
RAM: 32GB of 4000MHz RAM (Really appreciate recommendations. Also heard AMD can require certain timings? 2 sticks of 16 to allow for further upgrade?)
MOBO: Heard good things about the MAG X570 TOMAHAWK?
CPU Cooling: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240?
PSU: ???

I already have 1, 256GB 870 EVO SSD and 1TB 870 EVO SSD along with 2, 4TB WD RED drives.

I plan to use the RED drives for the NAS/Plex server.
Should I bother with a NVMe M.2 drive for my new desktop?

I also need a new monitor, either 27 or 32 is a perfect size. I'd like to explore 4k, is this reasonable?

Any help would be amazing. I appreciate there is a lot of questions, criticism welcome!

Best,
Xerco
Looks good, I have got a 32inch Acer Predator 4K, love it!

Associate
OP
Those uses can indeed use all that 16 cores.

For motherboard X570 Tomahawk is basically enough for any normal use and saves budget to actually usefull things.

With DDR5 memory coming in next gen AMD probably hasn't spend that much time with old DDR4 memory controller and 3600MHz is probably best choise...
Especially money wise, because price increases sharply after certain point.
And not sure if you can find 16GB DIMMs at those high frequencies.
(motherboard wiring and CPU's memory controller basically tuned for one DIMM per channel)

No idea if Nvidia releases any 3080"+" model when they even don't make enough of 3080 cards.
Remember that AMD also launches RDNA2 cards in 10 days.

Arctic Freezer II is genuinely beefy waterpipe cooler, but if you want long time absolute reliability nothing beats heatpipe coolers.
Only wearing/failing thing in them is cheap and easy to replace fan, whose failure doesn't kill all cooling power.
(unlike typical waterpipe cooler failure being CPU cooking up at idle)

For handling large datasets NVMe would be definitely better than SATA drives.
When avoiding brand (Samsung) and marketing hype overprices even 2TB doesn't cost that much.

In monitors high refresh rate 4K gaming monitors are few with selection increasing very slowly.
27" has few ones, like recent LG 27GN950.
But in 32" size there's no actual firm data when paper announced models (including ViewSonic Elite XG320U as latest) actually come available.

Great thanks, I think the X570 will be fine, so I'll go with that.

I'll also go with 32GB of DDR4 3600MHz while waiting for DDR5. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll go for the TEAM GROUP EDITION 32GB (2X16GB) DDR4 3600MHZ.

Will also go for a heatpipe cooler, any recommendations?

I'll wait on a 4k monitor till a decent 32" is released.

Thanks guys!

Man of Honour
Great thanks, I think the X570 will be fine, so I'll go with that.

I'll also go with 32GB of DDR4 3600MHz while waiting for DDR5. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll go for the TEAM GROUP EDITION 32GB (2X16GB) DDR4 3600MHZ.

Will also go for a heatpipe cooler, any recommendations?

Thanks guys!

Dark rock pro 4 or the Noctua NH-D15 chromax. are both excellent coolers and quiet.

They are tall so Remember to check the case restriction on cooler height.

Associate
OP
Dark rock pro 4 or the Noctua NH-D15 chromax. are both excellent coolers and quiet.

They are tall so Remember to check the case restriction on cooler height.

Great thanks. Build so far is the following:

With the addition of: Ryzen 5960x

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,657.06 (includes shipping: £13.20)

Will the PSU be fine with this? Any recommendations PSUs would be great.​

Soldato
I'll go for the TEAM GROUP EDITION 32GB (2X16GB) DDR4 3600MHZ.

3600MHz 16-16-16 is tightly binned Samsung B-die, which would also overclock.

It's total guess when 32" models come out.
Asus paper announced one 120Hz model already over year ago and we still don't know firm availability.
According to this that Viewsonic should come for spring, but wouldn't really trust that either.
https://newsbeezer.com/germanyeng/v...first-32-monitor-with-uhd-144hz-and-hdmi-2-1/

Soldato
If you are planning to go 4K and want to keep the Gpu for 5 years or so then I'd hang on for the RTX 3080 20gb versions.

Associate
OP

That is a tasty case. I'm not a massive fan of crazy RGB lighting. More a fan of subtle minimalist beasts. The case is beautiful though, I'll have a look thanks!

3600MHz 16-16-16 is tightly binned Samsung B-die, which would also overclock.

It's total guess when 32" models come out.
Asus paper announced one 120Hz model already over year ago and we still don't know firm availability.
According to this that Viewsonic should come for spring, but wouldn't really trust that either.
https://newsbeezer.com/germanyeng/v...first-32-monitor-with-uhd-144hz-and-hdmi-2-1/

I hadn't looked into this too much, I'll stick with my current 1080 144Hz until they come out with some decent reviews, thanks for flagging this.

If you are planning to go 4K and want to keep the Gpu for 5 years or so then I'd hang on for the RTX 3080 20gb versions.

I was thinking the same, especially with the work I do. I was hoping that Nvidia will release these around the AMD GPU release as a counter tactic?

Is this out of choice, or is the system you have been supplied by your workplace (if they have) insufficient? How long do you expect to be in this situation?

The systems we have supplied by work are sufficient, maybe not to max everything out but they get the work done. We have machines with 2080RTX's in with developer rights but they are still pretty restrained. I currently have a laptop. There is a certain degree of lack of performance.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Soldato
I was thinking the same, especially with the work I do. I was hoping that Nvidia will release these around the AMD GPU release as a counter tactic?
I don't think they will be far behind the navi cards but that said even getting the 10gb versions in stock seems difficult for nvidia right now so possibly in the new year once supply issues are sorted out.

Associate
OP
I don't think they will be far behind the navi cards but that said even getting the 10gb versions in stock seems difficult for nvidia right now so possibly in the new year once supply issues are sorted out.
Yeah abit concerned. When would I like my system? Now. When will I get it? Who knows.

Back
Top Bottom