• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AN UNMITIGATED DISASTER

Associate
I cant get a waterblock or anything till I get the card. Even the water block is pre-order till it releases the end of October. A full PC build normally will get a 3080 and not have to wait in line. These cards do 2.2GHz on water with the higher power limit.

Man of Honour
Thats why I think this forum will go into meltdown on AMD launch day. Probably never see it come back up again :)

If AMD has any sense they've been watching what has been going on... though in the past they've managed to miss an open goal but there has been a sense of "under new management" with their approach recently.

Soldato
MLID just generate a bunch of stories and if anything is right it is by chance the validity some give to him is misplaced.

Of course its rumour and hearsay but he's got everything right lately which is one heck of a coincidence. You might even say someone fed him information rather than simply pulling it out of the air. By contrast a stopped clock shows the correct time twice a day but most of the time its wrong rather than right so you would argue thats simple coincidence.

Associate
MSI 3090 Gaming Trio so far 27 received and shipped.
MSI 3080 Gaming Trio so far 55 received and shipped.

Fingers crossed more due next week, but no confirmation yet.

Shipments are small and far between, NVIDIA are telling me production of GPUs is now ramping and all board partners should be sticking more volume in 2-3 weeks worldwide.

SI stock is separate to retail stock and has no impact, the above was all retail customers.
However so far I believe MSI has not allocated any SI stock yet on Gaming Trio, no doubt because MSI believe Gaming Trio is not an SI product in early stages.

Still cant believe my luck after ordering a Zotac at 14.09 on the 17th, then changing my order to a trio on the 29th, then receiving the trio on the 1st! So that at least confirms OCUK have had some ;)

Associate
It's a perfect storm of the 3080 being an amazing value for money upgrade from last gen combined with lockdown and working from home, meaning more people need indoor hobbies, along with various production and distribution delays that also could be attributed to coronavirus.

Building a PC been on a lot of people's minds for a while, this 3080 being so powerful for the money plus lockdown just tipped them over the edge. Sales managers will be hurting as much as anyone through lost commission. Just hope all get their cards before Christmas break when gaming will be more important than ever if we're still under lockdown conditions.

Associate
Still cant believe my luck after ordering a Zotac at 14.09 on the 17th, then changing my order to a trio on the 29th, then receiving the trio on the 1st! So that at least confirms OCUK have had some ;)
Can you stay on disaster topic only, please:p

Raz

Raz

Soldato
On the subject of folks getting upset over a graphics card, it REALLY isnt worth getting upset over you guys.

I was so unwell last year I seriously thought I was on my way out... when you are THAT unwell it gives you a true perspect on what really matters in life... no item is worth getting yourself worked up over, because in the end all that matters is health and wellbeing.

Christ im still on an old 1080ti and its more than capable of running modern games well... I have to ask, does anyone really *NEED* a 3080/90?

Glad you're well now.

Man of Honour
Of course its rumour and hearsay but he's got everything right lately which is one heck of a coincidence. You might even say someone fed him information rather than simply pulling it out of the air. By contrast a stopped clock shows the correct time twice a day but most of the time its wrong rather than right so you would argue thats simple coincidence.

Only in terms of how the launch has unfolded and that is all weaving a narrative around circumstantial evidence and isn't really surprising if people cast their minds back to previous nVidia launches - as I've said you or I could have come up with the idea with a bit of imagination - for some reason people seem to have quickly forgotten the pattern of previous launch shortages and price gouging, etc.

Everything else he has posted a spread of different information even when something correct has been in there he has usually contradicted it 1-2 videos earlier or later and his "exclusives" have been nothing short of garbage in hindsight as pointed out by Yuko who has had some correct insight.

I'm puzzled why people hold him in any higher regard than the likes of wccftech as it is basically the same thing (personally I don't have a problem with him just find it weird how people persist in giving what he says disproportionately high validity).

Associate
3090 strix non oc...zero anywhere - hasn't even been manufactured. Nearly a month later now. Ridiculous. It's one thing to run out of stock/have a limited amount. To put shops in the position that they are selling items that they aren't even manufacturing is crazy.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Gibbo theres really no need to update this thread, just update the main stickied thread and if people really want latest info they can watch that thread and have info sent straight to their mailbox when you update it.

I think people here forget Covid19 is still a thing and it's gonna get worse over winter which im sure will impact manufacturers and retailers.

We just gotta be patient, find some other hobbies to keep us busy while on furlough :).

Soldato
Nvidia 30xx has been nothing more than a paper launch.

They should have waited but no to there own detriment.

Lets hope AMD can come out all guns blazing on the CPU & GPU front. Not holding my breath though seen many stings from AMD in the past.

Am upgrading next yr and just waiting for the dust to settle and see what my options are.

People just wait and see what happens then decide. ;)

Associate
I know I probably get flamed, but I think its a fair ask of OCuk to explain why they feel taking the full payment in the current situation is good for their customer relationship in light of the state of stock (thank you @Gibbo for the update on main thread - do appreciate!)

Before everyone replies just cancel, that is not a solution/or response to the issue. Pre-order is usually paid by a deposit of partial funds, not the full amount with no delivery date (with or without control of stock).

I'm just asking for the logical (sensible / honest - not to buy ferraris) response from ocUK they feel this is an acceptable practice to take funds from their 1000s customers when they know stock is non-existent and in the current covid-19 climate?

NB: Pocket full of funds has no influence on the stock arriving as we are seeing.

Soldato
I would like to believe AMD will launch with enough stock but I don't know, something makes me doubt that. I'm just not sure the GPU manufacturing capacity of the world is upto this level of demand right now, I doubt AMD will see quite the same rabid demand as Nvidia with the 3080 though, just because AMD gpu's don't historically sell like Nvidia's ones, so it might appear much better for that reason, hard to say. But, I do think if AMD were faced with the same demand Nvidia were/are for the 3080 on launch day, they would have struggled just as much. I'm not surprised the launch wasn't held until they had amassed a larger stock because making too many and then launching without knowing the demand will be there is risky, another reason AMD might not do that as they will no doubt be expecting only a fraction of the 3080s demand for their cards. If they assume a load of annoyed would be Nvidia customers will come their way to buy everything they can make, that's a calculated risk, they could end up stuck with a lot of stock that retailers have trouble shifting.

Associate
MSI 3090 Gaming Trio so far 27 received and shipped.
MSI 3080 Gaming Trio so far 55 received and shipped.

Fingers crossed more due next week, but no confirmation yet.

Shipments are small and far between, NVIDIA are telling me production of GPUs is now ramping and all board partners should be sticking more volume in 2-3 weeks worldwide.

SI stock is separate to retail stock and has no impact, the above was all retail customers.
However so far I believe MSI has not allocated any SI stock yet on Gaming Trio, no doubt because MSI believe Gaming Trio is not an SI product in early stages.

can you guestimate please

you say that suppliers are ramping up production or sticking more volume

those who are in a que for strix 3080s, on 800+ in que

do u think it will be 2 months plus before they get a card?

Or will Asus go ape and start to ship in tens of thousands of cards in the next week?

Soldato
I would like to believe AMD will launch with enough stock but I don't know, something makes me doubt that. I'm just not sure the GPU manufacturing capacity of the world is upto this level of demand right now, I doubt AMD will see quite the same rabid demand as Nvidia with the 3080 though, just because AMD gpu's don't historically sell like Nvidia's ones, so it might appear much better for that reason, hard to say. But, I do think if AMD were faced with the same demand Nvidia were/are for the 3080 on launch day, they would have struggled just as much. I'm not surprised the launch wasn't held until they had amassed a larger stock because making too many and then launching without knowing the demand will be there is risky, another reason AMD might not do that as they will no doubt be expecting only a fraction of the 3080s demand for their cards. If they assume a load of annoyed would be Nvidia customers will come their way to buy everything they can make, that's a calculated risk, they could end up stuck with a lot of stock that retailers have trouble shifting.

I tend to agree with this, I just hope AMD have been watching very closely on the various forums, and take heed of people's feelings on the Nvidia shortage of these cards. If they do, they can clean up BUT, they've got to have enough stock, reasonable prices and cards that could/will be a true competitor to Nvidia. I know I've just spouted the obvious (which has been stated here many times), but I'll say it again, AMD have been handed a golden opportunity, don't screw it up (and I reckon they will, BUT I really hope 100% wrong)

Soldato
I tend to agree with this, I just hope AMD have been watching very closely on the various forums, and take heed of people's feelings on the Nvidia shortage of these cards. If they do, they can clean up BUT, they've got to have enough stock, reasonable prices and cards that could/will be a true competitor to Nvidia. I know I've just spouted the obvious (which has been stated here many times), but I'll say it again, AMD have been handed a golden opportunity, don't screw it up (and I reckon they will, BUT I really hope 100% wrong)
I think this largely depends when they actually launch cards people can buy, I don't think they will do it on the day they tell us about them later this month, because I don't think they will be in a position to deliver a lot of stock to be honest, I don't know this I just suspect it. If they say this is what we have and this is what it can do but you can't actually buy it until January, that could backfire on them but they may not have much choice. It's interesting to watch anyway, right now it's like a chess game where neither player has a full board to play with and both of them have 1 arm tied behind their back.

Soldato
I think this largely depends when they actually launch cards people can buy, I don't think they will do it on the day they tell us about them later this month, because I don't think they will be in a position to deliver a lot of stock to be honest, I don't know this I just suspect it. If they say this is what we have and this is what it can do but you can't actually buy it until January, that could backfire on them but they may not have much choice. It's interesting to watch anyway, right now it's like a chess game where neither player has a full board to play with and both of them have 1 arm tied behind their back.

I reckon it'll be success a if they can at least have sufficient numbers available when launched, by that I mean as long as a high percentage of buyers actually get the cards they want, and AMD can deliver more within a short space of time to keep the momentum going, if they can, they'll give Nvidia a right old pasting.
Saying that, I think Nvidia might have been holding stocks back to dump the market with 3070/3080 supers or Ti cards to pee on AMD cornflakes as it were. How folks will react to that is any one's guess as lots have very short memories, but will certainly anger lots of others who already have 3080 10gb versions, who paid at gouged prices only for a better card to drop onto the market.

Back
Top Bottom