• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5900x or 5800x for gaming?

Associate
Hi All,

I'm building two brand news systems for my kids (for their saved up $$$ :D). I have all the parts, they wanted a rgb bling (aio h100i platinum, x570 tomahawk, 32gb corsair dominator RAM, seasonic focus 850w psu, Lian Li lancool mesh rgb case, 3080 GPus (once they will become available) ). They are gaming on 1440p@165 monitors.

For CPU if price difference is indeed $100USD, I was leaning toward 5900x since it has more cores and more cache, however it will have 2 chiplets with CCX in each which might add latency comparing to single CCX on 5800x. I'm not planning to upgrade their PCs for the next 4-5yrs.

Please advise.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Soldato
I still think the 5900X will perform better for gaming else AMD would have shown the 5800X in their gaming benches and called it the fastest gaming CPU.

Either way there won't be much in it but 4 extra cores for $100 seems to me where the smart money is.

Soldato
In most games there's unlikely to be difference.
Certainly most games can't use extra cores.
(and Intel is also returning to 8 cores in Rocket Lake)
Again bigger L3 cache would be advantage, but core probably can't access L3 of other chip in any direct way and need to go over InfinityFabric adds latency to communication between threads running in different chips.

Though if there's going to be all kinds of stuff running on background, then extra cores can help.

Associate
This is hard to call before benchmarks, but I have the same question. It might vary between use cases, some things needing the fastest single core and others needing lowest inter-core latency.

Associate
Hi All,

I'm building two brand news systems for my kids (for their saved up $$$ :D). I have all the parts, they wanted a rgb bling (aio h100i platinum, x570 tomahawk, 32gb corsair dominator RAM, seasonic focus 850w psu, Lian Li lancool mesh rgb case, 3080 GPus (once they will become available) ). They are gaming on 1440p@165 monitors.

For CPU if price difference is indeed $100USD, I was leaning toward 5900x since it has more cores and more cache, however it will have 2 chiplets with CCX in each which might add latency comparing to single CCX on 5800x. I'm not planning to upgrade their PCs for the next 4-5yrs.

Please advise.

Any help would be much appreciated.
you are the best dad ever

i think for gaming you will be alright with the 8 core with one chiplet .. but i would still wait for the reviews

Soldato
The gaming reviews we only give a hint of performance I think. Games will probably need patching, driver updates and so on.

Soldato
Anyone looking to upgrade now, just wait a few months it wont kill you.

I want to upgrade myself but am just waiting to see what cards are on the table come Newyear, we should know a lot more by then. ;)

Associate
Anyone looking to upgrade now, just wait a few months it wont kill you.

I want to upgrade myself but am just waiting to see what cards are on the table come Newyear, we should know a lot more by then. ;)

Sure, but... I've delayed my upgrade this long that I'm not as patient as usual.

Associate
This is where I'm torn aswell. I think the 5900x is where it is at . But as most I'm upgrading from a 5930k just for gaming.

Also do we know if reviews will be out a few days before or not ?

Rom

Rom

Associate
It's a 5pm release in UK?
So hopefully reviews drop before that.

I'm 99% on a 5900X. Think for gaming, the 5950 isn't going to help me.
And unless the 5800/5600 is substantially better for gaming than the 5900, I'll still with 5900.
As someone said, if the 5900x wasn't tbe best for gaming, sure they would have showcased whichever one was at the event.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I still think the 5900X will perform better for gaming else AMD would have shown the 5800X in their gaming benches and called it the fastest gaming CPU.

You provide good logic, however, I'm sure the head of marketing at AMD thinks pushing the more expensive part during a keynote is the best logic!

Back
Top Bottom