~Subwoofer?

Soldato
OP
Get two subs its so good. Never going to have just one again.

Thanks mate. I am considering this. space is a bit tight in the room and will require me to get a new TV stand but I could do.

I did REW and TBH my current subwoofer placement is awesome. I have great coverage and only one dip which my friend was able to calibrate out with a custom EQ curve.

If I go for double subs, its a question of 2x PSA 1812s or 2x Arendals 1Vs in sealed mode. Edging towards the Arendal because 10 year warranty, superior build quality, smaller cabinet design and the option of vented or sealed mode where I expected Vented mode will soar in terms of output.

However the PSA 1812s are... well an 18'' woofer and thats kind of hard to pass up easily and their in-room extension is freaking phenomenal.

I just fear looking at used PSA subwoofer prices, it will become very hard to move on if the time comes, as PSA seem to upgrade new models of their subwoofers every year with multiple different variations whilst Arendal will probably stick with their current line now for at least 5 years.

I have just bought the parts for a HOVERBOSS so that should cover single digit ULF frequencies in the room.. so I don't need the in-room extension I guess... Argh...

Soldato
OP
hoverboss = hilarious. Are you going to be posting a build log?
Doubt it. Will do a review of it and list parts used but that’s about it.

I’m quite excited for it. See it as one of the next levels of immersion much alike rumble on a controller.

everyone I’ve spoken to who has one has said the ULF generated and the low hz it hits normally would require a dedicated infrasonic subwoofer.

after this, I need to:
Buy a jvc nx7
Buy 2 subwoofers
Buy a 77inch GX to replace the CX
Upgrade the toys (new gpu, ps5)
emotiva power amp

arghhhh

Soldato
OP
Ideally you want a av amp capable of dual sub eq and calibration not just dual mono out.

Need to use REW to get best place also

I've bought a mini dsp 2x4HD and UMIK already which does a decent job with REW.
REW is strangely addictive.

My frequency response curve for a single sub at the moment makes me smile but dual wielding will be fun.
still not sure where I'm going to go with 2x Arendal 1vs or PSA 1812s. 10 year warranty, EU... probably arendal..

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Just a question. You appear to be considering spending a good deal of dosh on more speakers, yet you're running a mid-range AVR.
Might be worth looking at options amongst a good pre-pro combo.

Soldato
OP
Just a question. You appear to be considering spending a good deal of dosh on more speakers, yet you're running a mid-range AVR.
Might be worth looking at options amongst a good pre-pro combo.

Haha, I am already in the market for an Emotiva or NORD amp. ;)
Just waiting for the right deal to come up as I'm not in a gigantic rush at present but I do agree with you, its something I need to get sorted eventually.
My front 3 could definitely do with it.

In terms of pre, I'm not willing to jump until a device which as at least 2x HDMI 2.1 inputs (one for my PC and one for my future PS5.. and maybe one for my future XBOX) is available as I know I'll have have to upgrade again.
Also I am moving house in the next year so I'm not sure how many channels I will end up needing, hence I am waiting as I might try to expand from 5.1.2 to 7.2.4.

The issue is that as much I do love sound, splashing for the 'final' sound upgrade of HDMI 2.1 AVR, power amps and 2-4 more channels will probably stretch me 5-7k, and that should be in the JVC NX7-mark2 terrirtory, which is what I'll likely go for instead.

Soldato
Haha, I am already in the market for an Emotiva or NORD amp. ;)
Just waiting for the right deal to come up as I'm not in a gigantic rush at present but I do agree with you, its something I need to get sorted eventually.
My front 3 could definitely do with it.

In terms of pre, I'm not willing to jump until a device which as at least 2x HDMI 2.1 inputs (one for my PC and one for my future PS5.. and maybe one for my future XBOX) is available as I know I'll have have to upgrade again.
Also I am moving house in the next year so I'm not sure how many channels I will end up needing, hence I am waiting as I might try to expand from 5.1.2 to 7.2.4.

The issue is that as much I do love sound, splashing for the 'final' sound upgrade of HDMI 2.1 AVR, power amps and 2-4 more channels will probably stretch me 5-7k, and that should be in the JVC NX7-mark2 terrirtory, which is what I'll likely go for instead.

ATI 6007?

Soldato
OP
Stop mucking around and get a Trinnov

Honestly, its on the distant-radar (the 16 channel version though.. lol). Maybe 24 months time.
But that will be my missing piece of the puzzle as I have many more components to upgrade first.

(Projector, Subwoofer, HoverBOSS, Amplification, Decor, More channels)

Soldato
I wouldn't buy emotiva. I'm using ATI 2000 series. I'm looking for a new av pre, still using non hdmi, Dolby digital/dts 7.1 av pre, new ones are either buggy, or just too expensive...and out of date so quickly with hdmi spec.

Soldato
OP
I wouldn't buy emotiva. I'm using ATI 2000 series. I'm looking for a new av pre, still using non hdmi, Dolby digital/dts 7.1 av pre, new ones are either buggy, or just too expensive...and out of date so quickly with hdmi spec.

Yeah for pre.. i think if you're a gamer, you're kinda stuck for now. My denon does everything I need except Dolby Vision HDMI 2.1 and it will in the future run out of channels as its only 7 channels which are all used up. I think I can comfortably wait for a pre as everything else is more of a tangible upgrade (projector, rears, amplifier, subwoofer, hoverboss).

I'll look at ATI and try to keep an eye out. Ideally I'd love to get an amp second hand as I have nothing in my setup second hand and I feel its always good value to second hand except for the HW40Es as much as you can in AV.

Back
Top Bottom