Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
just got the email to upgrade to the Hub4, any issues using it in modem mode?

None that I've encountered. I have the SH4 in modem mode, plugged into my x86 router (Pentium G4560, 4GB RAM, SSD, Intel I210 NICs, OpenBSD) and get much better service than I did on the lower tiers with the SH3. I get gigabit throughput 24/7 and it doesn't seem to slow to a crawl every week or two (necessitating a reboot) as did the SH3.

Soldato
None that I've encountered. I have the SH4 in modem mode, plugged into my x86 router (Pentium G4560, 4GB RAM, SSD, Intel I210 NICs, OpenBSD) and get much better service than I did on the lower tiers with the SH3. I get gigabit throughput 24/7 and it doesn't seem to slow to a crawl every week or two (necessitating a reboot) as did the SH3.

Thanks, i use pfsense so wanted to make sure SH4 runs ok in modem mode.

this is the email i got today

Soldato
Anyone who's clued up would only use any virgin hub in modem mode only and use thier own router and WiFi solutions. Recently joined virgin and couldn't believe how crap the virgin hub 3 I got lumbered with was. Straight to modem mode after giving the hub a go a being a router. Bad idea.

Soldato
My contact went upto £54 from £37 and was told nothing is available, I asked to speak to cancellations and for the first time it was simple.
I told the the chap what the issue was and im happy to stay if i can get a good price.

He offered me 350mb for £35 or 200mb for £33 I ended up going for 350 considering what ive been paying and things can get resolved quickly.

What are your thoughts, has anyone been able to get a better deal recently ?

I did ask if he could also upgrade my router to the SH4 but was told no its only available in some areas at the moment.

Man of Honour
Anybody noticing traffic management on usenet at least during the day? does anybody which ports are not being blocked ?

Not usenet but I've seen some multi-thread slowdown at peak times - one connection will run at any speed but additional concurrent connections to the same host seem to be on a lower priority and jumping all over the place rather than a sustained speed with each one picking up speed in turn once the one running at full speed has finished.

I've noticed since this started happening my connection seems to be being seen as Virgin Media Business instead of a residential/consumer connection as well.

Soldato
VM say they don't have traffic management any more, and I haven't seen any issues personally. What provider are you with? Newsreader/downloader? Setup?

im with frugal, using sab, and using the SSL ports 563 or 5563. only downloading 10MB/sec and i have a 500 Mbit connection.

Soldato
im with frugal, using sab, and using the SSL ports 563 or 5563. only downloading 10MB/sec and i have a 500 Mbit connection.

You haven't done something daft like use all the connections thinking its faster or got RAR/PAR processing happening on a low power box with a mechanical drive, or added 10k of items in the queue without tweaking the headers option, or run it over OpenVPN (single threaded despite your client using multiple connections), just you should get near line speed.

Back
Top Bottom