AirPods (and AirPods Pro [and AirPods Pro 2nd generation]) now available

Soldato
Got some today.

They're OK. Used many in ear headphones over the ears, and would say the sound quality is a bit disappointing given the price. I appreciate sound quality is subjective, but I feel like I've had 60/70 quid in-ears that have been better.

Where they are amazing is the convenience, auto play/stop and switching between devices is pretty seamless.

Soldato
Got some today.

They're OK. Used many in ear headphones over the ears, and would say the sound quality is a bit disappointing given the price. I appreciate sound quality is subjective, but I feel like I've had 60/70 quid in-ears that have been better.

Where they are amazing is the convenience, auto play/stop and switching between devices is pretty seamless.

That's always been the design principle of AirPods. Sound quality only barely acceptable, everything else pretty good. Most people are not audiophiles and don't even recognise sound quality beyond a certain point :p

Associate
As someone that doesn't have any apple devices (currently) how quickly does iPhones and iPads recognise and switch between airpods?

Reason I ask, I started with a cheap Bluetooth earphones that was a bit finicky to pair and change devices with. I've now got a decent set of Sony wireless headphones and they seem to be similar.

Associate
Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a pair of AirPod Pros and I must say I absolutely love them! Apart from one little snaggle they keep falling out...

I have tried all three different ear tips and they stay in for about 20mins but then eventually fall out. I have also purchased some third party foam tips but I'm afraid the same still happens, I also don't find these as comfy.

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

Many Thanks

Sam

Man of Honour
Nice, they're sending me a replacement pair and I return mine in the box they come in. Had to put a £85 hold on my credit card until they get mine back which is fair enough.

Associate
If even the foam tips are falling out, are you putting them in correctly? They should be very snug in your ears?
I honestly had the same thought to be honest, however I have ensured they are pushed as far down my ear canal as comfortably possible yet I still have the same issue. I have just switched to the smaller ear tips again which seem to be a more comfy fit so I will try these when I take the dog out for a walk again today.

Thank you kindly for the advice.

Soldato
Interestingly I actually think the sound quality is decent on the AirPods Pro. I have Bose quiet comfort IIs and Philips X2 HF over ears and the AirPods are ok compared to those.

Even more interestingly having used them for two days straight on Zoom meetings, charged overnight, right AirPod is dead. Contacted Apple, walked me through the reset procedure, have confirmed it’s dead. Can go and pick up a replacement today in store.

Soldato
I honestly had the same thought to be honest, however I have ensured they are pushed as far down my ear canal as comfortably possible yet I still have the same issue. I have just switched to the smaller ear tips again which seem to be a more comfy fit so I will try these when I take the dog out for a walk again today.

Thank you kindly for the advice.
When inserting the bud, try lifting the top of your ear upwards with your spare hand. That opens up your ear canal and should make sure it’s going in. This is the same process for inserting ear plugs (loads of videos available).

I’ve just picked up a set of the air pod pros today and I can safely say the Sony’s are a good 20% better sq wise. Having said that the AirPods are significantly nicer to wear, the case is much easier to carry and they look much nicer too.

Soldato
After accidentally washing my last pair of 1st gen Airpods, that I’ve absolutely loved using, I’m considering pulling the trigger on upgrading to AirPods Pro. I wouldn’t normally consider spending the £209 which is what they’re going for on Amazon at the minute, but find myself in Qatar where I’ve read you can pick them up for 699 Rials, which as the exchange rate stands is about £150, only £21 more than what 2nd gen standard AirPods are going for, again on Amazon.

Would anyone else consider the upgrade worth it? And if not, what other options would people recommend? I’ve seen people mention Sony’s, are they the WF1000XM3?

Cheers! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
After accidentally washing my last pair of 1st gen Airpods, that I’ve absolutely loved using, I’m considering pulling the trigger on upgrading to AirPods Pro. I wouldn’t normally consider spending the £209 which is what they’re going for on Amazon at the minute, but find myself in Qatar where I’ve read you can pick them up for 699 Rials, which as the exchange rate stands is about £150, only £21 more than what 2nd gen standard AirPods are going for, again on Amazon.

Would anyone else consider the upgrade worth it? And if not, what other options would people recommend?

For 20 quid its a no brainer to get the Pros. You do have other options but realistically the integration between Airpods and iPhone etc is pretty much unrivalled.

Soldato

Would anyone else consider the upgrade worth it? And if not, what other options would people recommend? I’ve seen people mention Sony’s, are they the WF1000XM3?

Yes @ the last Q

They are better SQ wise but I’d rather have the AirPod pros.

Associate
My left Earpod Pro keeps crackling now and again, will have to see what Apple support say.

I've had this happen twice to me now, both times a quick chat to Apple via the online web chat has resulted in me having a replacement AirPod sent to me via UPS the next day which resolved the issue :)

They put an £85 hold on your card until the receive the faulty one back, but can't fault the service!

Mine are constantly in use, especially since working from home, they're in use 8+ hours a day (with a quick charge for around 45 mins during lunch!)

Man of Honour
Yeah they replaced it. As you use yours for work, do you find sometimes people struggle to hear you? Or am I ‘holding them wrong’?

Associate
Yeah they replaced it. As you use yours for work, do you find sometimes people struggle to hear you? Or am I ‘holding them wrong’?
Nope, never had any complaints. Someone who despises apple products where I work said once that it was ‘noticeable’ I was using AirPods, but having done literally thousands of Teams meetings with them, no one has ever complained.

Back
Top Bottom