• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone slightly nervous about going red?

Soldato
I've been Intel ever since the fantastic AMD K6 2 450Mhz days.

I did try a friends Athlon and it was shocking in comparison to Intel. My current i7 4790k has lasted many years, as did the i5 2500K before it.

Switching over to AMD sort of makes me nervous as hear friends with Ryzen 9 (3900) and Ryzen 7 CPUs complaing of micro stutter whilst I have none. This may of couse be their GPU, RAM, Internet or something else.

Switching to a 5900X for ~£1000 (motherboard, RAM, CPU) is quite a big jump and have worries this micro stuter or other issues will plague my the AMD setup.

Does anyone feel similar? Does anyone have Ryzen builds that are fantasic with no issues at all? Anyone with issues?

Man of Honour
I can't speak for the 3000 series much but I built a load of 1700/1800 systems with some having issues - in a few cases CPUs needed RMAing due to some kind of production glitch. But then I built a bunch of 2600 and 2600X based systems and every single one was a flawless experience.

Had more issues about that time with Intel builds due to things like XMP profiles just not working as they should, etc.

Soldato
As above, Ryzen 1xxx was hit and miss with memory training on bios, and microcode. Since the launch of Ryzen 2xxx it has been mostly smooth sailing from the impression I get. My 3xxx was plug and play.

Associate
My last good AMD system was a 2500XP with the usual overlock, which I ran for many years until the motherboard eventually died, I recall I got a replacement board and still have it kicking about somewhere. I then ran intel personally and professionally ever since, for no real reason - but AMD just made sense this time around.

I had no real qualms with going for Ryzen, Intel not exactly being perfect themselves. However as with anything, I did my homework and it did seem there were pitfalls especially early on with AGESA updates and motherboard compatibility - but I'm happy to say my 3700X and B450 combination has been rock solid.

I think you can apply the golden rule for any technology here - don't be on the bleeding edge if you can afford to wait a bit and let other people iron the bugs out for you.

Man of Honour
Switching over to AMD sort of makes me nervous as hear friends with Ryzen 9 (3900) and Ryzen 7 CPUs complaing of micro stutter whilst I have none. This may of couse be their GPU, RAM, Internet or something else.

I wonder if this is somewhat from people running crazy high MHz RAM with poor understanding of settings - the AMD architecture seems to have a bit of a sweet spot in that respect and more isn't necessarily better and I've seen that causing things like microstutter before.

Associate
Better dead than red!

Nah, just kidding, I'll definitely consider a 6000 card of the price: performance is there and they can deliver before my 3080 would arrive.

Associate
...I did try a friends Athlon and it was shocking in comparison to Intel...
What was shocking? Having used Intel before, my first AMD CPU was an Athlon 700, which I bought because the Athlon marked the first time that AMD actually made the best CPUs rather than the best value CPUs. It was absolutely brilliant in comparison to the Intel CPUs I could compare it to at the time. Excellent value for money too, as you could get as much as a 50% overclock out of some of them.

Rom

Rom

Associate
Im in a similar boat. Last AMD was Athlon FX about 15 years ago.

But Ive done a lot of reading, and Ryzen chips, especially 3xxx seem to be amazing. Hoping the 5900 is just as impressive. But Id be lying if a part of me isnt thinking 'get a 10900k, you know Intel, you know it will be good' :rolleyes:

Soldato
I've been Intel ever since the fantastic AMD K6 2 450Mhz days.

I did try a friends Athlon and it was shocking in comparison to Intel. My current i7 4790k has lasted many years, as did the i5 2500K before it.

Switching to a 5900X for ~£1000 (motherboard, RAM, CPU) is quite a big jump and have worries this micro stuter or other issues will plague my the AMD setup.

Does anyone feel similar? Does anyone have Ryzen builds that are fantasic with no issues at all? Anyone with issues?

Ive not had many. One piece of middleware had a few quirks, but that got updated. The only other problem I had was the oddball memory straps. Instability at 2667, fine at 2800 but that more from working with Intel XMP. 3000 on Intel is 2933 on AMD.

Soldato
I went from an Intel 6600K to AMD 3700X, it has been buttery smooth. My only complaint is the higher idle temps, not sure if it's just my build but my system idles warmer than my previous Intel systems.

I'm considering a 5800X for improved memory latency.

Soldato
OP
What was shocking? Having used Intel before, my first AMD CPU was an Athlon 700, which I bought because the Athlon marked the first time that AMD actually made the best CPUs rather than the best value CPUs. It was absolutely brilliant in comparison to the Intel CPUs I could compare it to at the time. Excellent value for money too, as you could get as much as a 50% overclock out of some of them.

Just remember it being quite slow in comparison to an Intel of around the same year. Those were early Athlon days, not long after my K6 2

Soldato
2700x had some teething issues, 3700x has been rock solid. The difference I find is that with Intel there's plenty of BIOS tweaking to be done but with AMD I now leave at system defaults except memory which I tune according to the DRAM calculator (you could just set XMP for further simplicity).

Hopefully the Intel fanboys maintain their fear as it will increase my chances of picking up a new CPU on November 5th. :)

Caporegime
My 1600 was rock solid, then broke just a few months ago (I pretty much bought on release). Removed it, and it had warped. Email to AMD, and I had a brand new unit all returened within a week. Sold it on ebay and got a 3600 for about an extra £20.

Good value for money computing there!

Associate
Absolutely not, built a 3400G based SFF HTPC to replace an HP Pavillion mini that just wasn't up to the job.

That has since migrated to be my 2nd PC, and a 1600AF 1080p gaming system has taken its place.

So no, not nervous at all and neither should you be.

Back
Top Bottom