• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Un-Official Offical Queue Email Thread

Soldato
Lots of things in this world operate this way.

When you buy a new car you pay the dealer several thousand pounds and don't even know when the car will turn up. Some weeks later you get a provisional build slot, some times those allocations get shifted around. 3-6 months later the car arrives.

If you need a new sliding door, you pay £2k in deposit and wait 2-3 months for it to be manufactured and delivered before you pay the rest.

If you buy any sort of custom furniture you go into the shop and pick out the colours and then hand over another £2k, then it arrives "when it's done". When you go and get a kitchen designed, oh wait you need to pay another deposit.

Deposits/pre-orders/handing over money before the product is ready to be delivered is normal.

You still haven't come up with a better system have you? I guess your solution is to have people sitting around pressing F5 every day hoping for new stock to arrive. Whereas people like me would rather pay £800 on Day 1 knowing that our position in the queue is saved for when the stock arrives.

Just ranting about something you don't like because you're uncomfortable paying for something unless it's in your hand next day.

You're buying a custom product with the sliding door, and with a new car you're buying something with specific specs, the furniture is a custom design...so there's an understandable delay while your CUSTOM item is built. That totally different to buying a standard GPU. So that's that argument dismissed.

A better system? Here we go.

Retailers don't take thousands of orders in advance for GPU's, orders which they have no idea when they can deliver.

Who is ranting?

I'm laughing my **** off at rubes like you.

:D

Associate
I'm laughing my **** off at rubes like you.:D

It's funny because the only awkward unsophisticated person is the one who's terrified of pre-ordering an item because handing over cash without getting the item next day is an alien concept to them.

So just to confirm, your idea is that retailers should not offer pre-orders on limited items, but rather people should have to constantly F5 the site in the hopes they can get the handful of cards arriving every week?

Soldato
It's funny because the only awkward unsophisticated person is the one who's terrified of pre-ordering an item because handing over cash without getting the item next day is an alien concept to them.

So just to confirm, your idea is that retailers should not offer pre-orders on limited items, but rather people should have to constantly F5 the site in the hopes they can get the handful of cards arriving every week?

I'm sophisticated enough to know a cash grab scam when I see one....

If people wish to sit there pressing F5 all day then they are beyond help...

You know what's funny? You couldn't see the difference between ordering a custom made item and a standard one, yet it's you who thinks you're clued up with modern consumerism....

I'm not terrified of pre-ordering either, I just choose not to, because it is unessecesary and often foolish, as the 3080 debacle has once again proved, why is this?

1. Scarcity CHECK. 2. Potential issues with day 1 purchases CHECK. 3. Gouging CHECK.

It seems to me that far from being "terrified" of pre-ordering, I'm actually using common sense and patience...and that i'm unwilling to be mugged off like so many have been with the 3080. You haven't got the item the next day though, and that's not pre-ordering in the context we are discussing ie the 3080. No-one thinks getting an item the next day is pre-ordering, that just ordering, you buy something online today, it arrives tommorow. You don't understand the difference between a custom made item and a standard item, or the difference between ordering and pre-ordering...

You clearly haven't got a clue what you are talking about.

:D

Associate
Lots of things in this world operate this way.

When you buy a new car you pay the dealer several thousand pounds and don't even know when the car will turn up...
This analogy doesn't work. You turn up at a car dealership and are shown a brochure for a new car, but they can't tell you when manufacturing will start, let alone when you're likely to get one. They then turn around and ask you to pay the full cost of the car upfront. No one (with maybe the exception of your good self) would do this. Remember, we are not being asked for a deposit

Associate
If people wish to sit there pressing F5 all day then they are beyond help...

So you still haven't come up with a better system then? According to you:

1. Pre-orders are bad and retailers shouldn't offer them because apparently it's mugging people off.
2. People sitting around waiting for stock to arrive are beyond help.

So based on the fact that stock is being drip fed by Nvidia and are only getting a handful of cards per week, what is your alternative solution? Still waiting.

You know what's funny? You couldn't see the difference between ordering a custom made item and a standard one, yet it's you who thinks you're clued up with modern consumerism....

Well aware of the difference but the reason for an items scarcity is not relevant in the point I was making. You seem to have an aversion to paying for something without knowing when you will receive it and I pointed out that it applies to lots of things in life.

i'm unwilling to be mugged off like so many have been with the 3080

Nvidia mugged us all off with the paper launch. I'm simply making the best of a bad situation, £800 gets me in the queue and when it's ready I'll get it.

Or I could not get "mugged off" as you put it, wait around sitting on my hands until everyone who ordered before me gets their cards and then eventually get a card sometime in the future.

Soldato
I have come up with a better sytem you just ignored it.

I didn't say all pre-orders are bad, I think ones where retailers have no idea when they can deliver the item is bad and in this case (the 3080) are especially when they're clearly a cash grab.

No, and again reading seems to be an issue for you, I said people who sit there pressing F5 all day (waiting for items to come in stock) are beyond help.

You've had my alternative solution twice, try reading it this time, I've also outlined why I don't pre-order, giving three reasons, none of which you seem to have read.

You're not aware of the difference though, that's obvious, Jonjo also pointed this out.

I have an aversion to shelling out nearly a grand for the priveledge of waiting in a queue with no idea when my item will be delivered. If you're happy to be mugged off like this then that's up to you really, OCUK are laughing their a** off at clowns like you.

Because of rubes like you, busninesses become more and more anti-consumer, because you allow them to normalise crap like paying in advance to stand in a queue. But you're too naive to see it...

;)

Associate
I have come up with a better sytem you just ignored it.

It's difficult to find between all the drivel honestly. Why don't you clarify the ordering system you think is preferable given what we know:

1. Stock is very limited and arriving in handfuls of cards per week
2. Demand is very high.

There seems to be two options:

- No pre-orders because they don't know when stock is arriving. Therefore if you want a card you have to sit around waiting to order when stock comes in.

- Pre-orders and queue based delivery, people wait around in line and get a card when it's available.

Now you can describe this 3rd option you're so keen on.

Associate
The better system is blindingly obvious - allow people to make preorders BUT dont take their money until the product is shipped....or at the most - take a small deposit to secure your order.

Associate
The better system is blindingly obvious - allow people to make preorders BUT dont take their money until the product is shipped....or at the most - take a small deposit to secure your order.

Have you noticed how many scalpers have been buying/selling 3080s? And that's with them having to pay upfront. Imagine if they could make a ton of orders for very little outlay? Could be worse.

Unfortunately most retailers don't have very good systems when it comes to restricting orders, there are lots of ways to bypass the one per household rule.

TUF non-OC

02/10 - 181
14/10 - 175
23/10 - 168

Another week of no stock received from ASUS by the looks of it.
Just 27 days till the launch of Cyberpunk.

The only reason I've not cancelled is because I'm fairly low down the queue. :(

I do get to play around with a Palit 3080 next week, as I secured one from a sale rep that phoned up my work and offered it to us.
When he said over phone we a have a 3080 do you want it... I was like hell yeah we will take it lol.
But it does have to go into a showroom build, so it will sell pretty much as soon as I put it out on display.

Associate
So I was in position 356 and a large amount of MSI 3080 Gaming Trio's were shipped today, which is 70-100 - yet my queue position has only dropped to 335... That's a grand total of 21 cards! What happened to the 70-100 that were supposed to be getting shipped today?

Something doesn't add up, are people changing their orders and jumping the queue? I'm so close to cancelling my pre-order and being done with the poor handling of this release.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
So I was in position 356 and a large amount of MSI 3080 Gaming Trio's were shipped today, which is 70-100 - yet my queue position has only dropped to 335... That's a grand total of 21 cards! What happened to the 70-100 that were supposed to be getting shipped today?

Something doesn't add up, are people changing their orders and jumping the queue? I'm so close to cancelling my pre-order and being done with the poor handling of this release.

Gibbo said MSI had shipped, not OcUK, i.e. MSI sent the cards from their distributor to OcUK today, so they are now currently on route to OcUK. Depending on how they've been shipped, it could be another week or more before they actually arrive with OcUK.

Back
Top Bottom