Ford fiesta mk8 starting issue

Soldato
Hi

Wondering if anyone could have an idea of what the issue could be, I drove to work yesterday and after work tried to start car and it took a good 10 attempts to start it, this was over a good 10 minutes.

Its a start button and its keys kept cranking over and over trying to start.

All electrics seemed fine, radio, headlights all worked, so not sure its the battery. Its 19 plate with 4500miles on the clock so very low milage still.

Does this sound like fuel pump/filter , starter motor?

I have my car booked in for next week and presume they will do a diagnostics, just hoping to get some possible causes beforehand.

Thanks

Soldato
If it was actually turning over, I'd say like a crank sensor or immobiliser? Too young for filter.

How long was the journey? Did you move the car a short distance and stop?

Soldato
OP
If it was actually turning over, I'd say like a crank sensor or immobiliser? Too young for filter.

How long was the journey? Did you move the car a short distance and stop?

Yea that's a good point, Mrs Fiesta (Mk7) hates being started up just to move across the driveway etc, often she won't be able to start it do I have to do it (magic touch lol).

I wouldn't worry about it if it's just a one off.

Cheers for the responses, It was a 12 mile journey to work and 8 hrs later after work to go home it took ages to start.

I really hope its a one off, but I have it booked in to check it seen as its under warranty still.

Soldato
OP
Well hopefully that has sorted it. Not nice to be worried about the car failing to start...

Yeah I had been worried all week, because I work quite late, nothing worse than finishing work to find your stuck there!

I hope it was just a glitch if they could not find anything and perhaps the PCM update might have helped.

I did notice the orange engine light flash a few times when I picked car up yesterday from garage, this was when I pressed start button for just power (not while engine was running).
It went solid and then flashed 5-6 times before going solid again. No idea what that means, all I know is its normal to see that light before car starts but if you see it while driving to stop and get car to garage.
I presume it was flashing due to that PCM update as its all linked with engine management I think, perhaps the engine "computers" were still doing something in the background.

Associate
Hi there, new to forum. Fiesta ST Line auto (68reg)Won't start after daily run. Noticed later at night car locked but dash lit, eventually off, never relit. Opened and tried to start/push button, no joy. Tried everything possible with help of breakdown service too. Did notice the steering wheel has not locked. Battery okay. Any ideas please

Associate
dunno our mondeo auto had a phase where the dash stayed illuminated (its on a timer and until the pcm switches off it keep illuminated) i think they had a update for it. being a auto check the brake lights are working, when you press the pedal ? as they can stop the starting also check the shifter is fully pressed into park in case the switch is sticky, apart from that did the breakdown service scan for errors?

Soldato
The MK8 are seeing quite a few O2 sensor failures, I had one of mine go after 6000 miles, it didn't seem to affect the starting, but I guess it's possible it is on it's way out and throwing the CEL intermittently? Not sure it would prevent the car from starting though?

Back
Top Bottom