• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Buy 3900X now or wait for a 5800X

Associate
Im looking to buy a CPU upgrade for my Ryzen 3 Zen+ chip and could do with some advice
Looking at the benchmarks which have leaked online which still had this slightly ahead, do you think the Zen 2 3900X is a reasonable purchase now for around £400 or wait for the newer 5800X for about £50 more?

My use is mainly going to be gaming.
Thanks

Man of Honour
There is always a trade off going previous gen , the 5800x will be a stronger gaming chip but higher resolutions have are less affected by cpu performance.

1080p high refresh you would want a stronger cpu to push those frames rates.

The advantage of the 3900x is it's 12 cores the 5800x will have 8. The 5800x supposedly beat Intel's 10900k so look at benchmarks around that but there has been no independent testing yet to confirm this.

You need to compare 3800x with a 5800x and price to performance ratio.

Associate
OP
Yes, the 3800x also looked quite appealing as that can be got for a little over £300, but the 5800x looks to be a quite a bump over the 3700x.

I guess, in reality though, I'm not going to be disappointed with whatever I go for, so no reason why I cant wait a few weeks to see the independent testing. Hopefully the availability situation will be a little better than the recent Nvida GPU launch!:D

Man of Honour
Yes, the 3800x also looked quite appealing as that can be got for a little over £300, but the 5800x looks to be a quite a bump over the 3700x.

I guess, in reality though, I'm not going to be disappointed with whatever I go for, so no reason why I cant wait a few weeks to see the independent testing. Hopefully the availability situation will be a little better than the recent Nvida GPU launch!:D
That's the thing availability if your in no rush then it makes sense to wait.

What your system spec and what you gaming at ?

Soldato
Please wait for the reviews before you decide. So many posts about this. People seem to value rumours/leaks/gossip/presentations more than good old fashioned reviews these days.

Only a couple weeks left.

Soldato
Please wait for the reviews before you decide. So many posts about this. People seem to value rumours/leaks/gossip/presentations more than good old fashioned reviews these days.

It's not that folk value rumours over reviews! It's in absence of reviews, there isn't anything else to talk about.

Rom

Rom

Associate
And the fear that there wont be stock, I feel like if I want one, I need to just jump on it and try and get one. If i wait for reviews, they may be like 3080s, over a month after launch and a vast majority or orders have not been filled.

Associate

It's not like people will be able to buy before the reviews will be up, so I think we're gonna be okay.

If people decide now and skip reviews, that's pretty weird!

And the fear that there wont be stock, I feel like if I want one, I need to just jump on it and try and get one. If i wait for reviews, they may be like 3080s, over a month after launch and a vast majority or orders have not been filled.
I'm not trying to tempt fate here, but 3080 supply has been incredibly, historically bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
I picked up a 3800x at a good price rather than waiting - I think if you see a bargain, snap it up, otherwise wait - Either you will feel good about saving money, or feel good about having the latest - Win, win! :)

Associate
I picked up a 3800x at a good price rather than waiting - I think if you see a bargain, snap it up, otherwise wait - Either you will feel good about saving money, or feel good about having the latest - Win, win! :)
It's not a bad move, but when I'm this close it feels daft to not at least wait and see when j might want the extra grunt.

Associate
OP
That's another good point I guess for me just waiting. If this is the last of the AM4 cpu, then i may as well get the Zen 3 to give me the longer time before I have to change the motherboard.....although as mentioned above, its all swings and roundabouts really!

Back
Top Bottom