2nd car weekend toy

Associate
I am currently considering a 2nd car to have a bit of fun with. Got a budget of 5k at the most. Iv considered the normal MX-5, 350z and MR2’s what Iv had a few of in the past.
I have never actually owned a hot hatch, so Iv gone down this rabbit hole, type-r’s, ST and have taking a liking to the Volvo C30 T5. I have always like them as they just a bit different from the normal hatch back. Anyone on here owned one?

Man of Honour
A Volvo C30 sounds like a terrible weekend toy, it's just a reasonably quick every day car. If a weekend toy isn't special it just ends up being a bit pointless.

Buy a sports car or don't bother imho.

Associate
An older hot hatch or similar might be a good choice, since it could stay around the same value (or increase) depending on which you choose.
I think the C30 would be an own because you want one rather than because it's involving, though i could be wrong.

Soldato
The C30 T5 is basically a Focus ST isn’t it? If it’s modified it could easily provide enough of a driving experience to be good enough for a weekend car/toy, especially if you want to modify it yourself and want the hands-on part of ownership.

I’ve only been in a non-T5 and it was a nice experience and a much nicer place to be inside than the Focus. The seats were so comfy! I’m unsure if they’d have the same seats in the T5, I expect they would be firmer/‘sporty’.

I’d go for an MX-5 personally, although be prepared for rust issues!

Soldato
For that sort of budget, I'd imagine for a pure weekend car, you'd be looking at RS Renaults or Type Rs if you want an engaging drive over anything else.

STs might make more power, but for me if you're buying a hot hatch purely for fun, lightweight and NA is the way to go.

As suggested, if you get an older but clean Clio 172/182 for example, you may have already hit the bottom of the depreciation curve.

Associate
OP
The C30 T5 is basically a Focus ST isn’t it? If it’s modified it could easily provide enough of a driving experience to be good enough for a weekend car/toy, especially if you want to modify it yourself and want the hands-on part of ownership.

I’ve only been in a non-T5 and it was a nice experience and a much nicer place to be inside than the Focus. The seats were so comfy! I’m unsure if they’d have the same seats in the T5, I expect they would be firmer/‘sporty’.

I’d go for an MX-5 personally, although be prepared for rust issues!

Certainly want to be hands on, I am with most of my cars. I truly get the appeal of the MX-5 they are a great car to own and have some fun in. My dad owned one and I borrow it more than enough to know that they are a great car. Iv owner two MR2’s a first gen and 2nd.

Caporegime
I have a C30 T5, it’s my only car. I mean I’d recommend it as a car but I don't consider it a weekend toy pick. But there is nothing stopping you buying it for one.

When I think weekend toy I think either with a smaller engine that is RWD which I can put my foot down all the time or something with bigger engine and loud exhaust note (like a Lamborghini) if you are rich or something quirky like a Morgan or something old and classic. A C30 is none of those at stock.

I do like it's a bit different but that really is what is.

MqlldLZ.jpg

Soldato
For that sort of budget, I'd imagine for a pure weekend car, you'd be looking at RS Renaults or Type Rs if you want an engaging drive over anything else.

STs might make more power, but for me if you're buying a hot hatch purely for fun, lightweight and NA is the way to go.

As suggested, if you get an older but clean Clio 172/182 for example, you may have already hit the bottom of the depreciation curve.

I have a Clio 197 for pretty much this use, and find it excellent. Not as comfortable as a Golf GTI or similar. Nor is it as "fast". But for an absolute fun driving experience, it is great. £5k could see a Clio RS 200. Worth looking at.

I did look at an mx5 once, but it was too cramped and small for me. I'd imagine an MR2 would be similar. Fiesta ST's seem to be around the same "league" but they are a fair bit slower. Focus ST is obviously a bigger, turbocharged car. I'd even consider looking at an RS Megane if you want something a touch bigger. Although for a fun, "toy" car, the Clio does the job well.

Soldato
I have a Clio 197 for pretty much this use, and find it excellent. Not as comfortable as a Golf GTI or similar. Nor is it as "fast". But for an absolute fun driving experience, it is great. £5k could see a Clio RS 200. Worth looking at.

I did look at an mx5 once, but it was too cramped and small for me. I'd imagine an MR2 would be similar. Fiesta ST's seem to be around the same "league" but they are a fair bit slower. Focus ST is obviously a bigger, turbocharged car. I'd even consider looking at an RS Megane if you want something a touch bigger. Although for a fun, "toy" car, the Clio does the job well.

I've got a 200 Cup at the moment.

TBH I dont like it, for me it's too refined for a hot hatch, and I wouldn't have one for a 2nd car for sure, I'd definitely go 1*2.

For reference, I've had 2 MkII Golfs (one modified), a DC2 and a Twingo RS Cup and am currently turning my MkIi supercharged MX5 into an Exocet.

The Clio is the one I wouldn't have again TBH.

But I appreciate that its personal taste, hence why I gave a list of things I do like to give my advice some reference points.

Associate
If I was going for a second car for weekend enjoyment and therefore had no practicality issues, I would go for a Caterham style car. I would also make sure that I was able to go the the track with it.

An 'ordinary' car would not be my choice. I know the caterham example is too expensive, but I would imagine that would be more involving than a run of the mill hatchback, even a 'hot hatch'. Without the excitement of driving something different, wouldn't your normal car be just as good, if not better?

Soldato
If I was going for a second car for weekend enjoyment and therefore had no practicality issues, I would go for a Caterham style car. I would also make sure that I was able to go the the track with it.

An 'ordinary' car would not be my choice. I know the caterham example is too expensive, but I would imagine that would be more involving than a run of the mill hatchback, even a 'hot hatch'. Without the excitement of driving something different, wouldn't your normal car be just as good, if not better?

Theres a massive difference between a Caterham and a hot hatch for me.

Although I'm building a space frame car based on the MX5 running gear so I know what you're saying, living up here in Northumberland if I had to choose out of a hot hatch and a open cockpit, I'd take the hot hatch.

You can have a great sunny drive out, hit the Scottish borders, turn round and drive back through a rainstorm!

Plus we tend to thrash cross country with tents strapped down and do wild camping at the end of the drive.

Soldato
I'm thinking you have to be a bit of a fanboi to want one these days but, IMO, Imprezas make decent weekend cars.

Nice, straight, unmolested examples are holding money and likely to go up if well looked after. Sound cool, again IMO, and feel reasonably quick.

Man of Honour
If your weekday car is a caterham or something like that, then yeah, makes good sense to go for that volvo shopper as a weekend toy.

Associate
OP
I'm thinking you have to be a bit of a fanboi to want one these days but, IMO, Imprezas make decent weekend cars.

Nice, straight, unmolested examples are holding money and likely to go up if well looked after. Sound cool, again IMO, and feel reasonably quick.

Always wanted a classic shape Impreza so that could be an option

Back
Top Bottom