The new Arsenal Club Thread - *No Spoilers & Read OP Before Posting*

Soldato

I would say more like a guilty conscience.

I remember debating with a few on here that it didn't show him in good light by not accepting any salary drops. Greedy players not realising the consequences for other staff behind the scenes that are likely to be impacted. Yes the mascot might have been on pennies compared to the players, but I don't think that makes Ozil some kind of saviour for paying the guys salary instead.

Associate

I remember debating with a few on here that it didn't show him in good light by not accepting any salary drops. Greedy players not realising the consequences for other staff behind the scenes that are likely to be impacted. Yes the mascot might have been on pennies compared to the players, but I don't think that makes Ozil some kind of saviour for paying the guys salary instead.

It was pennies the club couldn't afford, so anyone stepping in surely looks kind of saviour.

I can understand some of the resentment that players not agreeing to pay cuts despite being paid millions makes them an awful person, but really players can't be blamed for sticking to their contractual agreements which the club signed them on.

Yes it'd be very noble of them if they agreed to pay cuts so that more jobs could be saved or if the club could make more reductions in other areas, but that's not a reasonable business proposition. It is a business after all.

Last edited:
Caporegime

You just spent £45m on a player, I don't think Ozil not accepting a paycut is the reason you're sacking people. It's nothing to do with greed, Arsenal are not hard up for money.

Don
OP
And Arsenal paying £45m on a player is the reason why Ozil was right to refuse the paycut. It was reported in the Athletic at the time of the 50 odd redundancies that a number of the squad weren't happy as the paycut they agreed to was meant to prevent job loses.

Man of Honour
Yeah, I think it was reported that at least 3 players refused but only Ozil's name was 'leaked'.

If anything the redundancies prove he was right to question where the money would be going.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Can’t believe they plan on paying Ozil those wages for the season and have no intention of playing him.

Why does that surprise you. His wages are a moot point. He is getting paid those no matter what so the simple question is whether his value to the team is positive or negative. If the manager thinks that the squad will be better off without him there its a simple decision.

Associate
Did Arsenal even try to sell/loan him out? Even a rubbish deal is better than paying him if you absolutely refuse to play him.

There is no way this is a sporting decision, on Arsenal's part.

Soldato
Did Arsenal even try to sell/loan him out? Even a rubbish deal is better than paying him if you absolutely refuse to play him.

There is no way this is a sporting decision, on Arsenal's part.
They did but ozil refused.

Got offered a control in the middle East and he said no. Also a Turkish club was also looking at him too and arsenal tried to offer a settlement for his remaining contract by offering some of it not all

Man of Honour
Just seems silly to have him getting paid but not registered in the squad though, compared to letting him join another club even if still paying the majority of wages. I mean even if the new club can only pay him £50k/week that's like £2m saved and stops the all the distractions of having him around, speaking to the press or whatever.

Only possible explanation I can think of is if they think there's a possibility to offload him in January.

Personally I think he should either be in the squad (even if not the team) or if there is some major issue behind the scenes then sell him.

Soldato
Just seems silly to have him getting paid but not registered in the squad though, compared to letting him join another club even if still paying the majority of wages. I mean even if the new club can only pay him £50k/week that's like £2m saved and stops the all the distractions of having him around, speaking to the press or whatever.

Only possible explanation I can think of is if they think there's a possibility to offload him in January.

Personally I think he should either be in the squad (even if not the team) or if there is some major issue behind the scenes then sell him.
There was a loan deal like that but some of the parties involved said no.

Whether that's ozil saying nope, or arsenal saying Na you pay all his wages, you don't know

Man of Honour
How long before the knives start to come out for Arteta? Worst start since 1981 and averaging less than a goal a game, just lost the derby, only a point from the 3 prior matches anyway against teams who are all placed 10th or lower. He seems to be popular with the media but if the results stay this way eyebrows will surely be raised. Emery lasted 13 games and was in 8th place (a point off 5th). Arteta's had 11 matches this season and in 15th.

We seem to have decent amounts of possession, can launch attacks but maybe lacking that end product. I'm not suggesting Ozil is the answer to all the problems but you would've thought if you are lacking goals then a creative spark like him would be a useful tool off the bench. Having him completely excluded from the squad takes that option of the table.

Personally I think we should be giving Arteta time to mould a team with his philosophy given my expectations are not top four anymore, but in the modern cut-throat world can we actually expect him to get that time?

Soldato
How long before the knives start to come out for Arteta? Worst start since 1981 and averaging less than a goal a game, just lost the derby, only a point from the 3 prior matches anyway against teams who are all placed 10th or lower. He seems to be popular with the media but if the results stay this way eyebrows will surely be raised. Emery lasted 13 games and was in 8th place (a point off 5th). Arteta's had 11 matches this season and in 15th.

We seem to have decent amounts of possession, can launch attacks but maybe lacking that end product. I'm not suggesting Ozil is the answer to all the problems but you would've thought if you are lacking goals then a creative spark like him would be a useful tool off the bench. Having him completely excluded from the squad takes that option of the table.

Personally I think we should be giving Arteta time to mould a team with his philosophy given my expectations are not top four anymore, but in the modern cut-throat world can we actually expect him to get that time?
Definetly give him time

Soldato
I really felt we had turned a corner at the end of last season, playing some decent football, lots of pressing, beat a few of the big boys etc. Its like the whole ethos has been changed and i don't really know what we're doing now, we're still not defending well and now cant create any chances. I think we need to give him a couple more windows unless things get worse.

Soldato
I really felt we had turned a corner at the end of last season, playing some decent football, lots of pressing, beat a few of the big boys etc. Its like the whole ethos has been changed and i don't really know what we're doing now, we're still not defending well and now cant create any chances. I think we need to give him a couple more windows unless things get worse.

Its the players.

Nothing has changed in terms of tactics and training according to Arteta.

Also i think its all went to **** when Ozil was ommited from the squad. he is the rotten apple that is single handedly destroying the club and dressing room i imagine.

He needs to get rid of Ozil this January.

Waste of space

Back
Top Bottom