** NEW SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G7/G9 MONITORS 27-49" AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

Associate
Got my G9 all set up and so far so good. Thought I had some dead pixels at first but they were just flecks of dust or something lol. No light bleed or HDR flicker as far as I can tell.

I'm coming from a 4K 32" monitor so my main thing I thought I'd miss is how sharp texts looks, but I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised at how crisp everything looks. I've only ever had 1080p/4K in the past so I expected 1440p to look a lot worse than it does.

Gonna need to do some tests in games first, although after booting up a game or two I definitely need to download some 32:9 fixes.

Just checked in the settings and I'm already on version 5.4 (1005.4), so looks like Samsung is updating their ones now so we don't have to do it.

Edit: Okay, so I can't actually boot up games in 240hz mode? It constantly tries to find the signal, switching the display on and off non-stop. I can only get it to stop if I hit ctrl+alt+del. I guess I wouldn't really be able to run anything at 240hz anyway, but as someone who was coming from a 60hz screen, I was having fun moving the mouse around at 240hz lol.

Last edited:
Associate
There are reports on reddit that firmware 5.4 solves flicker on Pascal series cards. Other users have solved the flickering problem by disabling Windows HDR in the Windows Display settings. I'm receiving mine next week (seemingly), hoping I get a good one!
Unfortunately my monitor came with firmware 5.4 and I'm using a later Nvidia driver - or at least one past the point where the flicker was reportedly fixed. That said, I'm just updating to the latest driver now and will report back if it fixes anything.

Associate
I got my 27 inch G7 yesterday and it has flicker, which is annoying as it has no other issues. No dead pixels, nothing. Even backlight bleed is good. Flicker is not present in every game. Of the ones I've tested its most noticeable in Destiny 2. Control and Monster Hunter World are both flicker free. Any game that requires "enabled for windowed and fullscreen mode" (basically all Unity games) has flicker. Risk of Rain 2 is especially bad. On the up side the displays static refresh rate is so high I haven't noticed any screen tearing in any game with v-sync turned off.

What is the play here? Do I hold on to it and hope for the magical firmware update that will fix this or do I contact Overclockers support and return it?

Associate
Looks like I spoke too soon. I'm now experiencing some flickering in Shadow of the Tomb Raider at 120hz. If you lower it to 60hz in game, it fixes the problem for some reason.

Associate
what gpu are you using as certain gpus cant run monitors resolution at 240hz so may be down to what card you have

I'm on 120, not 240 (240 is fine on the desktop, but doesn't work in games at all for me). I'm running an RTX 2080. I've also noticed that there's a firmware update, I saw someone mention version 5.4 so I assumed that was the latest, but there's one from 5th October (version 6.2) so I'll give that one a go now and hope it fixes my issues.

Associate
Evening. Newly arrived from the `where`s my 3080` therapy thread.
new G9 arrives from OC tomorrow, but after an hour reading this thread excitement now replaced by dread
watch this space....

Associate
Morning. New toy due today. Will report any issues. Is the stock dp1.4 cable good enough?
Do higher quality third party dp1.4 cables make a difference?
cheers

Associate
So here is a link to a video that I took of the problem. I basically show the in game settings first, and then load the game, you'll see the flicker on the loading screen (about 28 seconds onwards):

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uLPaJ95Q94Rgp5U3A

Thx for sharing

Yes, I see the brightness ups and downs. This is pretty annoying (worst than I imagined).

And you say that the first one (almost) didn’t have this problem?

Associate
You should be able to use G-Sync? Turn both G-Sync and V-Sync on in the nvidia control panel then above 60fps the monitor should match your fps and below 60fps it should double it to have no tearing without skipping frames.

The G-Sync option isn’t appearing anywhere in control panel so I don’t think I can. I will double check though.

Update: Nope, no Set up G-Sync menu option. I think its because the screen is G-Sync Compatible and has no G-Sync Module. This mode requires a 10-Series GPU or higher, so my 970 can't enable it.

Last edited:
Associate
New Nvidia drivers fixes the 240hz issue for 30 series cards (I also had the issue on my 2080 when I tried opening a game, but that's fixed now).

I figured out that if I turn off exclusive fullscreen in Shadow of the Tomb Raider, it seems to get rid of the flickering issue I was having (it would only happen when I looked at beams of light). But now I've just tried out Jedi Fallen Knight and I get flicker with adaptive sync on, so that's frustrating.

Last edited:
Caporegime
To the people that are receiving these at the minute, did you pre-order some time ago ? Buying one of these next month and OcUk currently has the monitor as just out of stock - no date or anything. For the last week or two they've been showing pre-order with a date in early november, but now there's nothing. It appears most other websites don't have stock either. Probably explains why some have commented about receiving older models that are no doubt just being sent out with issues, being returned and then sent on to somebody else.

Associate
The flicker with Adaptive sync on is in most cases likely related to LFC (Low framerate compensation). My G7 flickers whenever it moves across 70hz which is where LFC currently kicks in on mine. This is probably why Doom eternal and such games that run really smoothly don't exhibit it as much, yet SOTTR that probably runs at less fps due to how demanding the game is will have this issue. Also why game loading screens (Odyssey example above) show it as a lot of games stutter on load. Also probably why how extreme the flicker is, is system dependant. Hardly bothers me as I'm rarely ever playing anything below 70fps and get minimal stutter on loading screens in a few games. That and my old Acer monitor flickered a lot worse than this too.

If you boot up a game then in the monitor settings go to support ---> information and you should see the Hz change around a lot if adaptive sync is on. See if the flicker corelates to it going across a certain Hz.

Associate
@josh1quattro So the minimum freesync range on this is 70Hz when running at 240Hz?
Does it only flicker as it enters / exits LFC or the entire time that its in LFC?
How well does it handle stuff thats capped at 60FPS then when running at a desktop refresh of 240Hz? An example would be the PS3 emulator RPCS3 which supports g-sync in windowed mode but obviously mostly caps at 30fps or 60fps depending on game.
If I picked one of these up id rather set and forget at 240Hz than having to change it based on games with a fps cap below the minimum range.

Worth noting that my 2 non primary, non HDR gsync screens flicker anyway when the main monitor is in G-Sync, probably a windows DWM issue.

Associate
*Sharp salute* Report from the front: New toy running. August manufacture. No issues at all - so far.
The new nvidia driver arrived just in time this morning - am able 240hz on my 3080. Haven`t tried hdr yet
Thing looks gigantic on my desk, but the curve is kewl.
Only game tried so far is WoW... sorry "My name is Pete and I`m a WoW addict"
Bring on the mean streets of Night City...

Associate
*Sharp salute* Report from the front: New toy running. August manufacture. No issues at all - so far.
The new nvidia driver arrived just in time this morning - am able 240hz on my 3080. Haven`t tried hdr yet
Thing looks gigantic on my desk, but the curve is kewl.
Only game tried so far is WoW... sorry "My name is Pete and I`m a WoW addict"
Bring on the mean streets of Night City...
Which driver version was released?

Back
Top Bottom