Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Man of Honour
OP
Yep, just done that and all good. Just had to peel the paper filter off before I did the plunge.

aren't you just binning the filter as well? Its compostable as well...

Used up the last of my beans last night. Waiting for delivery today.

i've managed to do the opposite for once and have about 3kg of coffee for once, i'm usually running out about a week before my subs come in!

Soldato
wait - it's a bit more like Apollo 13 - no ?

puck photographed - maybe 20s after shot, I first tipped off water remaining on puck surface, I always have that ray?
when I stopped shot it hadn't show any sign of breakthrough/channeling, but several pucks showed same abscess,
I wonder if explanation is that I don't tamp as tightly at rear of pf ?

50508446883_b1ed8bb338_b_d.jpg

Caporegime
I flipped it round, and now there are 2 dents lol

I dunno.....perhaps it just happens to line up with one of the holes in the shower screen, i may need to keep moving the screen until it covers all 4 so there is no direct "jets".

I did watch a video last night on tamping on Youtube, they do a few things I might try, like when putting the grounds in, shake it with the niche cup still on top. Shaking breaks up lumps and mix it up more, before distrubting and tamping.

Man of Honour
OP
i'm sure James Hoffman does a little swirl after inverting the grounds cup into the PF (from memory). I do quite want a dosing cup, motta do one I may have to order...
I have been reusing them, just rinse it off and leave it in the cap to dry after rinsing out the rest. Been reading about the metal filters which I may try just for testing sake really.

a little out of date but this is quite interesting: https://perfectdailygrind.com/2015/01/aeropress-filter-comparison-the-big-test/

Caporegime
aren't you just binning the filter as well? Its compostable as well...

i've managed to do the opposite for once and have about 3kg of coffee for once, i'm usually running out about a week before my subs come in!
They've ballsed the order and it wasn't actually shipped :| They haven't responded to my email eirher so I doubt it's going to be shipped before tomorrow. TWO DAYS WITHOUT COFFEE?!

Soldato
I want to make an order online for a few bags....any recommendations?

Prefer medium to medium dark roasts. Not into super dark roast beans.

And anywhere with offer codes?

Neighbourhood coffee are great, every coffee I've had from them is excellent.

Lots of really nice lighter roast single origins with loads of depth of flavour. Their speciality blend espresso is really good if you like it fruity.

By far the best roaster I've found so far.

Soldato
I want to make an order online for a few bags....any recommendations?

I've ordered with a few different roasters and my favourites have been North Star Roasters (especially their Docks House Blend) and Neighbourhood Coffee (their chocolate collection was epic).

My least favourite was Dorset Coffee, I got some Australian Skyberry from them and it was as bland as anything with a muddy taste to it. Not keen.

The postman has just delivered my order for Horsham Coffee Roaster, so I'll see what their coffee is like tomorrow.

Caporegime
That's a 22g basket, with 17g in it that time. I took another pic about 10secs later because I just knew someone would mention the saturation :p and it wasn't quite as wet as that pic shows:

YkBX3e9l.jpg

Also the E61 design means that some water will always be retained until you remove the PF (where it promptly drops onto the PF/puck anyway). There is always some water backed up to the valve inside the head itself.

Man of Honour
OP
Also the E61 design means that some water will always be retained until you remove the PF (where it promptly drops onto the PF/puck anyway). There is always some water backed up to the valve inside the head itself.

Exactly, the 3 way valve in the gaggia is great for a dry puck, e61 less so - its annoying when turning out the puck as it can make a real mess.

As were posting our pucks heres this mornings (needs a bit more dialing in):

FtDj4iUl.jpg

Soldato
Exactly, the 3 way valve in the gaggia is great for a dry puck, e61 less so - its annoying when turning out the puck as it can make a real mess.
we don't know if Ray had tipped the fluid off, he had commented he had water remaining in new basket, after warming shot, I tip the fluid into the sink before ejecting puck.

The water filling up the headspace between puck&plate, itself, can be quite a bit, tablespoon, maybe puck disgorges when no longer under pressure.
I've not studied if the pro baristas show this part of process.

Caporegime
I just had one of "those" cups of coffee, the one that could have been delivered on the wings of angels from the heavens, and you wouldn't bat an eye for one second in believing that that's where it came from. The kind of cup where you have just two regrets - firstly that there is only a finite amount of it, and secondly, knowing that you won't reproduce it willingly no matter how well you replicate the variables again.

I just had to share. It was that good.

Farewell, coffee I just drank. You will be remembered.

(Ps. The beans I used: https://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/nicaragua-finca-limoncillo-pn-caturra)

Caporegime
I just had one of "those" cups of coffee, the one that could have been delivered on the wings of angels from the heavens, and you wouldn't bat an eye for one second in believing that that's where it came from. The kind of cup where you have just two regrets - firstly that there is only a finite amount of it, and secondly, knowing that you won't reproduce it willingly no matter how well you replicate the variables again.

I just had to share. It was that good.

Farewell, coffee I just drank. You will be remembered.

(Ps. The beans I used: https://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/nicaragua-finca-limoncillo-pn-caturra)

lol I can't say I ever had that feeling towards a cup of coffee.

Soldato
I purchased a De'Longhi Dedica about 5 months ago now, loving it but struggling with consistency and how much to put in?! I don't really have time to weigh it each time before work, the spoon they give I do a full flat one of those but it always feels not enough?

Back
Top Bottom