I Designed a Geekfest 1990s PC Gaming Mug

Soldato
I know I am missing some crucial games, and you might have chosen different ones to show but this is my mug lol.

That's lovely but you're overkill on shooters. the 1990s was also the golden age of space combat sims like Wing Commander and Freespace.

My brother is particularly proud of completing the final level of Doom on Nightmare mode in one minute 12 seconds.

That's slow. If you're fully loaded, all you need to do is run out, turn right, and fire the BFG a few times. That level is also easy if you start with nothing - as long as you're nimble. Run out of the tunnel, activate the spider demon, then turn back and run all the way around the edge activating the other demons and you get them to kill each other. Yes, I'm a nerd for remembering that.

Soldato
I used to love games like Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle and the Discworld games.

what I also loved about gaming back then was the product itself. It was a real treat to get games with proper boxes then.

I remember the box to Discworld 2. It was like a work of art with beautiful drawings and gold embossed lettering. I treasured the box as much as the game back then.

I used to love reading the manual on the way back from the shops while I was on the bus.

Soldato
We went from Doom to Quake 2, then HL in about 5 years in the 90s. Progress was progress back then.

But now graphics have barely improved in the past decade and I think we have gone backwards in many areas lol

Permabanned
Another like here. What's the top middle one?

Did anyone play Monkey Island as a kid? I got stuck on the catapult section. You hurled stones at a banana tree and there was a monkey roaming around... Never did figure it out.

Suspended
Yup, that’s it.

I supposed you could also have put Wolfenstein 3D on there too. Perhaps Descent, Lemmings, F19 Stealth Fighter, Gunship 2000 etc. Where does it stop :D

Rise of the Triad, Hexen, Heretic, ooh it’s all coming back now.

Blood.

GTA

Bloody hell ROTT was a weird game, the levels must've been made by someone on LSD.

Back
Top Bottom