• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone slightly nervous about going red?

Associate
I always bought intel, until Zen 1 and I've never looked back. Upgraded to Zen 2 and will now upgrade to 3.

Got sick of intel's product segmentation, core number limitations and constant socket changes. Yes,. absolute gaming performance was a bit less on Zen 1 but over all the processors are simply better. The long socket support has also been great.

Associate
Never had anything other than intel and speccing a build now and whilst I have held on for Zen 3 I have to say Im still wary of changing from what I know. Thats human nature for you.

Have all the basics ordered, just holding fire for now on Mobo and CPU.

When the release was announced I did swing towards an i9 again as price dropped to £479 for the 10900k which at £60 cheaper than the 5900 made it the favourite, but now waiting for the reviews.

I have no brand loyalty, all Im really interested in is speed per pound. If the Zen3 can beat the 10900k at the same price I will certainly be considering one.

Soldato
I came from a 4790k to a 3600. I was nervous but the reviews from people on here and the benchmarks assisted in making the jump. I have zero regrets and feel the 3600 runs better than the 4790k did, it's certainly cooler and hella quicker.

Can't wait to drop a 5900x in there.

Associate
Not at all. My previous AMD system has been sold 14 years ago.(holy crap, I was a child ). Now i sold my binned 10900K, and purchased a 3600 and a B550 Toma for the time, the Zen 3 become available. There is no issue at all... Well, OC is not that interesting as it was with the Intel, both apart from that, there is nothing to see. Cannot wait for the new CPU line up.

Associate
Switching to a 5900X for ~£1000 (motherboard, RAM, CPU) is quite a big jump and have worries this micro stuter or other issues will plague my the AMD setup.

Does anyone feel similar? Does anyone have Ryzen builds that are fantasic with no issues at all? Anyone with issues?
Never felt that way but I remember the good old days when you could upgrade from an intel to a Cyrix cpu. I upgraded from a I7 to a amd 3900 which has been fantastic so far. I’m sure you will have no regrets.

Soldato
Does anyone have Ryzen builds that are fantasic with no issues at all? Anyone with issues?

Lost count of how many machines I've built, from 1-3 series and Threadripper, after the 1xxx series and improving the AEGSA , along with better RAM support it has been pretty much smooth sailing, unless you are a single builder and you got board that needed flashing, that has been fixes with BIOS flash back built into most boards now though.

I've got a few systems in use right now day-today, a 2200G, 2600X, 4650G, and the best of the lot a 3500X that I won at auction for £16 with bent pins :D

Soldato
OP
Good stuff, thanks all. In the coming months i'll be hopefully getting a 5900X and selling my i7 bundle (motherboard, ram, cpu) Noctua U14 i'll use on the 5900X

Soldato
Never had anything other than intel and speccing a build now and whilst I have held on for Zen 3 I have to say Im still wary of changing from what I know...

...I have no brand loyalty

That's a bit contradictory. :confused:

You say you'll buy Ryzen if it's faster at the same price, but I think you might have chosen the wrong generation to cling to Intel. AMD aren't the budget brand anymore. You may need to pay extra for extra performance.

Unfortunately, you may also have a gouge tax to pay if the chips are popular as this now appears to be standard practice in the industry outside of the truly large online retailers.

Soldato
I really liked my Athlon systems and was more than happy to go back to AMD from my 2500K. Very pleased with my X570/3700X/5700XT PC. Fast, quiet and pretty cool with a drop in upgrade available soon. What's not to like? :cool:

Soldato
I went from an i7 8700K at 5GHz to a ThreadRipper 3960X. I was a little apprehensive after the early cold boot and memory issues, but everything just booted first try (stock CPU + XMP/DOCP RAM) and worked flawlessly ever since. I've noticed no stutter, slow downs or anything else in single-threaded workloads, and multicore is obviously another world compared to Intel's offerings. The 5000 series Ryzen chips are supposed to match or exceed Intel in even single threaded workloads, so I wouldn't even hesitate. No regrets at all for me.

Not only are you getting equal or greater processing power, you're using less energy, getting much a much newer technology process, and making a ton less heat than on Intel.

Associate
I'm nervous too to change over to AMD; especially when it comes to the BIOS settings and requiring AMD drivers? The last AMD I had was an Opteron 146. Only got back into pc's last year after a 9 year break and presently have an i7 8700 which I found easy to setup in bios etc.

Are AMD boards easy to setup and what extra drivers are needed etc compared to an Intel setup please?

Soldato
I'm nervous too to change over to AMD; especially when it comes to the BIOS settings and requiring AMD drivers? The last AMD I had was an Opteron 146. Only got back into pc's last year after a 9 year break and presently have an i7 8700 which I found easy to setup in bios etc.

Are AMD boards easy to setup and what extra drivers are needed etc compared to an Intel setup please?

There's no differences that I can think of. If you're using Windows 10, Linux or similar then it's basically plug and play. You can update the chipset drivers from AMD's website (same as you could from Intel's) but other than that there's nothing worth mentioning.

Associate
Built most of my systems with Intel chips and only had 2-3 AMD ones, the only one which failed was a P3 and I've never had another chip outright die on me like that one did but I don't hold it against Intel, stuff can just break, releases with glaring design flaws that all break eventually are what you want to hold against a company not the rare exceptions.

Soldato

Pretty much plug and play. If anything they are easier. Install W10, install chipset drivers, install graphics drivers and done. You're getting most of the performance without even having to think about overclocking.

Back
Top Bottom