Votes: 12 18.2%

Votes: 2 3.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
BBX9SRT.png
Portimao
When was the track built?
The Autodromo Internacional do Algarve – known more colloquially as Portimao, after the port city it sits half an hour outside of – was opened in the autumn of 2008, with construction of the permanent facility completed in just seven months, and at a cost of €195 million.

When was its first Grand Prix?
Portimao, like Mugello – another track that joined the F1 calendar in 2020 – has never hosted a Formula 1 World Championship event. The track was used for F1 pre-season testing in the winter of 2008-09, however – while several drivers on the grid, including Daniel Ricciardo, Charles Leclerc and Valtteri Bottas, experienced the Portuguese circuit during their junior careers.

What’s the circuit like?
Rather like Austin’s Circuit of The Americas, Portimao is a modern venue with elevation change baked into its layout. The Ricardo Pena-designed 4.6-km lap sends drivers swooping up hill and down dale, before culminating in a plunge down to the final right-hander at Galp leading back onto the pit straight.

TV Times
Sky:
yjozvWr.png

C4:
Saturday - Quali Highlights 5.30pm
Sunday - Race Highlights 6.30pm

Track Diagram & Information
1PP6yoa.png

Weather Forecast
7MEJ5dc.png

WDC Standings
8OvsulD.png

Constructors' Championship Standings
sbgpH1Y.png

Practice 1
dNNtqXc.png

Practice 2
0gcAKix.png

Practice 3
vmqWmgj.png

Qualifying
YQupGvB.png

Race
OeYfAfL.png

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Early race thread!

Partly because I'm really looking forward to seeing Portimao with F1 cars, but mainly because I won't be near a PC to create a post next week.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Thanks as always Shimmy

This.

Also, the first race in a hot minute that I've actually looked forward to. Mostly because I want to see how they go at this circuit (joy of joys, a race circuit not designed by Tilke!). Still, I'm not expecting anything other than Yet Another Mercedes Romp™.

Soldato
I shall be watching this on C4 from now on. £70 per month for Sky and kinda got bored of F1 recently. No one else in the house really uses sky so £800 for F1 felt a bit decadent :)

Caporegime
I shall be watching this on C4 from now on. £70 per month for Sky and kinda got bored of F1 recently. No one else in the house really uses sky so £800 for F1 felt a bit decadent :)

C4s coverage is better.

Less Bordem as its highlights. The team are funny (I think so) and its just a nice atmosphere.

I saw sky coverage once at my parents house. Thought it was poor.

Also, means you don't miss out on doing stuff in day as its an evening show.

Man of Honour
Just watched the Mercedes track guide. Looks an interesting track to drive, not sure there's going to be a huge amount of overtaking, but no change there really.

Man of Honour
Going to miss this one unfortunately.

@EVH notice the earlier start time :p

I pay for 4K, I struggle to watch sport in anything else now. The F1 channel isn’t cheap though, but we’d have sky anyway. After Hamilton leaves, who knows. F1 is becoming a bit Americanised for me.

Caporegime
Turkey and COTA are both pretty decent circuits and show that Tilke can actually design something that is interesting.

The problem with Tilke isn't so much that he can't design a good circuit, but that he was called on to design far too many. They're not all awful, but it seemed like he only had a couple of good circuits in him and the rest are somewhere between garbage and so so. It doesn't help that a lot of them were built in pretty unpromising locations. Good circuits need elevation changes.

Soldato
I honestly find CotA dull. There are a few little sections that borrow from other racetracks, such as SIlverstone and Istanbul, but other than that, it's just meh. Even with the elevations.

Back
Top Bottom