Laurence Fox

Man of Honour
That is because they changed their link after the controversy. Please see my screenshot and then notice the difference now stating "online support group" in the link.
Thanks for this. So if I understand correctly, they previously had a reference to setting up a safe space further to the BLM movement.

If that is correct... Uh, meh? I still don’t see why that is so terrible. When people refer to BLM they are often referring to rallying support for racial equality in light of adversity faced by black people. I’m aware that there are some radical (or at least poorly thought through) political ideals that are promoted by BLM as an organisation, but from what Sainsbury’s have said in that screenshot you posted I think it’s a giant galactic leap to say they are promoting racism and segregation. It’s not like they are even expressly saying that they support everything BLM as an organisation does, which would about the threshold where Laurence would start to have a reasonable point.

In summary, Sainsbury’s appear to have referenced a political group in what is an obvious attempt to show there support for a social cause. It was, at the very worst, clumsy. I would struggle to even go that far tbh.

Promoting racism though...?

Soldato
Did you call me racist? If so that statement is for you.

Lol

Look, Tony, yes I called you a racist. I did, because you are. You clearly have a different opinion of Fox because he's white. Numerous times it was you who played the race card in this thread. It was you who dismissed Fox entirely until challenged, because you thought he was saying nasty things about BLM...because he's white. None of that was me. I have not ever said a bad thing about anybody in reference to where they come from, or the colour of their skin. Feel free to prove that wrong but until you do, sorry, that accusation is as baseless as the rest of the drivel you've posted.

:D intentional?

You know i had to look that up. Spade is a slur, really? wow. The phrase predates the use of the word as a racial slur though and to be absolutely clear, I used the phrase the way it was intended to be used. It was not a racial slur. Funny though.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Thanks for this. So if I understand correctly, they previously had a reference to setting up a safe space further to the BLM movement.

If that is correct... Uh, meh? I still don’t see why that is so terrible. When people refer to BLM they are often referring to rallying support for racial equality in light of adversity faced by black people. I’m aware that there are some radical (or at least poorly thought through) political ideals that are promoted by BLM as an organisation, but from what Sainsbury’s have said in that screenshot you posted I think it’s a giant galactic leap to say they are promoting racism and segregation. It’s not like they are even expressly saying that they support everything BLM as an organisation does, which would about the threshold where Laurence would start to have a reasonable point.

In summary, Sainsbury’s appear to have referenced a political group in what is an obvious attempt to show there support for a social cause. It was, at the very worst, clumsy. I would struggle to even go that far tbh.

Promoting racism though...?
If the assumption is that the safe space was for black employees only, as was the trend with safe spaces, then it promotes segregation at a minor level.

To me, it is "meh" too - however I'm also not blind to the negative impact BLM, and to a lesser extent Black History month have. And I'm also not blind to his requirement for controversy as a platform.

Soldato
Lol

Look, Tony, yes I called you a racist. I did, because you are. You clearly have a different opinion of Fox because he's white. Numerous times it was you who played the race card in this thread. It was you who dismissed Fox entirely until challenged, because you thought he was saying nasty things about BLM...because he's white. None of that was me. I have not ever said a bad thing about anybody in reference to where they come from, or the colour of their skin. Feel free to prove that wrong but until you do, sorry, that accusation is as baseless as the rest of the drivel you've posted.
I dont criticise Fox because he is white I did it because I think he is an arse. And a potential dangerous one at that.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
You know i had to look that up. Spade is a slur, really? wow. The phrase predates the use of the word as a racial slur though and to be absolutely clear, I used the phrase the way it was intended to be used. It was not a racial slur. Funny though.
Yeh yeh, good try mate :p

Man of Honour
We know is wasn't an intentional slur :)

But it's a good example of how this country has progressed and improved in the last 50 years. I remember it being in very common use in the 1970's. It was so common that it was just casually thrown around. Nowadays anyone using it intentionally would quite rightly be told to stop using it. It shows just how much things have improved. Yes we can still improve things further. But the vast majority of people in the UK would hate to accidentally use it.

Caporegime
I’m with Tony on this specific matter. Laurence himself seems to link in his tweet to this webpage:

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/gb/groceries/new---trending/black-history-month?storeId=10151&langId=44&krypto=OLAd+IuUyN0HSm7V4fdCv9wR69SV+caQHVCjkc+QjgmpD0PEPCo08TKTw26ElP/WbY7O0+xhaYZ3H2YOx/JdReqH9qPVdvog4TE0d9b7fq69Zn7Hw/BP3NRWYskjZCbIxZoFdN4RWidII6/SK65QQDDXxN7wxsotaeA6qzNGe3I=&ddkey=https:gb/groceries/new---trending/black-history-month

From that webpage, is it really fair to say on this webpage that Sainsbury’s are promoting racism and segregation? Really?

I would agree that all of the social justice stuff is becoming incredibly tiring due to being utterly inescapable / over exposure, but it seems that everyone that has a good point to make on this topic just has to jump to absolutes and ends up herp derping.

Yes. They've created something specifically for one race. How is that not driving segregation and racism? It's giving a benefit to someone because of their race to the exclusion of others of different races...

Man of Honour
If the assumption is that the safe space was for black employees only, as was the trend with safe spaces, then it promotes segregation at a minor level.
Hmm. For a start, that would be an assumption as it doesn’t say it’s for black people only. But more to the point, isn’t the idea of a ‘BLM safe space’ exclusive to other races sort of a theoretical nonsense? I mean... who else other than black people is a BLM safe space possibly going to be aimed at? :p

I do appreciate that there is a valid point to be made here in relation to the purported over-promotion of diversity-based issues, but I just feel that with both ‘sides’ of this (terrible) debate there is way too much jumping on each other at the slightest hint of any ‘unacceptable’ behaviour, to the detriment of both ‘sides’.

Basically, if you find yourself agreeing with a ‘side’ too often, you’re probably wrong :p

(‘You’re’ in the generic sense, not you specifically, of course)

Soldato
If you want to speak about why the P-word is pretty much dead and the N-word is still alive and used then that's a different debate
It's alive and kicking my man, unfortunately. Not just here, I got it in Poland a few years back too.
No you must be wrong. Youve been told it is pretty much dead. The rules of this thread seems to be about what other people think is right about racism.

Man of Honour
Yes. They've created something specifically for one race. How is that not driving segregation and racism? It's giving a benefit to someone because of their race to the exclusion of others of different races...

I just dealt with this in my post above responding to @NVP but restating this somewhat: where does it say that it’s exclusively for black people? I think you’ll find it doesn’t. But, more importantly, you are latching onto a “theoretical absurdity” - who else would possibly want to participate in the aforementioned safe space? :p

Is your point that it’s manifestly unjust that a white person theoretically (I say this word because of your assumption) cannot join a ‘safe space’ created for black people in light of the police brutality issues in the USA? If so... is that not a little... absurd?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I genuinely did know spade was considered a slur lol
Mods?! :p
who else would possibly want to participate in the aforementioned safe space?
Erm... any weak member of any other race who receive the same amount of abuse blacks apparently do stocking shelves?

I get your down play of the issue and technically yes there was no explicit statement, and it also turned out to only be an online support page/chat, however it is no leap to identify a safe space for "black" people off the back of BLM and BHM as a segregated place for them alone - otherwise it's implication would be taken that any other space within sainsburys is not safe for black people.

Capodecina
Soldato
. . . there is some pretty borderline personal attacks going on against Tony specifically . . ..
Yeah, spooky!
I was under the impression that these personal attacks against posters were kinda "frowned upon" - apparently not :confused:
Personal attacks on the likes of Dawn Butler are positively encouraged - until OcUK gets sued ;)

Back
Top Bottom