Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
I have an in-store preorder with Game.
Is there any risk of that getting sold of I don't go to the store as soon as it opens?

I would rather not queue up right now and go later that day (19th), or the next morning to pick it up

Soldato
I'd check with Game but I would think your pre-order would be held, have you paid in full or just a deposit? There's be no point in pre-orders if they just sold stuff first come first served!

Curry's payment for pre-orders should be due tomorrow, being 28 days before launch - hopefully the website handles it better than the series x payment date!

Soldato
I'd check with Game but I would think your pre-order would be held, have you paid in full or just a deposit? There's be no point in pre-orders if they just sold stuff first come first served!

Curry's payment for pre-orders should be due tomorrow, being 28 days before launch - hopefully the website handles it better than the series x payment date!
True true, went and looked it up and their website suggests they hold them for 48 hours.
Still nervous though lol.

Associate
There's a tiny difference in power, not enough to even boast about.
Series X GPU is a minimum 18.19% faster than the PS5's GPU, likely more in reality since the PS5 has a variable boost to improve their marketing numbers. It's wishful thinking to believe that it's tiny.

The GPU in Series X is theoretically 16.7% more powerful than the one in PS5.
12.15TF vs 10.28TF would be theoretically 18.19%.

I don't think we will see mid gen refreshes this generation, current gen was a strange one as we were just coming out of a recession and 4k was in its infancy....the consoles weren't a typical generational leap (especially the poor CPU and HDD) and were struggling to hit the 1080p standard from the beginning, then early in their life cycle 4k really started to go mainstream and they where no way near capable of reaching that level so a refresh was needed, next gen consoles have nailed it hardware wise this time I can see them good for 5 years or so, factoring in the current global instability and 8k being a niche market (which would be the only reason for a mid cycle specs boost) I'd be surprised if I seen anything other than slim versions before the leap to next next gen
I can definitely see a mid gen refresh when 4k 120Hz TV's become more common, I think that will be the next thing before 8k. The PS5 simply isn't powerful enough for 4k 120Hz in most games.

Soldato
Finally made a decision, cancelled Xbox. PS5 and I'm going to build a new PC with 3080 (when I can get one) and 3900XT next January. Xbox is clearly great hardware and value but, and I don't expect anyone to understand this, I cannot get excited about it at all, like not one thing, I just find the whole thing bland and, well it's hard to explain but in my mind 'soulless' is the best word. The 3yr GP I purchased will obviously be used on PC.

Soldato
Finally made a decision, cancelled Xbox. PS5 and I'm going to build a new PC with 3080 (when I can get one) and 3900XT next January. Xbox is clearly great hardware and value but, and I don't expect anyone to understand this, I cannot get excited about it at all, like not one thing, I just find the whole thing bland and, well it's hard to explain but in my mind 'soulless' is the best word. The 3yr GP I purchased will obviously be used on PC.

I'm the opposite - really looking forward to the consoles, and can't bring myself to get excited about pc gaming

Still have a 1070 for my back catalog if i need, but pc mostly a work thing for me - getting away from mouse and keyboard help keeps that separation.

I may feel different one day if i decide fire up elite dangerous again

Soldato
I'm the opposite - really looking forward to the consoles, and can't bring myself to get excited about pc gaming

Still have a 1070 for my back catalog if i need, but pc mostly a work thing for me - getting away from mouse and keyboard help keeps that separation.

I may feel different one day if i decide fire up elite dangerous again

Well PC gaming is my backup, I just enjoy having a capable PC to play my games from 20 years ago that I could play on a dusty laptop from the same time period.

Soldato
Series X GPU is a minimum 18.19% faster than the PS5's GPU, likely more in reality since the PS5 has a variable boost to improve their marketing numbers. It's wishful thinking to believe that it's tiny.

I can definitely see a mid gen refresh when 4k 120Hz TV's become more common, I think that will be the next thing before 8k. The PS5 simply isn't powerful enough for 4k 120Hz in most games.

But yet again, as has been mentioned by nearly every single developer, TF is NOT a good way to determine how well these console will perform.
Every time this comes up it feels like people telling PS5 purchasers something they don't know. Yes, the Series X is still the more powerful console. However, as there are currently no cross platform games being released over the next couple of months where the performance is going to be different (it's 4k30 or 4k60 on both for example) we're down to image quality differences which really aren't going to be noticeable unless you're running the two side-by-side.

The PS5 is designed so it can clock down. This isn't an over-clocked console and as has been mentioned more than once, it will spend the majority of it's time running along giving the maximum performance.
So far the rumours have included PS5 not being RDNA2, false - that it's clocked higher because Sony were worried about performance and the high clocks don't actually make much difference due to degrading returns over a certain point - false.

There is not one person buying a PS5 (and let us be honest, there are a lot - industry still generally feels it's going to outsell Xbox by at least 2:1) and not knowing that in raw power it isn't as powerful as the Xbox.
But so far, and yes - these are early days, there is no major indication that extra power is going to translate to that much when it comes to the games and their performance.

Soldato

It's going to be the same as the PS5 vs X1X. So multi platform games might look a bit better on the XSX but it's not going to be that much of a difference. Plus publishers for multi platform games will just make sure they look the same anyway; they've never been bothered about improving the games for the more powerful machine.
It will come down to first party games and, so far, we've seen absolutely nothing on the XSX. Plus Sony has had much better first party games for years now.

Soldato
That is more or less how I feel, there is no exclusive game on Xbox that excites me one bit.

Associate
But yet again, as has been mentioned by nearly every single developer, TF is NOT a good way to determine how well these console will perform.
No, as far as I'm aware the industry has stated that pure TF is not a good way to compare performance between generations (be that gfx chip generation or console generation). The only people I've seen really saying there's little between PS5 and XsX are either Sony or Sony affiliated developers.

Every time this comes up it feels like people telling PS5 purchasers something they don't know. Yes, the Series X is still the more powerful console.
You get fed up with hearing it because you keep spouting the opposite - at the moment we really don't know how each will perform, but to keep continually playing down is just silly and counterproductive. The reason Nintendo has continued to be successful despite being hugely less powerful is the same reason Sony will stay successful - the games!

The PS5 is designed so it can clock down. This isn't an over-clocked console and as has been mentioned more than once, it will spend the majority of it's time running along giving the maximum performance.
Whilst that is the rhetoric, the actual machine shows all the signs of being an overclocked beast - the biggest case, heatsink and fan in the history of the world ever kinda point in that direction! Cerny mentioned that a marginal drop in clockspeed results in a huge drop in power.......conversely, that means they've had to use a huge increase in power to get a marginal increase in clock - this seems to imply that they are running the chip at the edge of operational ability (or overclocked imo). There's nothing wrong with that as long as they manage it well, and (as a long time tinkerer and overclocker) that will be where I find it most interesting.

So far the rumours have included PS5 not being RDNA2, false - that it's clocked higher because Sony were worried about performance and the high clocks don't actually make much difference due to degrading returns over a certain point - false.
Sorry, but in my humble opinion the only reason they would push the clock on that GPU (with a variable clockspeed) that high is for marketing. It would have been a disaster for them to go into this generation with a console 35% less powerful. I fully suspect that the next iteration will have found a way to maintain that clockspeed permanently, and all these processes to reduce heat will all dissipate into the ether..........you indicate in one sentence that the 18% difference between XsX and PS5 is not discernable........but then why bother with all the exotic cooling for a mere 10% odd speed increase? You can't have it both ways!

There is not one person buying a PS5 (and let us be honest, there are a lot - industry still generally feels it's going to outsell Xbox by at least 2:1) and not knowing that in raw power it isn't as powerful as the Xbox.
On the contrary, I suspect 90% of PS5 buyers either don't know (or give a monkeys) about the power difference.....or GamePass for that matter.......they just want the latest Playstation and those delicious Sony games!

But so far, and yes - these are early days, there is no major indication that extra power is going to translate to that much when it comes to the games and their performance.
.....then why bother increasing their GPU clockspeed and having to employ all those exotic cooling solutions? If an 18% difference isn't discernable then why add ~10% in such a way? It makes no sense........but maybe you can explain?

Last edited:
Soldato
Exactly. The average joe buying these consoles doesn’t give a hoot about which one is more powerful, or which one is OC’ed etc. They buy consoles for the games. Which Sony always deliver on.

Back
Top Bottom