What are your favourite horror/Halloween movies ?

Caporegime
I agree with you completely Nitefly W.R.T. some classics not really being rewatchable.

As far as modern films I loved Autopsy of Jane Doe, It Follows, Hereditary, It, The Babadook.

Man of Honour
The Babadook was great, and a very good twist
I’m not sure what the ‘twist’ is that you’re referring to but perhaps it relates to this, which I only read about afterwards and I couldn’t figure it out for myself.

The Babadook itself is a metaphor for grief. You can’t block it out. You must let it in and learn to live with it.

^ after reading that I was like “ooooooo ****!” - made me appreciate the film a lot more.

Man of Honour
Think I started watching it and stopped because of the timelines/flashback - there is only so much I can tolerate narration told with flashbacks.
Fair enough! :)

I would say it’s principally more of a ‘duel timeline film’ rather than a present day story told with flashbacks, if that makes sense, but if you didn’t like it then you didn’t like it! There was a fair bit of flashbacks tbf.

Man of Honour
I’m not sure what the ‘twist’ is that you’re referring to but perhaps it relates to this, which I only read about afterwards and I couldn’t figure it out for myself.

The Babadook itself is a metaphor for grief. You can’t block it out. You must let it in and learn to live with it.

^ after reading that I was like “ooooooo ****!” - made me appreciate the film a lot more.

That’s exactly the twist, aye :)

Associate
The Babadook & The Shining are currently showing on IPlayer

Alien, Event Horizon, The Thing & American Werewolf - are classics. Alien and Event Horizon, I always somehow classed as Sci-Fi.

Still think films which use make-up and models deliver realism over CGI all day long (another debate).

Soldato
OP
Any good British horror that is not based around zombies ?

Happy childhood memories of Hocus Pocus and Ernest Saves Halloween.
Same here, I watch both every year plus some of the better scooby doo movies

Alien
Event Horizon
Hellraiser
Let the Right One In
Shadow of the Vampire
The Sixth Sense

I've got a huge soft spot for the old Hammer Horror movies too.
The Sixth Sense first time I watched it wow, still think it's great.
Hammer horror never seen any any suggestions ?
A bit of a mini-essay here, sorry.

As horror is a genre that relies so much upon ‘the unknown’, I think there is a lot of well-regarded ‘suspense filled’ horror that is actually quite boring on a rewatch when you are very familiar with it. For example, The Shining. Also, to a lesser extent, The Thing. Yeah, I said it. Come at me, bro! Every time I watch both I must confess that I find myself craving for the good bits... and I know you all think the same, don’t lie to me!! A lot of modern horror is therefore more rewatchable, even thought it’s less suspenseful. I only mention this as I think it affects what I would chose to watch during the Halloween season. I seriously doubt that many people that put themselves through watching The Shining every year and not get bored of it.

A lot of well-regraded horror is also extremely outdated. I finally got round to seeing Don’t Look Now (a supposed classic) and was so underwhelmed. The most notable thing about it was an unexpectedly raunchy sex scene.

The point I’m making is, effectively, don’t just stick to the ‘classics’.

Similarly, I think a lot of people would enjoy the genre a lot more if they were honest with what they wanted out of it. Do we really always want to be really scared? For most of us... no, not really. We are there to be entertained, principally, but also there for a good time. There is so much fun to be had if you loosen your parameters of what makes a good horror.

For example, I recently watched Wishmaster (1998) and think that is exactly the sort of ridiculous film that makes for a fantastic Halloween horror. It was hilarious. You could tell they had an absolutely super time making it. I really don’t care what anyone else thinks, Wishmaster gets two thumbs up from me :D

Scream (1996) is a forgotten great horror film. Yes, it’s been parodied beyond belief by films like Scary Movie but if you go back and watch it again, you’ll realise that Scream itself is a very smart parody of the slasher genre whilst also succeeding as a slasher film in its own right. There’s a fair bit of dialogue where the cast are discussing what they should and should not do if they were actually in a horror film, which all flew right over my head when I watched it as a nipper. The intro scene with Drew Barrymore is also highly memorable :)

Other examples of playful horror include Cabin in the Woods, The Return of the Living Dead (easily the best zombie film IMO) and Trick R’ Treat. Light up your pumpkins and give them a whirl!

For those that insist on watching something with a bit more edge, then the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre is surprisingly chilling/disturbing.

Other excellent horror films off the top of my head:

The Grudge (American remake)
Hereditary
The Conjuring Universe films (all very watchable - except the first Annabel film which was poor)
Insidious
Saw (the original film - the sequels are merely ‘fun’)
The Sixth Sense

The only sub-genre I don’t really like are those with shock sexual/rapey violence or that are unnecessarily depraved. I remember getting hold of a copy of Cannibal Holocaust and watching it with a bunch of university friends with a bunch of beers. You know, in the usual ‘let’s all have a laugh’ way. Well, it was just a thoroughly depressing/miserable/upsetting watch, in the worst way. Completely the opposite of what we were looking for and one to avoid. If you must satisfy your morbid curiosity, be aware that it has a lot of upsetting footage of slaughtering real animals for the ‘lolz’. As in, not fake / special effects, but real recorded death. It’s worse than it sounds.

All of that nastiness aside, horror is a great genre as a whole and perhaps my very favourite. All hail horror :D

Edit - ooo I can definitely recommend the TV show the Haunting of Hill House on Netflix. That’s great!

I agree with a lot of what you said.

Soldato
Alien, Event Horizon, The Thing & American Werewolf - are classics. Alien and Event Horizon, I always somehow classed as Sci-Fi.

Nothing wrong with classing Alien as sci-fi, it crosses the genres but at it's heart, it's a haunted house movie...replace house with the Nostromo. Instead of folks going to a haunted house, they bring the ghost (Alien) to them. :)

Soldato
The Sixth Sense first time I watched it wow, still think it's great.
Hammer horror never seen any any suggestions ?

Their Dracula movies were always my favourites, a little silly at times but tons of charm and fantastic atmosphere.

Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee are amazing in their respective parts, Lee makes a very intimidating Dracula imo.

Still think films which use make-up and models deliver realism over CGI all day long (another debate).

I agree with this for the most part.

Movies like Alien still stand up today thanks to strong practical effects, I watched Robocop the other day and honestly it looked fantastic almost all the way through. Yet you go on to watch a movie like Terminator 2? Still an amazing movie but the T1000 looks janky as hell in its liquid metal form in some scenes. The CGI in the Star Wars prequels looks worse than a bunch of the practical effects in the original trilogy too.

Back
Top Bottom