Recommend me some audiobooks :)

Associate
Evening all.

I've just got a new job which requires about three hours driving each day for the first 3 - 6 months.

I usually listen to podcasts when I drive but I'll exhaust my subscriptions in a couple of days.

Can you recommend me an audiobook? I like hard sci-fi and fantasy, well, that's what I usually read but I'm open to other genres.

Cheers! :)

Soldato
I really enjoyed Ready Player One read by Will Wheaton. My mistake was finishing it the morning of the day I went to the cinema to see the film version. They had changed too much for me from such a fresh hearing of the book. I know that’s not hard sci fi but it’s all I’ve got.

Associate
OP
I really enjoyed Ready Player One read by Will Wheaton. My mistake was finishing it the morning of the day I went to the cinema to see the film version. They had changed too much for me from such a fresh hearing of the book. I know that’s not hard sci fi but it’s all I’ve got.

I actually listened to that one a few years ago when I had a long walk to the train station, before I moved. I thought Will Wheaton did an awesome job. Good shout but already listened to. Cheers!

Man of Honour
Terry Pratchetts Discworld

Scott Meyer's Magic 2.0

The early books in the Robert Aaprin Myth and Phule series. When he started writing with other people (for tax reaaons) they went downhill.

Robert E. Taylor's Bobiverse quadrilogy.

The Alien series of books, some film based, others extending the lore.

Oh yeah... the original audiobook release of Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy trilogy (in 5 parts) Read by Douglas Adams. The newer readers just aren't as good... The radio series is tremendous though

Michael Crichton - Jurassic Park

Yahtzee Croshaw - Will save the galaxy for food and its sequel

Nicholas Sansbury Smith - Helldivers series

Christopher Nuttall - Ark Royal series

Andy Weir- The Martian

Mitch Benn- Terra and Terras World

And some randoms...

Gene Kranz - Failure is not an option

Stephen Clarke - 1000 years of annoying the French and How the French won Waterloo (or think they did). I have French co workers, so much fun winding them up. One comes from the Champagne region and hated fining out that it was an English man who invented it.

Stephen King - The Green Mile

Tim Currys reading of A Christmas Carol

No such things as a fish - The Audiobook of the year(s)

The Jack Ryan books written by Tom Clancy. Since his death they haven't been good sadly.

P G Wodehouse- Jeeves series (I enjoy the Johnathan Cecil readings)

I've Never Seen Star Wars

Any history books by Max Hastings

Tony Hawks - Round Ireland with a fridge, Piano in the Pyrenees, One Hit Wonder, playing the Moldovans at Tennis

Mario Puzo - The Godfather (especially if you can find the full cast recording)

Miranda Kane - Slaving Away

Emma Kennedy - The tent, the bucket and me. (Especially if you went camping as a child...)

Robert Littell - The Company

Yes Minister / Yes Prime Minister

History books by Ben Macintyre

Adrian Newey - How to build a car

Bill Bryson's travel books. Especially Down Under and A walk in the woods.

The Unbelievable Truth radio show

I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue

The Infinite Monkey Cage

Associate
OP
Congrats and good luck with the new job!

Cheers! Gonna need it, not a fan of driving :)

the Expeditionary Force series is great too.

I'll Give it a whirl. Cheers!

Terry Pratchetts Discworld

Scott Meyer's Magic 2.0

The early books in the Robert Aaprin Myth and Phule series. When he started writing with other people (for tax reaaons) they went downhill.

Robert E. Taylor's Bobiverse quadrilogy.

I'll have a look through that little list and see what tickles my fancy (That was possibly a north east or non-younster saying and isn't as odd as it sounds!). Cheers! :)

Man of Honour
I'll have a look through that little list and see what tickles my fancy (That was possibly a north east or non-younster saying and isn't as odd as it sounds!). Cheers! :)

I could have put down more, I've got about 1040 books in my Audible library at the moment. :D

Man of Honour
2nd that recommendation. In a similar vein of Sci Fi, the Expeditionary Force series is great too.

I will 3rd that recommendation on the Bobiverse books, awesome books, read by the most awesome audible reader out there, Ray Porter.

I would also add the following books too

14 by Peter Clines (brilliant lovecraftian type book about a bunch of people living in a very peculiar apartment block)
The Everybody Loves Large Chests series, a must for any fan of D&D or RPG computer games
David Mitchell Back Story (autobiography)
I, Partridge , Alan Partridge : Nomad , and Alan Partridge - Tales from the Oasthouse
Mythos - Stephen Fry and Heroes - Stephen Fry
Alien : Out of the Shadows, Alien: Sea of Sorrows, Alien : River of Pain (these are audible dramas, so like a play but very atmospheric especially if you are a fan of the Alien movies of course)
No Cunning Plan - Tony Robinson autobiography
The Institute by Stephen King

Associate
I've been going through the Halo audiobooks on walks recently, they've been good! Also quite nice noticing where events in the books resemble that in the games.

Associate
The Expeditionary Force series by Craig Alanson is perfect for audio in my opinion: Easy going, some funny moments along with the serious and an amazing narrator (RC Bray - to be honest anything by him is a great listen).

Back
Top Bottom