LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Associate
IMHO I don't think the CX 48 would drop very much in price on Black Friday deal, if they don't sale allots of 77inch displays;) then the CX 48 will be limited and the price will rise again, but the CX 55 will drop
Yeah kind of had the same thought, its a funny size for a conventional TV so the larger sizes will be more popular. Price might not shift at all.

Associate
Ounces LG OLED was King, but now there is three giants QLED, MICROLED, QD OLED against one OLED company it's LG Displays fault it's cheaper to cut six 55inch TV from a sheet of glass at 91% to get a 48inch you need two 77inch and two 48inch at 64% from a 2500x2200mm 8.5g glass.

That why 55inch will be cheaper;)

Last edited:
Associate
Motion clarity is indeed unreal - 60Hz on my CX48 looks better than 144Hz on my other monitors.

Yeah I cant wait to get a CX come BF. Probably will go for the 55 inch, as we know that it will drop in price. And also use it as my main Tv. Was dead set on getting the Sony (LCD) X900H to swap for my X900E. But after learning that it will be a downgrade in PQ from my 2017 - X900E. No way I will do it.
The reason I dident want an OLED is, that I tried 3 units of the C9, and all had terrible issues - g-sync flicker on everyone and the last one even had the oval shaped bug. So call me fed up of OLED, and I said never again. Hmm well here I am right back at it huh ..LOL!

But as the Sony will be such a downgrade, and now when I KNOW so well how superior OLED is in everyway - PQ and that crazy motion clarity. It's just wow, another world indeed :)
So heres hoping I will have better luck with the CX vs the 3 units of C9!

And also get HDMI 2.1 + both free/g-sync with that perfect picture quality, is so worht it to jump on the OLED wagon once again!

Oh yeah, that motion clarity. Couldent belive how awesome it is. As you said - even 60 fps looked way cleaner/better then on my PG279Q monitor games runing +- 100 fps. Crazy to say the least!

Soldato
Best part of this video is he finally confirms what I been saying for the past 3/4 years about motion clarity of OLEDs being superior to LCD, even at 60HZ :p

This is incredibly noticeable with lower FPS, LCD at 100+ fps is ok but as soon as you drop to 60 or even less, the motion looks smeary where as with oled, even <60 fps still looks clear but stuttering is more noticeable then due to the near instantaneous pixel response time so this is one "perk" of LCD.... it somewhat helps "masks" the stuttering at lower fps due to the smeary motion.

Have been playing avengers lately and switched from the oled telly to the monitor as I wanted to have a film playing in the background and damn, it is incredibly jarring going from oled hdr back to lcd for gaming, it is seriously like comparing a game from the 90s to a remaster of a game nowadays.

EDIT:

If anyone wants a laugh:

https://hardforum.com/threads/acer-predator-x38-impressions-broken-ips.1998096/

:o

I said this ages ago too. On reddit some petulant little child with his CRG9 monitor was trying to flame me to hell and back for my motion clarity observations.
Oh well. This whole OLED excercise has taught me that people will be jealous and against new technology which they can't afford and justify this by writing it off as flawed or inferior.

I'm building a hoverBOSS next and I'm sure in 10-15 years time we'll see a commercially available solution which involves epic subwoofer vibrations and tactility through the seat which people will then spend a lot of cash on.

Man of Honour
Motion clarity is indeed unreal - 60Hz on my CX48 looks better than 144Hz on my other monitors.
I don’t know what 144Hz monitors you’ve had in the past, maybe they’ve been particularly poor models with slow response times (VA panels perhaps) or lots of overshoot...

but unless you’re running BFI on the OLED as well (which doesn’t then make this a fair comparison), motion clarity is not better on a 60Hz OLED compared with a good 144Hz LCD just because the pixel response times are super fast. As long as the 144Hz monitor isn’t crap or broken, the motion clarity is still better due to the sample and hold nature of these displays and the way the human eye tracks movement. The pixel response times need to be fast enough to keep up with the frame rate demands and without additional artefacts, but there’s plenty of LCD panels that do that perfectly well for 144Hz and even 240Hz quite easily.

Linus’ video also talks about this too. Some people seem to be fixating on the slow motion captures showing fast pixel transitions, which we all knew would be the case anyway and have also been confirmed with oscilloscope measurements independently. The video goes on to talk about the clarity, smoothness and snappiness benefits of the higher refresh rates like the 360Hz model he compares it against.

these OLED screens are certainly better at being able to handle future refresh rate increases, up to 2000Hz in theory would be fine in fact! They are also great for BFI usage with low cross talk abs excellent clarity. But there is a lot more to motion clarity on these screens that just response times

Associate
Hello gents, from across the pond, a wonderful good afternoon from sunny Florida! I just finished reading the C9 as well as this thread in their entirety. I definitely will buy this monitor/Tv, in the next few weeks, and thank you for all the info. I could not have made a buying decision without it.
The menus are going to be a steep learning curve, since A. I have never used a TV as a monitor, and B. when it comes to tv's I only know Sony and especially TCL. I now have the TCL 6 series, and HDR is fantastic. I cannot even start to Imagine how the same YouTube Hdr videos I watch will look like on this 48" Oled! I have decided not to worry too much about burn in and use this as regular monitor.
I am so sick and tired of regular 27" and 32" monitors. I find HDR 400 is a joke. I do prefer AMVA over IPS though.

I do have a few questions :

1. Nobody has mentioned the icc profile created by rtings? Have you guys tried it? Does it come a little closer to sRGB colors? I do some photography work, and although I am not expecting the TV to come close to sRGB it would be "nice to have".

2. I see how many of you have wall mounted it, or used the fitueyes stand (same on Amazon US). I always thought my line of sight had to be right in the middle of the tv? My eyes are exactly 19" above my desk and the desk is 30" tall, so I need the center of the TV to be at the same height as my eyes. In all the pics I have seen of your rooms it would seem that the tv is too far up?

3. There is something that completely confuses me. If I watch a YouTube HDR video through my pc or through the television app, they look completely different. My TCL blows a pc monitor out of the water when it comes to HDR. With the Oled 48" is there a major difference when watching content through your PC/GPU or the actual TV?

thanks, I shall ask more questions later!

Soldato
@Gino Giori

1. I don't use any ICC profile, I just leave it to Windows default and it seems fine.

2. I can't answer that as I don't use it as a desktop monitor

3. Windows implementation of HDR is really hit and miss therefore I watch all YouTube/Netflix/Amazon etc.. content via the Native TV Apps.

Associate
Dont seem to be many places with 48" in stock and the 55" is cheaper but not sure 55" will be a little to big ??? placement and sitting distance isnt a problem but i play a lot of world of warcraft so need to be able to see txt clear.

Associate
LG CX OLED as a desktop monitor review at TFT Central now available: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_cx_oled.htm

Really interesting and balanced review, thanks as always Baddass.

"For day to day desktop, office and professional-type uses it is more difficult to use and probably not an ideal choice." Given how my ratio of general desktop use to gaming per day is like 7hrs/3hrs, perhaps I should reconsider getting this and stick with my excellent AW3420DW.

Man of Honour
Really interesting and balanced review, thanks as always Baddass.

"For day to day desktop, office and professional-type uses it is more difficult to use and probably not an ideal choice." Given how my ratio of general desktop use to gaming per day is like 7hrs/3hrs, perhaps I should reconsider getting this and stick with my excellent AW3420DW.
yeah personally I think it's hard to recommend if there's a lot of general use going on, I think it's just too big even at 48"

Soldato
Ounces LG OLED was King, but now there is three giants QLED, MICROLED, QD OLED against one OLED company it's LG Displays fault it's cheaper to cut six 55inch TV from a sheet of glass at 91% to get a 48inch you need two 77inch and two 48inch at 64% from a 2500x2200mm 8.5g glass.

That why 55inch will be cheaper;)

MicroLED is no where to be seen in consumer land.
Samsung themselves have opted for LCD/Mini-LED next year instead of QD-OLED despite their display company making the displays.

OLED is going to be king for a while of PQ.

MicroLED isn't an issue for OLED because the price of microLED is going to be astronomical and by then LG OLED panels will hopefully be even cheaper.

Associate
Dont seem to be many places with 48" in stock and the 55" is cheaper but not sure 55" will be a little to big ??? placement and sitting distance isnt a problem but i play a lot of world of warcraft so need to be able to see txt clear.

No 55inch is just right to game on, few gamers in my clan have between 55 -65inch OLED TVs:D last year the C9 was 55" than but still gamers buy them in 2019.

Associate
Last night I was looking at my PUBG screen on a normal monitor, and there are tons of static elements. Therefore, whether you use this oled for a 6 hour gaming session or use it for a 6 hour photoshop session, there's not much difference with regards to the burn in problem. If you look at the review tft central, this Oled covers 132.1% of sRGB, this is impressive. It can actually be used for color correction.

Another point. Tv's upscale signal. Pc monitors don't, so when downscaling games in 1440p or 1080p the quality will be much better than on a gaming monitor. This is a huge advantage. I had not thought of this before reading the article. It also means we do not have to rush out an buy a GTX 3080, and can get the full color benefits at lower resolutions.

Could not find their ICC profile. They said it was in their database, but I still could not find it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom