**** The Official Google Pixel 4 Thread ****

Soldato
Pixel 4 arrived today. First impressions are... interesting.

Overall it seems like a big improvement over the Mate 20 Pro, but with a few caveats. The screen isn't big enough. The screen-to-body ratio is crap. And 64GB isn't really enough storage (it's workable only by having the device back up photos and videos, and then delete them from the device regularly). But I knew these things when I bought it.

On the other hand, the build quality feels solid. The screen is a huge improvement (and no longer curved - yay!). And the speakers are much, much better (volume, in particular). Stock Android is a lot nicer to use than EMUI; cleaner, and without the bloat (and needless doubling up of apps).

I haven't used the camera much yet, and it'll be a day or two yet before I know whether battery life is good enough. But so far I'm mostly content. One annoying curve ball came up though; EE just launched 5G in my home town. I thought we'd be a long way down the list, not fairly close to the top. I may wind up returning this and getting a larger 5G phone instead.

Out of interest how much more on contract is the pixel5 with a 5g connection?

Soldato
Out of interest how much more on contract is the pixel5 with a 5g connection?

Through EE? Nonsense money. On the same tariff, Pixel 5 is £400 more over two years, while 4a 5G is +£300.

It works out cheaper to take one of their SIM Only deals and buy the handsets through Google Store.

Soldato
Through EE? Nonsense money. On the same tariff, Pixel 5 is £400 more over two years, while 4a 5G is +£300.

I can only imagine the high-fiving and back slapping amongst the upper management tiers of all these companies when Apple finally announced the 5G iPhone.

Soldato
Indeed. Also, bear in mind those are student prices. Want a Pixel 5 without student discount? £1,254 over two years on the 40GB "essential" tariff :eek: It's a £599 phone. And their 100GB SIM Only tariff is only £20/month (so £480). They're fleecing people for an extra £175, with 60% less data.

I think this phone will be going back TBH. It's smaller than I'd like. Turns out it's also too small for the phone holder in my car. And I'm getting no signal inside my house. Just hunting around for alternatives at the moment. Might just buy a 4a 5G.

Associate
I just left a 4xl for a 5 I would disagree with that. Unsupported face unlock is a manger pain.... Plus it does not work with face masks :D

The 5 with free bose headphones is a cracking deal.

But would you have bought the Pixel 5 without the Bose giveaway for £599?

I doubt may people would.

Soldato
No way I would have bought the P5 with a deal or otherwise. Everything except 5G is a downgrade next to the 4XL and the improved camera features will hopefully trickle down to the 4 series anyway.

Soldato
No way I would have bought the P5 with a deal or otherwise. Everything except 5G is a downgrade next to the 4XL and the improved camera features will hopefully trickle down to the 4 series anyway.

I'd mark the screen, design, battery life and fingerprint scanner an improvement over the 4XL.

SoC and speakers the only downers.

Soldato
I have a 4a 5G on pre-order. £23 p/m unlimited calls and texts and 5GB data and no upfront cost on EE. I rarely use my data allowance anyway so think I got a pretty good deal. Have been using an S9 for the last 2 years and whilst its ok it certainly has a few quirks I don't like so hoping the Pixel will impress.

Soldato
I have a 4a 5G on pre-order. £23 p/m unlimited calls and texts and 5GB data and no upfront cost on EE. I rarely use my data allowance anyway so think I got a pretty good deal. Have been using an S9 for the last 2 years and whilst its ok it certainly has a few quirks I don't like so hoping the Pixel will impress.

Through EE directly?

Back
Top Bottom