Anyone been to a Toby Carvery lately?

Consigliere
OP
Funnily enough i was at one yesterday. It is like a subway now you queue up and tell them what you want and if you have a refillable drink they get it for you no self service.

Basically I really want to go to one so planning a trip with a mate. :o

Brill glad to hear it is what i am expecting!

Enjoy it? Haha

Soldato
I went to one a fortnight ago, I’d never been before.

I had to order on the app (though there was a till you can order at). A staff member takes you to the carvery which is all behind screens, and the staff serve your meal and then push the tray through to you at the end.

It was my first experience of a Toby carvery, we were coming back from a camping trip and it was exactly what we needed. Covid wise it was grand, and it was a complete bargain although the veg was poorly cooked.

Soldato
I went much earlier in the year on a Sunday (i think)

Just don't bother, you will be extremely disappointed.

Better to find a decent pub that is doing a Sunday roast, you may actually get a decent meat portion the way.

Associate
I went last weekend - was a decent experience! Food was placed onto plates, rather than doing it yourself, and a 'runner' had to bring plates from servery to table for some inexplicable reason!? Felt very safe, and I'd do it again

Soldato
My mum is a fan of them so we've been a couple of times. I think it's pretty average, but it fills a hole. The joints of meat are always good, as are the yorkshire puddings, everything else is meh.

At first the rules kind of made sense:
Go up, chef loads your plate, they give you the plate at the end.

We went a few weeks ago and they changed the rules again which are completely barmy if you ask me:
You get told when you can go up, have to wear a mask when you do. Chef loads your plate as before, but instead of giving you your plate to walk back to your table with. You walk back to your table and a waiter/waitress follows behind you with your food. I suppose this is to make it 'table service' but it really is moronic.

Associate
I went to one of these a few years ago, probably one of the worst meals I’ve ever eaten. Everything was over cooked, meat was dry as a bone, vegetables that fell apart when you try to pick them up, and it was all bland & tasteless. I don’t mind a cheap filthy meal, but this was just a **** roast dinner.

Associate
I went to one of these a few years ago, probably one of the worst meals I’ve ever eaten. Everything was over cooked, meat was dry as a bone, vegetables that fell apart when you try to pick them up, and it was all bland & tasteless. I don’t mind a cheap filthy meal, but this was just a **** roast dinner.

The Toby in Trowbridge is pretty good actually. You get what you pay for, it's not haute cuisine, but perfectly enjoyable

Back
Top Bottom