Ridiculing Peers for their Accent?

Associate
Off topic and maybe could start a new thread, however has anybody had much luck in getting rid of or reducing there accent?

I’m from South Yorkshire and my accent definitely got a lot less pronounced when I started working around people that spoke properly, if I spend time around mates I tend to fall back into it again though.

Associate
A lot depends on where your accent is from - I mean, if you have a strong West Country accent for example, you appear to be more open to potential mocking from all types of speaker.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Off topic and maybe could start a new thread, however has anybody had much luck in getting rid of or reducing there accent?

Scottish, but barely lived there in my adult life. Lived about, and done a fair amount of travelling. Had to re-teach my self how to pronunce, but my accent has still stuck. The accent is rarely the issue, but the use of words and being Scottish we slur, and change words from the norm. So re-changing your vocubulary and talking slower is hughely more important. I used to go on holiday with a friend, who had to translate a lot. Not really an issue anymore.

Soldato
Anyone else noticed that Lisa Nandy is starting to talk a bit 'posher' - now that she's risen in the ranks of the Labour Party?

If I may be part of the problem for a minute...

As a Manc, there is nothing worse than the telephone voice of a woman from Manchester. See: Rebecca Long-Bailey. It sounds like they are always trying to explain something to a toddler.

Soldato
Christ when did everyone turn into such a bunch of wet wipes. Mocking people’s accents is good form. In fact taking the **** out of one another was pretty much the biggest bonding experience throughout the first year of uni. And throughout the majority of school actually. People really have lost their sense of humour and take themselves far too seriously.

Caporegime
Shock as poor people envy those that are fortunate enough to have been privately educated.

Christ when did everyone turn into such a bunch of wet wipes. Mocking people’s accents is good form. In fact taking the **** out of one another was pretty much the biggest bonding experience throughout the first year of uni. And throughout the majority of school actually. People really have lost their sense of humour and take themselves far too seriously.

And this. I was mocked for my posh accent just as I mocked my northern mates. All good fun.

Soldato
Jokes among friends are fine. That is not the issue here. Taking random abuse from strangers, for being who you are, at the same place where you are from, is totally unacceptable.

As is the hostile take over of the city centre. Durham University is pushing hard, doing very little for the people of Durham, and something will give at one point.

Caporegime
Jokes among friends are fine. That is not the issue here. Taking random abuse from strangers, for being who you are, at the same place where you are from, is totally unacceptable.

As is the hostile take over of the city centre. Durham University is pushing hard, doing very little for the people of Durham, and something will give at one point.

Why do they owe anything to the people of Durham... if I live near to a large employer (whether that be a big company, university, military base etc..) I don't feel entitled to anything from them just because they say expand thier site and/or create some more jobs in my town/city. If you want something from them then apply to study there or get a job there.

There is town vs gown stuff in any number of University towns tbh...

Also I'm not sure much of this counts as abuse tbh.. and frankly most joking about people is going to be based on who they are or choices they've made and can be aimed at anyone of any background.

Back
Top Bottom