• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3070 prices creeping up daily...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
The answer is don't rush in to buying Ampere, Wait until early next year when supply should be okay & hopefully competition will come into play with Big Navi in the market,
I sold my 5700XT a few weeks back as I decided to give Nvidia another try now that they support adaptive sync but I regret doing so as my old 480 isn't doing that well at 3440x1440,
So what should I do?
Nothing that's what, Over the last few years I've bought over priced cards because I thought I had no choice.
There's nothing I can do at the moment so I grabbed a second 480 on the MM too have a play around with crossfire while I wait until gpu prices settle, I'm guessing crossfire will drive me mad but I play older games more than new ones so I can avoid games that don't support it to some degree for now. I managed to grab a 4gb 480 Nitro for 70 quid, my 480's an 8gb model but I can make 4gb's work until I can find an Ampere or Big Navi gpu in my price range.

fx1

fx1

Associate
You can blame the idiots who buy these cards no matter how bad the value is.

Basically any brain dead gamer who uses a Titan for playing games.

Everyone who purchased a 3090.

You can kind of forgive the 2080ti because there was nothing to compete with it but it still cost 40% more than the 1080ti for around 40% more frames.

Anyone who is stupid enough to buy from a scalper should be publicly flogged and shamed for life.

Dont expect AMD to be any better. They are only cheap because they have been crap. They have a sniff of the crown and look where their prices go...

rn2

rn2

Associate
Not only that but with there being a chance of these cards being released with 16gb of ram next year. There is not much point buying one. I'm glad game at 1080p. I was going to future proof but I think I'll stick with the 3060 and wait until the new cards get realeased again. Either that or wait until January to buy a 3070 which I will most likely do.

I don't understand why people need to buy computer components on release. The only good thing about it is that people can show us how good or bad the product is.

Last edited:
Associate
Need to look at Pound Vs Dollar when MSRP was first announced, the. When at product was bought from Vendor to Distribution, then value when reseller has bought it, and finally when they list it .

Naturally if Pound weeks from when first announced to when reseller actually sells it and bought the stock, they'll raise the price, it pound has strengthened, it'll just be slightly more for profit

To be honest the amount of times OC use that excuse I surprised the pound isn't at zero these days.

Soldato
If this launch goes this way as did the 3080 'launch' then I will not purchase. If the Amd launch goes the same way again, I will not purchase. Easy and if more people did this then a strong message would be sent. Please dont take this as an insult but I dont understand the weakness in younger generations today. I want......I must have....I need........its quite disturbing to be honest and I guess its to do with the availability of money or finance. Please people you are being played by greedy corporations. If enough of you refuse to pay these inflated prices you will empower us all and they will have no choice. I do understand the need to want 'things' but I am born of a generation where I grew up with very little and can do without. I dont mean to offend anyone and fully understand. Be strong.

Soldato
If this launch goes this way as did the 3080 'launch' then I will not purchase. If the Amd launch goes the same way again, I will not purchase. Easy and if more people did this then a strong message would be sent. Please dont take this as an insult but I dont understand the weakness in younger generations today. I want......I must have....I need........its quite disturbing to be honest and I guess its to do with the availability of money or finance. Please people you are being played by greedy corporations. If enough of you refuse to pay these inflated prices you will empower us all and they will have no choice. I do understand the need to want 'things' but I am born of a generation where I grew up with very little and can do without. I dont mean to offend anyone and fully understand. Be strong.

To be fair I think there are a lot of people that have been sitting waiting on the right time to upgrade for 2-3 years. This is my first upgrade since 2014 personally. The last missing piece is the GFX card and after the poor value 2080ti, you can understand the hype around the RTX 3000 series cards. Mix that in with lock-down and more time available to spend on your hobby.

Soldato
Come on guys we know how this all works now, MSRP lie, exchange rate lie, en nino effect lie, leaves on the line lie, and no stock pushing prices up further and causing panic buying, retailers grabbing millions in advance for nothing, customers paying over the odds to wait in a queue, and then when the next batch arrives prices hiked again using the exchange rate lie.

It's nothing but a scam.

Soldato
To be honest the amount of times OC use that excuse I surprised the pound isn't at zero these days.

Especially as any business which is dealing in such large volumes of foreign currency would generally be hedging against FX volatility by entering into Forwards to fix rates etc. I haven't ordered from OcUK in years as generally they are significantly worse price wise to other etailers and tend to be the worst at price gouging (though tbh I never buy anything on launch).

Soldato
8gb of Vram too.. But sub 4k its still roughly 2080ti perf, and a bit better in RTX.

Still, £500+ for an xx70 card is ridiculous, i doubt even xx60 cards will be £300.

Nope, not better in RTX not even in perfect circumstances.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gp...70_3dmark_results_leak_-_impressive_results/1

Being a 30 series it's highly likely it's clocking balls. I will be happy to take the Pepsi challenge with any 3070 when people can actually get them.

Associate
OP
I remember all the articles seeming fairly confident it would happen

I wish these people who work for these tech writing companies wouldn't say things like that so assuredly when there is clearly no basis for it !

Dunno what articles you were reading, but 3070 was always advertised as being £450 minimum, (3080 £650) so anywhere saying anything else was trolling. (Also 1070 was £400 and there’s no way 3070 was gonna be cheaper).

Soldato
What is going on with the preorder pricing of the 3070's?

I check them regularly, and they just keep on going up and up and up..?

Yea we know supply/demand is completely screwed up atm, but still.. they are nearly £100 above RRP now!

£500+ for a "mid range" card is completely bonkers.

It seems no matter how high Nvidia price these things, they sell out on launch every single time, so they just whack the prices up again for the next gen.

I paid £400 for my 1070 on launch, now you're telling me I've gotta drop £500+ to get a 3070..? Never seen a price rise that bad for the "same tier" of card in ANY previous xx70 generation.

I was originally excited for the 3000 series release like everyone else, but the prices have gone completely mad. Surely the bubble has got to burst at some point.. right..? At what point will these things no longer sell?!?!

I would love to get a card that can actually handle 4k/60fps but when it's significantly cheaper to get a complete next-gen console than a single graphics card, that's messed up imo..

Long gone are the days of getting a decent mid-range card for £200 :-\
Yeah agree my 1070 was £365 so these prices are daft, same amount of vram as well, 16gb version will be stupid money no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom