FTTP move from BT to TalkTalk

Soldato
Yes, it's a new property with openreach fttp installed and ready.

I can have 150, 300 or 900 apparently :(

The 500Mbps tier was a time limited offer that was on sale instead of the 300Mbps tier, it wasn't available for long - I was offered it when I was ordering FTTP in March (or maybe April, I forget). From what I remember it was the same price as the 300Mbps tier.

Soldato
The 500Mbps tier was a time limited offer that was on sale instead of the 300Mbps tier, it wasn't available for long - I was offered it when I was ordering FTTP in March (or maybe April, I forget). From what I remember it was the same price as the 300Mbps tier.

They did offer it to me but for basically the same price as the 900 one. They offered the 300 one for less, so don't think it was a case of a simple product upgrade.

Soldato
They did offer it to me but for basically the same price as the 900 one. They offered the 300 one for less, so don't think it was a case of a simple product upgrade.

It definitely wasn't like that when I ordered (in May it seems), there was a note on the 500/50 product saying it was a free upgrade from the 300/50. I guess it may have varied in time and possibly by area.

500/50 is still a valid Openreach product that's available for sale, the problem is finding an ISP that'll sell it.

Man of Honour

This seems like a very odd thing for them to have done, to offer it and then step backwards :(

I'm going to go with 150 so I can upgrade if it comes back.

Maybe 150 is a special offer too and they'll soon only offer 56k, classic BT :D

Soldato
This seems like a very odd thing for them to have done, to offer it and then step backwards :(

I'm going to go with 150 so I can upgrade if it comes back.

Maybe 150 is a special offer too and they'll soon only offer 56k, classic BT :D

But that's the point of a limited offer - offer something better for a limited time and then withdraw it. Nothing odd about it. It wasn't the case that if you went for 500/50 it was downgraded to 300/50 at the end of the offer - it was yours for as long as you wanted but it was no longer available to order.

It does seem odd that 500/something isn't available from BT though. But that's BT for you, they're a strange company.

Man of Honour
I get the point of a limited discounted price offer but to temporarily introduce a product and then remove it entirely does seem somewhat bizarre, especially when the trend is to faster connections not slower ones.

Associate
Did you migrate from someone to Sky or new customer? I’m sure there must be a migration between providers, but tricky finding information. Will call TalkTalk tomorrow to find out

Maybe they assumed you’d not be able to set it up... saved the engineer a job on Monday...

I joined as a new customer, we had Virgin at the old place but moved to a non-Virgin area. All the engineer ended up doing was checking that the serial on the ONT matched up with their records, which it did so happy days.

I've ordered BT FTTP for my new house and the order is progressing, however it was at the full price. What is this offer and why is it hidden away on a link like that?

This annoyed me as well, I’ve got no problem looking at each provider for a price but when they’ve got an offer like this which seems open to most people yet hidden away, I just think it’s poor form. Thankfully Sky got close enough to the price to make it worthwhile, considering the equipment had arrived and I didn’t really want to go through the hassle of returning it.

Man of Honour
But that's the point of a limited offer - offer something better for a limited time and then withdraw it. Nothing odd about it. It wasn't the case that if you went for 500/50 it was downgraded to 300/50 at the end of the offer - it was yours for as long as you wanted but it was no longer available to order.

Turns out it is available to order - and they've just regraded me to it, so all is well :)

Associate
I'm new to the forum but signed up to comment here. I'm in the same boat, on 300 with BT at 59.99 (out of contract) and was tempted by TalkTalk on their 500 package for 39.95. They sound promising by offering UK support but they don't seem to have any proper processes set out so I was a bit concerned around switching especially when I rely on my connection to work from home. I got offered 500 with BT at 49.99 so an extra tenner to stick with a company I know well and haven't had any problems with. BT's FTTP support are pretty good and I like how they offer a 4G hub if your internet goes down (which has never happened for me on FTTP). Maybe once TalkTalk have bedded in their processes and they have more customers then I might have some confidence to switch...

Associate
Been looking at deals myself - my 74/20 BT Fibre 2 contract expires in about 3 weeks time and cost will go up by 8 pounds if I just leave it alone.

I want fastest speed I can get but try to be sensible with cost/benefit. My wife just wants bare minimum that we can live with for best cost and a landline in case of emergency (very poor mobile reception).

I'm contemplating letting the contract expire and seeing if there are any Black Friday, new customer deals with other providers.

I've been offered the following with BT (all 24month contracts and would received new Smart Hub 2):

Fibre 1 - 23.99 (same as current but without cloud storage and fewer devices covered by antivirus - neither of which i use) - might just do this and see if BT have something worthwhile upgrading to in future...
Fibre 2 - 25.99 (same as current where I am paying about 39.00)
Fibre 100 - 39.99 (150/30)
Fibre 300 - 47.99 (300/49)
Fibre 500 - 49.99 (500/73)
Fibre 900 - 54.99 (900/101)

I have homeplugs with wifi so complete wi-fi not needed and not interested in Halo services.

I have alternative deals available such as EE, Sky, Zen - best of which would be EE:

EE Fibre Max 300 service (300/49, 18 month contract) - effective cost of 38.xx p/m when taking into account existing mobile customer discount, cashback, setup cost, etc. but no landline.

Associate
I went live on my new BT Full Fibre 500 package today and I'm only getting around 307-317 down on my devices (450 to the router apparently). I’m not sure it’s worth 49.99. I was quite happy with my 300 package but at 47.99 it made sense to go for 500.

Surely there must be people on TalkTalk’s Future Fibre who can comment on their experiences? I’m extremely tempted to switch, I just worry about the connection dropping or it going down as I’m working from home...

Associate
Sod it, I've decided to switch to TalkTalk. I'll post my experiences once I'm live in 2 weeks!

Hi deanjesper, how did your go-live go? We just switched from BT to Talktalk and it did not work as expected on the switch day. It 4 days since the activation now and the helpline still have no solution. Engineer coming out tomorrow.

Associate
Hi deanjesper, how did your go-live go? We just switched from BT to Talktalk and it did not work as expected on the switch day. It 4 days since the activation now and the helpline still have no solution. Engineer coming out tomorrow.

Hi muncydonuts and deanjesper,

Either of you have any update on how your FTTP broadband connection with TalkTalk is working out for you, how is speed / reliability? I hear support is bad but tbh very rarely have I had to call an ISP. I'm considering their FTTP 500/70 option for £40.

Thanks.

Associate
I couldn't imagine using TalkTalk to save £10/m

My experience of Talktalk is terrible service and even worse customer service.

An internet connection is one of those things where spending a little extra can really improve your experience.

Mobster
Soldato
I couldn't imagine using TalkTalk to save £10/m

My experience of Talktalk is terrible service and even worse customer service.

An internet connection is one of those things where spending a little extra can really improve your experience.

TalkTalk's network is actually very good and probably matches BT and other ISPs. It's just the customer service that's terrible.

I don't have FTTP but in the South I have 7ms pings on TalkTalk FTTC, so on FTTP I'd probably be 1ms.

Back
Top Bottom