When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
now they're the eco-Messiah if you believe the reviews
yes you're right - I had been trying/failed to use their website to find out what the vbs advert caveat meant;
at least p2 have been honest about the carbon break-even point some 60K odd miles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVYkcnf0kJ0
50513909987_cab0caf91d_c_d.jpg

edit: beyond planting trees somewhere .. Greta wouldn't be pleased

Last edited:
Soldato
I think that’s pretty clear - it’s only carbon-neutral until the owner takes delivery at which point the monkey-gassers aren’t carbon offsetting anymore. And they’re achieving a big chunk of that carbon-neutral by offsetting (paying money and planting trees).

Soldato
Look at ev.energy if you need to schedule. I don't use it but I know others do.

Seems the WallBox Pulsar Plus is pretty smart and has an app, even can setup apple watch to unlock it so people cant just steal electricity, just finding out if you can turn the stupid Halo LED off. Just got a decent quote for an Ohme aswell so ill see what other quote feedback i get.

Soldato
To see the reviews on YouTube you have to say VW have done an incredible job of rehabilitating themselves after they poisoned people and gassed several primates to death trying to prove they didn't and yet now they're the eco-Messiah if you believe the reviews. EVERY single review I've seen has had some electronics issues though. Given that they delayed the launch by something like 9 months to correct the electronics issues you have to wonder what they were like out of the factory. And if you're an early customer - do be aware that VW had most of the launch cars built and 'ready' in March and they sat in storage until they supposedly debugged the software.

All the reviews I have seen have also commented that the interior is a step down from a Golf, lots of cheap hard plastics etc.

seems like they had to cut a few corners to meet the price point due to the drive train cost.

Soldato
All the reviews I have seen have also commented that the interior is a step down from a Golf, lots of cheap hard plastics etc.

seems like they had to cut a few corners to meet the price point due to the drive train cost.

And that’s the crappy Mk 8 Golf that is in itself, not as good as the Mk 7 Golf etc. So yes, it’s probably made out of recycled Trabants or something.

Soldato
Model 3 refresh too, they fixed that glossy black centre console that everyone wrapped.

Please stop reducing cost and adding value it's making my Model 3 feel obsolete already! At least I'll get a bit more potential range in the latest software update.

Irrelevant though as they'll deliver 499,999 cars end of year and that of course means they are a complete failure :)

Soldato
Agile only makes sense if you can either minimise usage during that evening peak or put in battery storage.

I've been on Agile for six and a half months. Saved me £110 vs Go. The novelty of planning domestic use around electricity prices in order to save a few pennies wore off after a few weeks. I don't even think about it now. Though with current peak pricing, that's probably costing me quite a bit to be fair.

It does work fairly well with WFH, as daytime rates are pretty cheap. But I'm about to switch back to Go for the winter as prices, overall, have been creeping up with the cold weather. Over the past 30 days, Agile was only £3 cheaper, so I wouldn't be surprised if it costs us more over the next 30 days.

Soldato
I'm not 100% sure about the new wheels.
not as nice as the gorgeous ones on the eqc

edit the radial ones https://electrek.co/2019/05/17/mercedes-benz-eqc-review-electric-suv-first-drive/
not sure about blue insert version

video, complimenting tesla, vs, leaf/others
but, raising/reminding, the point that having an over-sized battery, for every day use, so typically using it in the 20/80% charge range, may benefit its lifetime capacity.
The Truth About Tesla Battery Degradation – and Other EVs

Soldato
Well, looks like I'm going the other way for the foreseeable future and back to ICE.

Had a discussion about it with my boss yesterday, and looks like we're guaranteed at least another 6 months of WFH, and he wouldn't be surprised if it's at least 12, with a phased approach/possibly permanent WFH (at least 3 days/week) after that...

Considering I've done less than 500 miles in the last 3 months (250 miles of which was a round trip to the coast for a long weekend), I can't justify paying ~£350/month to keep the Zoe as essentially a drive ornament (there are some other factors taken into consideration, such as the fact type 2 charging is becoming obsolete which limits its utility for longer journeys and so I can see the value plummeting in the next couple of years).

Might consider picking up a £5-6k Leaf at some point for the local journeys, but our main car is going to be the other half's Fiesta for now.

Soldato
The console is improved, its a bit Fisher Price my first interior though

Yes, but have you seen most of the other EVs? They’re all somewhat cheap and nasty partly because of the cost and weight saving requirements. I think the BMW i3 is especially awful but it’s made from all the ‘right’ things so you have to cut them some slack.

The eTron and iPace are better, but you can still see where money has been saved here and there.

Soldato
(there are some other factors taken into consideration, such as the fact type 2 charging is becoming obsolete which limits its utility for longer journeys and so I can see the value plummeting in the next couple of years).

I’m confused by this. Type 2 is the de facto standard for AC charging (ChaDeMo is much less popular, so don’t buy a Leaf) and the top half of CCS is a Type 2 connector, so I’m not sure what you mean by this?

Soldato
I’m confused by this. Type 2 is the de facto standard for AC charging (ChaDeMo is much less popular, so don’t buy a Leaf) and the top half of CCS is a Type 2 connector, so I’m not sure what you mean by this?

The older Zoe can ONLY charge using Type 2 AC. This is fine for charging at home and on older Fast/Rapid chargers, but many newer charge points (e.g. from Ionity, Instavolt) are installing DC only chargers, which can't be used by a Zoe at all. 7kw destination charging is fine if it's actually at your destination, but it's not really practical to stop for 4-5hrs to charge on a 3 hour journey if that's the only option :p.

Regarding the ChaDeMo on the Leaf, this wouldn't be an issue as it would only be used for short journeys within range, leaving the ICE for the longer journeys.

Soldato
You wouldn't use Type 2 for longer journeys anyway, CCS is pretty much EU standard now in conjunction with Type 2 for the AC work. Its all settle quite nicely the last few years.

Well, that's my point - on the Zoe you have no choice.

While it's worked fine for me the last 18 months, as I said, fast/rapid Type 2 is being phased out, and although I'm sure there will still be chargers available for the next few years, there won't be anywhere near the coverage that CCS has, which will both make my ownership more difficult on long journeys (which are the only ones we'll be making any time soon judging on how things are going!) and reduce the appeal (and so value) of the car.

Back
Top Bottom