When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
The older Zoe can ONLY charge using Type 2 AC. This is fine for charging at home and on older Fast/Rapid chargers, but many newer charge points (e.g. from Ionity, Instavolt) are installing DC only chargers, which can't be used by a Zoe at all. 7kw destination charging is fine if it's actually at your destination, but it's not really practical to stop for 4-5hrs to charge on a 3 hour journey if that's the only option :p.

Regarding the ChaDeMo on the Leaf, this wouldn't be an issue as it would only be used for short journeys within range, leaving the ICE for the longer journeys.

Zoe is 3 phase though so you can get Type 2 upto 22kW just like you say tends to be DC CCS in UK where as Europe main land is fair more aligned with domestic and commercial 3 phase.

Soldato
The older Zoe can ONLY charge using Type 2 AC. This is fine for charging at home and on older Fast/Rapid chargers, but many newer charge points (e.g. from Ionity, Instavolt) are installing DC only chargers, which can't be used by a Zoe at all. 7kw destination charging is fine if it's actually at your destination, but it's not really practical to stop for 4-5hrs to charge on a 3 hour journey if that's the only option :p.

Regarding the ChaDeMo on the Leaf, this wouldn't be an issue as it would only be used for short journeys within range, leaving the ICE for the longer journeys.

I see. Yes, I can sort of see the downside, but the newer Zoe’s all have DC charging, no?

And I can see why you’d want to get out of a type 2-only hpvehicle as well.

Soldato
I see. Yes, I can sort of see the downside, but the newer Zoe’s all have DC charging, no?

Surprisingly, it's a £500 option - although IMO you'd be a bit of an idiot not to add it. Even if you had no use for it yourself, I can imagine not having it would reduce the resale value of the car by more than the £500 it cost!

Last edited:
Soldato
Holiday Inn Coventry - Polar 43kW AC if you have a Zoe with Rapid from a Type 2. :D

I can get there and back on a charge anyway :p

There's a 43kw AC charger within walking distance of home if I really need one. The issue is the lack of AC charging on motorways/major A roads, having to make a 20 minute detour off the motorway to find a hotel or supermarket which has a decent charger isn't ideal. While the Ecotricity stranglehold on motorway services isn't great since there are only usually 2-3 chargers anyway, it hasn't been too bad while EVs have been niche. Now they are becoming more widespread, this becomes more of a problem, especially when, as mentioned above, the newer/bigger charging stations on major routes seem to be mostly DC only.

Soldato

And I can see why you’d want to get out of a type 2-only hpvehicle as well.
Surprisingly, it's a £500 option - although IMO you'd be a bit of an idiot not to add it. Even if you had no use for it yourself, I can imagine it would reduce the resale value of the car by more than the £500 it cost!

That’s ridiculous.

Soldato
It’s going to be pretty nuts when almost every car on the road can do 0-60 in under 10 seconds and a big proportion of them can do it in under 5.

I think a lot of people are going to get caught out, it certainly has people buying Teslas, plenty of those have ended up round a lamp post with only a few miles on the clock.

Caporegime
It’s going to be pretty nuts when almost every car on the road can do 0-60 in under 10 seconds and a big proportion of them can do it in under 5.

I think a lot of people are going to get caught out, it certainly has people buying Teslas, plenty of those have ended up round a lamp post with only a few miles on the clock.

I've found that, very easy to go quickly without noticing. The lack of sound and gear changes makes your speed harder to judge.

Soldato
I bet they make a law and put a cap on 0-60 times eventually. They will just keep getting more powerful and lighter until city cars accelerate like superbikes. Put that in the hands of a new driver or old person...

Soldato
presumably the high power dc charge stations cost more to install, rectifiers etc. and have bigger efficiency losses themselves, rather than taking that hit inside the car when charging A/C .. commensurately you pay a premium for higher power dc (tesla) no?

acceleration : if you do want to drag the current out ofthe battery faster, you have to deal with the heat, power electronics and faster battery degradation , there's no free lunch,
I assumed this explained vw's id3 acceleration restraint, equally tesla offering s/w upgrades to acceleration, as the data shows more about the resilience of their battery+electronics

Soldato
I was just commenting about the human behavioural/skill aspect of having inexpensive cars with pretty low 0-30/60 times compared to ICE now rather than the tech.

I’m sure most will be fine but there are already issues with the ‘unintended acceleration’ phenomenon when using laggy ICE autoboxs found in your average hatch back. Even relatively ‘normal’ cars like the leaf have instant torque, no gear changes and get up to 30 in 2ish seconds if you mash the go pedal.

Then there are the youths who can normally only afford to buy a 1L super mini but think it’s sensible to whack on a huge exhaust and drive around with their foot on the floor on city streets... that’s going to be an issue for sure.

@jpaul your right, fast DC is always going to be a premium. The faster you want to Chuck in electrons, the more those electrons cost and that’s before taking into account equipment cost.

Soldato
They're also much heavier than a comparable ICE, so harder to slow/stop in a hurry, and you don't get "penalised" (e.g. by the MPG drop) as much as in an ICE for driving inefficiently!

Well, you do in energy terms. I can easily halve the range by driving inefficiently. The only difference is the financial cost per mile is trivial.

Soldato
Well, you do in energy terms. I can easily halve the range by driving inefficiently. The only difference is the financial cost per mile is trivial.

I think it depends what you mean by trivial? An ICE car is 12-25p/mile on fuel cost and depending where I charge up my EV is generally 3-7p/mile so not that trivial. I can get my Model 3 down to under 2 miles per kW/h if I drive with 100% throttle input on a regular basis. What actually limits me is that my neck starts to hurt and generally once you've done it once the passengers in the car often don't really want to experience it too often.

Back
Top Bottom