Images of items I have purchased (except trainers)

Associate
I bought an MRI scan to find out my back was a write off!

Ruptured disc, seeing a consultant next week, looking like I may need spinal surgery, fun and games :D

wyi3mT7
i0UZfqg.jpg

Now that you have the MRI scan, can you have the operation on the NHS or do you have to still go private?

My back gives me hell.. I just looked at MRI prices at the local Nuffield and they are £625! I imagine surgery will be thousands?

Soldato
£25k lols someone got bent over I'd expect a brick build for that.

https://www.tuin.co.uk/Garages-And-Carports.html

Brick was about the same price but the timber frame style is more in keeping with the surrounding area and it's what we actually wanted.

Your link doesn't prove what you think it does. I said the cost of the timber frame was £8.5k for a bespoke design in oak and cedar. That site shows something like this for £6.25k — https://www.tuin.co.uk/Log-Garage-Moa-6-x-5m.html — which is off-the-shelf, less substantial and made with inferior materials. That's actually very similar to the shed we're replacing which is falling down after only 12 years.

You've still got to factor in the following costs:
  • Remove the existing shed (Builder's time and disposal costs).
  • Foundations built to Building Control spec (you can't just chuck some concrete down and hope for the best).
  • Erection of the new garage kit including a tiled roof (time and materials).
  • Wiring up the lighting and electrics.
  • Insulation and Masterboard on the inside (we need to use Masterboard to meet the fire regulations).
  • Proper garage roller door (that's £2k alone) and secure personnel door.
  • Building Control application & site inspections (£500).
£10–15k for above on top of the cost of the kit isn't unrealistic.

Soldato
Now that you have the MRI scan, can you have the operation on the NHS or do you have to still go private?

My back gives me hell.. I just looked at MRI prices at the local Nuffield and they are £625! I imagine surgery will be thousands?

Yep, the consultant can do the op on private or NHS I believe (He does both I believe). Obviously private = faster & more expensive while NHS = longer waiting & free.

Not medical advice, but what I did was to find a really good physio/osteo (Always helps if they do a lot of local sports people in my eyes) and see what they say. They can then refer you for MRI, consultant or may even be able to fix you through physiotherapy. As I say, not medical advice but this is where I started after being messed about by the NHS and getting sick of waiting. Each appointment cost £45 and I think i've had 4 or 5 so far to get to this point of being referred to a consultant.

From googling (This isn't really any use, I have no idea what surgery i'd need) I saw a local private hospital offering spinal decompression for around £7k, so yeah, whatever you have will be thousands if not tens of thousands if going private.

Hope this helps! :)

Soldato
This year I've maybe had somewhere between 15 and 25 pinch flats. One ride I had 3... Lots of people in the road thread aren't fans of tubeless either, advising against it...
That's insane. How many miles are you doing?

There must be something not right and not just your weight as its not exactly excessive but that amount of punctures is..

Don
Brick was about the same price but the timber frame style is more in keeping with the surrounding area and it's what we actually wanted.

Your link doesn't prove what you think it does. I said the cost of the timber frame was £8.5k for a bespoke design in oak and cedar. That site shows something like this for £6.25k — https://www.tuin.co.uk/Log-Garage-Moa-6-x-5m.html — which is off-the-shelf, less substantial and made with inferior materials. That's actually very similar to the shed we're replacing which is falling down after only 12 years.

• Foundations built to Building Control spec (you can't just chuck some concrete down and hope for the best).
  • Insulation and Masterboard on the inside (we need to use Masterboard to meet the fire regulations).

Nope you are definitely wrong, here is a link for some wood, just offer the contract to PS, he's unemployed and a master at most things.

Soldato
This year I've maybe had somewhere between 15 and 25 pinch flats. One ride I had 3... Lots of people in the road thread aren't fans of tubeless either, advising against it...

I did over 1000 miles this summer and not one flat. I use tubeless and pump up to nearly 100psi. In fact, I have never had a puncture.

Soldato
Yep, the consultant can do the op on private or NHS I believe (He does both I believe). Obviously private = faster & more expensive while NHS = longer waiting & free.

Not medical advice, but what I did was to find a really good physio/osteo (Always helps if they do a lot of local sports people in my eyes) and see what they say. They can then refer you for MRI, consultant or may even be able to fix you through physiotherapy. As I say, not medical advice but this is where I started after being messed about by the NHS and getting sick of waiting. Each appointment cost £45 and I think i've had 4 or 5 so far to get to this point of being referred to a consultant.

From googling (This isn't really any use, I have no idea what surgery i'd need) I saw a local private hospital offering spinal decompression for around £7k, so yeah, whatever you have will be thousands if not tens of thousands if going private.

Assuming you use pain relief, have you asked your GP about antidepressants for pain relief?

Caporegime

The guy who runs that business says his stuff will never rot if there is ventilation even without protection and left bare.

Also width of the timber is key they do bespoke designs and custom builds also you might want to read some of their blogs.

Associate
What are you brewing? I keep thinking about getting back into homebrew, maybe this will be the push to do it...

I will be brewing a Mosaic/Citra IPA in a week or two when this one is done, a recipe I first brewed at the end of 2017 as my first brew. I moved away to the US a couple months later so haven't brewed since.

In the fermenter at the moment is just a kit Amber Ale that came with some fermenting buckets, not a style I am too fond of but it was free.

This is a bargain if you are looking for all the equipment, this is what I just bought. Only needed the fermenters (I prefer the stronger US style buckets) but it's nice to have an extra pot and the other things. RRP is £100+. Discounted because the kit yeast is BBE Sep 2020, but seems to be working fine for me.

Last edited:
Associate

Thanks for the reply, very helpful. Good luck with your back!

Caporegime
If you read what the quote includes he is getting far more than an off the shelf tuin.

You don't say. Is it £20k more though? Like I said before for that money personally I'd want a brick build. But each to their own.

Tuin also do custom builds with very thick sizes iirc 120mm or 150mm thick.

The best thing about ocuk is only last week I said a decent log cabin home office would be £10k total finished with insulation, etc. Or £20k for a brick build and people said I was clueless and it would only be £3k.

Yet someone posts a £25k wooden garage and see no issue with the price at all.

Never change ocuk.

Back
Top Bottom