Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Associate
Is that in Ironman distance event? You are brave! A colleague completed one last year: He was fine on the swim and cycle but took 8 hours to walk the marathon, stopping to throw up every other mile. It put him off doing a marathon again :( If you want to avoid his fate you will need to focus on training your stomach to take on fuel during the event. It's a very individual and tricky thing to get right as different things work for different people.

I honestly don't know how people have the time to train for an ironman. Marathon training took up most of my free time so fitting in cycling and swimming training too would be all consuming!

I think you're mental, but best of luck :D

Soldato
Is that in Ironman distance event? You are brave! A colleague completed one last year: He was fine on the swim and cycle but took 8 hours to walk the marathon, stopping to throw up every other mile. It put him off doing a marathon again :( If you want to avoid his fate you will need to focus on training your stomach to take on fuel during the event. It's a very individual and tricky thing to get right as different things work for different people.

I honestly don't know how people have the time to train for an ironman. Marathon training took up most of my free time so fitting in cycling and swimming training too would be all consuming!

I think you're mental, but best of luck :D

Oh that's rough.

I had the shame of a colleague doing the marathon part of the Bolton Ironman quicker than i managed the Manchester marathon :(

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Yes its the full Ironman distance, I have managed a solo 70.3 This year (apart from the long transition of 15mins from driving back home from the pool. The last 3-5k of the run was really hard and ended up talking to the oak trees to say thankyou for the support.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Well done, the hardest part really is putting on your gear and leaving the front door. You really sound on your way for getting it smashed :)

Soldato
You will end up liking it and then you start worrying if you haven't been out for a couple of days. There's a whole new world of kit you can buy as well :)

True. I ended up getting a reflective vest instead of a rear light. Figured it does the same job and if anything probably makes me more spotable.

My HR is still through the roof on basic runs. I’m off this week and am targeting at least a 10 mile run to start building up mileage again.

Caporegime
True. I ended up getting a reflective vest instead of a rear light. Figured it does the same job and if anything probably makes me more spotable.

My HR is still through the roof on basic runs. I’m off this week and am targeting at least a 10 mile run to start building up mileage again.

I got an LED arm band, been wearing my Nike Air. They seem comfortable enough with enough cushioning. I was looking at the Vaper Fly and all that but thought to myself I should at least get it going before spending money. If I can stick to this until December I will get a pair for Chirstmas.

Caporegime
Well done, the hardest part really is putting on your gear and leaving the front door. You really sound on your way for getting it smashed :)

I actually don't have a problem with that, the other day i ALMOST didn't because it was raining. I have a schedule (sleep reminder) to go to sleep at 11:30pm so that means I need really go running and back before 11pm. It was at 10:15 when I thought to myself....lets just go, don't make excuses, if you make 1 excuse you will make 2.

I opened the door and the rain stopped, literally as i stepped outside.

Caporegime
You have so much more mental fortitude than I manage to summon ;)

Was aiming for mornings recently, but new puppy gets upset and wakes everyone, so I have to stay in bed so as not to disturb it :D:D

I use it to listen to Podcast, it's actually my treat. I have a few shows that I only listen to when i am on the move, either driving or walking to the shops or running. Since Covid I haven't shot any weddings so I have a pile of podcast to listen to and running is my way to listen to them.

I find it much easier and passes the time faster than music ever did.

Caporegime
@Raymond Lin

Well done. There’s been times I wake up to run before work.
Debate staying in bed and then I tell myself “you’ve got to get up in an hour anyway. Just think how annoyed you’ll be if you don’t run”

80% of the time that works for me!

Thanks.

I wish I can run in the morning but I am just not a morning person. I don’t have a problem falling asleep so running just before isn’t a problem.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Well that was a crap run... i only managed 20mins at a easy pace and my legs just went empty all i could was walk any running and it went back to jelly legs....

Soldato
Didn't run once last week so back at it this week. Busted out the new Adidas Agravic trainers since conditions on usual trail are not really suited for the Brooks anymore.

I know trail trainers don't have the same bounce and energy return of road ones, but damn, feel very minimalist. Grip is good though, I actually slipped and fell two weeks ago as its a slide fest with all the mud now :D

Soldato
Running is my only exercise at the moment, and my gym at work has been closed since March

got myself a 12kg kettle bell the other week but my left elbow is sore/painful I think it’s tennis elbow so can’t do any HIITs in the garden as yet

so running it is :)

SPG

SPG

Soldato
What do people use for a hat and gloves ? Went out this early this morning and the chill damp cut right through me.

Back
Top Bottom