Update on my health

Soldato
As many of you know, I’ve been battling a congenital heart condition my entire life. Well, things have moved on dramatically, so I thought I’d give you an update.

Last March, I went into a slow form of atrial tachycardia. An echo showed that due to weakening heart function, I had developed a clot in my right atrium, roughly the size of a pea. I was placed on heparin to reduce it. but had to stop taking it after severe nose bleeds. This meant they couldn’t put me back into sinus rhythm as the shock given to my heart could blow the clot out, causing massive stroke or embolism. Over time my condition has deteriorated, and I returned to the hospital yesterday. The clot has grown to the size of a grape and is starting to interfere slightly with blood flow through the heart which is making me feel worse. They are out of options though and cannot get rid of the clot without risking a stroke or embolism, both of which would probably kill me in my current state. The only way out is a transplant, which they have talked about for years, but I’ve never been ill enough to go on the list.

The Freeman hospital in Newcastle are aware of me and have asked for full liver works to be done as my liver is damaged from the years of poor circulation, and they need to make sure it is working well enough to withstand the strain on it after transplant. I will be having CT scans and other investigations soon, both at my regular hospital in London and the Freeman (not looking forward to the journeys coming up!). Hopefully, all will be OK and I will be placed on the list. If not, then my last hope is gone and I go on to palliative care to make me as comfortable as possible for the time I have left.

Also, my ICD, which protects against cardiac arrest is nearly out of battery, so I need another operation to replace that.

It’s a very scary time and I am honestly ******** myself, but I just have to smile and get on with things the best I can. I’m still feeling OK in myself when resting but am struggling to walk more than 20 yards now without breathlessness and a racing heart. The ticker has just done as much as it can, there’s no more left.

I’ll update this thread when there are further developments. It’s good for me to talk to people on here as I don’t get out much in my current state as you can imagine, so opportunities for talk are limited. Thanks for listening :)

Evening Rob,

I know we've never crossed paths before but it still got me in the feels to read of your issues, one big OC family if you will.
I have nothing to offer other than I hope the liver tests are all good and you get the treatment you need.

Stay positive my friend.

Also big kudos for talking about it.

PS. just noticed this thread is 3 pages long, I've some catching up to do :)

Soldato
Another quick update. Procedure to have my ICD replaced has been postponed again!

Anaesthetists have said it’s too dangerous for me to have general anaesthetic unless I have the heavy duty life support gear which they just cannot do for a simple procedure. I now have to have it done under heavy sedation with a nerve block (whatever that is). I suppose it’s good that I’m having it done in a safer way, but I just don’t fancy being awake while being cut through to the ribs :(

I had a nerve blocker before full anaesthetic when I had surgery on my ACJ.
It doesn't just numb the area, it completely 'removes' it so to speak from your being... I was apprehensive, but damn it works :D

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Sorry to hear the news Rob, wishing you all the best, it really puts things into perspective.

As others have mentioned, if there's anything I, or we, as a community can do to enable you to do something or have something you've always wanted you only need to say.

I hope Arsenal put in some special performances for you this season, and Spurs keep spursing.

Soldato
Well.... If @fiveub is ensuring you get the card early, you will want to ensure it has adequate cooling for everything.

Send me a PM and I will make sure you get everything under water if you want it from Alphacool, we have most blocks either released, on pre-order or due soon so we should be able to sort something on us!

Although I pretty much only lurk nowadays when I saw this I had to comment. You're one of the names I always see around here and it's always heartbreaking when we see regulars posting things like this. I'm gutted for you and ultimately want to try and help you if I can.

Back
Top Bottom