Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Man of Honour
Haas supposedly announcing their 2021 line-up this weekend with two new drivers; Mazepin hotly tipped (bringing £25m in budget) to be announced alongside Mick Schumacher; I have to say unless Alfa/Ferrari have decided to keep Gio and Kimi I think Mick at Haas is a bad decision; a year alongside Kimi would do him far more good than what from the outside appears to be at times a pretty toxic environment at Haas

Soldato
Shame, as arguably there's worse drivers on the grid than the pair of them.

Question is, will either of them find a seat for next season?

KMag might have a chance but I think Grosjean will be looking for a drive in another series.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, but Vettel already got a seat for next year, and I don't see either of them taking Albon's seat.

look-at-you-you-made-a-funny.jpg

I was thinking more Latifi and Giovinazzi.....

Caporegime
I was thinking more Latifi and Giovinazzi.....

I won't be sad if Giovinazzi doesn't have a seat next year either, he was bad last year, and unimpressive this. His seat is also decided by Ferrari, IIRC, and I'm pretty sure they want someone else in that space next year so I think he'll be out too. But Latifi? Actually, I've been surprised by him. I expect an embarrassing pay driver, but I think he's delivered at the level that the car he is in allows. He's obviously not top tier, but I think he slots into the unremarkable midfield well enough.

Soldato
The words "anyone" "but" and "Mazepin" are the ones that come immediately to mind. He's no better than Tinktum as a stroppy child who is a liability, as demonstrated when he nearly hit Tsunoda with the 2nd placed bollard in Spa (after failing to take him off in the race). He'd already been penalised for crashing into Matsushita in Sochi in 2019 while trying to take a shortcut through the bollards and Aitkin - Matsushita was supposedly knocked out in that crash.

Grosjean has shown flashes of brilliance, but I didn't understand why his contract was extended last year after a pretty woeful season. Presumably Haas knew something we didn't.

Magnussen possibly deserves another shot in another team at some point. I don't particularly like him or his driving, but I think he's still F1 calibre. Haas seems like a bit of a graveyard for drivers though.

Caporegime
The words "anyone" "but" and "Mazepin" are the ones that come immediately to mind. He's no better than Tinktum as a stroppy child who is a liability, as demonstrated when he nearly hit Tsunoda with the 2nd placed bollard in Spa (after failing to take him off in the race). He'd already been penalised for crashing into Matsushita in Sochi in 2019 while trying to take a shortcut through the bollards and Aitkin - Matsushita was supposedly knocked out in that crash.

Mazepin punching Illot seems like a better demonstration of his poor character. I don't think he was actually trying to hit Tsunoda with the bollard, I think he just came in hot, as many a driver has done before. His childish strop at getting a penalty is the kind of thing you can only get away with if you're a four time World Champion - then people will defend it as "passion" and "character". His ascent to F1 seems highly likely, sadly enough. He isn't totally without talent but, like Ticktum, he lets it down with his personality.

Grosjean has shown flashes of brilliance, but I didn't understand why his contract was extended last year after a pretty woeful season. Presumably Haas knew something we didn't.

Grosjean hasn't shown flashes of brilliance in a long time. I hope he can find a drive elsewhere and thrive there, but he's been a liability in F1 for a long time

Magnussen possibly deserves another shot in another team at some point. I don't particularly like him or his driving, but I think he's still F1 calibre. Haas seems like a bit of a graveyard for drivers though.

Eh, many a better driver than KMag has left F1 early before.

Soldato
Mazepin punching Illot seems like a better demonstration of his poor character. I don't think he was actually trying to hit Tsunoda with the bollard, I think he just came in hot, as many a driver has done before.
I hope so, but it was only a couple of minutes after he pushed Tsunoda off and was given an immediate penalty costing him the win. You're probably right that the was no intention in, but there's a difference between deliberately knocking the bollard and coming in so hot you hurl it towards people.

Eh, many a better driver than KMag has left F1 early before.
Yeah definitely, but Magnussen is only 28 and he's got plenty left. He was largely good last season and I wouldn't be surprised to see him back. Not bothered if he does return, though he is a personality... just one I don't particularly like.

Soldato
The RB appears to be designed exclusively around Max, which doesn't appear to be very accessible to anyone else they've paired with him. Both Gasly and Albon have found themselves performing better with the AT.

Caporegime
The RB appears to be designed exclusively around Max, which doesn't appear to be very accessible to anyone else they've paired with him. Both Gasly and Albon have found themselves performing better with the AT.
I wonder how much of that is the treatment they receive within the team and the demands placed on the drivers by RB and how that compares with the demands at AT. RB really push hard, AT seems far more relaxed. Still focussed, just less demanding.

Man of Honour

Your probably right on Mazepin but money talks and there's some talk about his dad buying the team....
I agree though on Haas being a bit of a graveyard; one reason I'm keen to see Mick Schumacher go to Alfa/Sauber and not Haas

In some respects I wonder if Ferrari should move Giovinazzi to Haas alongside a rookie; would seem better to have at least some experience in both "B Teams"

Soldato
Haas have only ever had three drivers: Esteban made Grosjean look good, and the other two stuck around for four seasons being mediocre and doing daft things. It seems a bit premature to believe they'd have a harmful effect on an actually good driver when they've never had one.
A 100% record of ending F1 racing careers.

Obviously I wasn't being totally serious, but it's not the first team I'd have on my list if I was wanting to join the F1 grid for the first time.

Back
Top Bottom