• Digital Only Version

Votes: 170 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 659 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.6%

• Total voters
Soldato
It really doesn't matter (yet) that the XSX is more powerful. Same as last gen, I owned a PS4 Pro and an X1X - fact is the X1X was barely touched. MS just don't have the games this gen (so far) and the only cross platform games I really play are CoD & Destiny which means I'm playing with friends and guess what they're on Playstation aswell. Unless MS make HUGE progress on first party exclusives the XSX will likely languish not being used just like my X1X was.

Associate
What will be a good gaming monitor to pair with the PS5? I sit close when gaming and doing this on a 55" TV isn't great for me, so I have moved my PS4 onto a monitor I use for work. Would like one to utilise the Hz the PS5 outputs, so I am in the market for a new monitor. Thanks in advance

Soldato
What will be a good gaming monitor to pair with the PS5? I sit close when gaming and doing this on a 55" TV isn't great for me, so I have moved my PS4 onto a monitor I use for work. Would like one to utilise the Hz the PS5 outputs, so I am in the market for a new monitor. Thanks in advance

There's no/very few hdmi 2.1 monitors out, most monitors that do 4k/120hz (or more) use display port and only have hdmi 2.0 ports, so you'll be looking at a 4k 60hz monitor if you buy now.

Soldato
Currys pre-order paid.

Now, if we could get a bit more info/some PS5 units in the hands of reviewers, Sony... that's be great. :D

4 weeks today and the PS5 will be in our hands :D

Has everyone decided where and how they are going to store their PS5?

On my desk, even with my 15" work laptop, 34" 21:9 UW and 23" 16:9 monitors, and headphone stand (DT 990 pro's and more than likely the Pulse 3D headset) I have enough room for the PS5 to sit vertically. The box for my K65 keyboard is almost the same size as the PS5 so I know there'll be plenty of room for it.

Glad I went for a big desk! PC is under the desk so if needed PS5 could have sat on top of it, but that would mean 2 things expelling hot air on top of each other.

Associate
But yet again, as has been mentioned by nearly every single developer, TF is NOT a good way to determine how well these console will perform.
TF is not a good way to measure performance across different architectures so they were likely talking about comparing the TF numbers to previous gen consoles. When you are comparing the exact same architecture as with the PS5 and XSX it's an excellent comparison.

However, as there are currently no cross platform games being released over the next couple of months where the performance is going to be different (it's 4k30 or 4k60 on both for example) we're down to image quality differences which really aren't going to be noticeable unless you're running the two side-by-side.
Just because a game is advertised at a certain resolution and frame rate it doesn't mean it will be the exact same on both consoles. The advertised frame rate is rarely a locked frame rate, it will typically have frame rate dips during more demanding scenarios. Similarly, they may also have dynamic resolution where it is lowered in some parts to maintain a higher frame rate. It's categorically false to claim that the only differences will be picture quality.

The Series X isn’t either. It’s a 1440p120 machine unless you sacrifice pixel quality for pixel quantity.
I didn't say it was?

Soldato
Less TF, faster SSD, Less CU's, faster clock speed...

In the end, it's likely to make a tiny difference in game on multi-platform games. And certainly (going back to the original point) not something that will make Sony think they have an inferior product and need to bring out a revised model.

Was thinking logically earlier, I know neither console makes sense at launch as there is bugger all bar old stuff I want to play but, I'd imagine PS is going to be the first out with a hardware revision as they are playing catch-up (its good advertising for xbox with "the most powerful games console in the world") so if I was to keep either of my pre orders it should probably be the X.
What will actually happen is they will both turn up and I'll get them both out and one will be played and the other will be in stasis for a while.

Soldato

In the end, it's likely to make a tiny difference in game on multi-platform games. And certainly (going back to the original point) not something that will make Sony think they have an inferior product and need to bring out a revised model.

I hope so, especially as I cancelled the X :)

Soldato

Nice find!

Have to say though, the new store looks naff to me. Clearly optimised for mobile because the elements are massive on desktop. You have to scroll halfway down to get to the actual information about the game and they're still packing the description with all the pre-order nonsense first when all you want is info about the actual game.

Also annoyed that they've removed the wishlists, they were a great way to keep an eye on prices for games.

Soldato

TF are a product of compute units and clock speeds... :rolleyes::p

In rough terms:

Clock speed defines how fast a single operation can be completed.
CUs defines how many operations can be completed simultaneously.
TFLOPS gives you the resulting throughput.

At the end of the day though, both consoles will be playing the same games. I can watch comparison videos of One X vs PS4 Pro on YouTube and barely notice the differences until they're pointed out. Same with something like Gears 5 running on my PC vs videos of it running on Series X. And the difference between One X and PS4 Pro is much, much larger.

Last edited:
Soldato
TF are a product of compute units and clock speeds... :rolleyes::p
And more/less CU's and faster/slower clock speeds have other advantages/disadvantages over just the raw TF numbers.

We'll need to wait for DF multiplatform game analysis to tell, and I'm betting there'll be not much difference at all.

At the end of the day though, both consoles will be playing the same games. I can watch comparison videos of One X vs PS4 Pro on YouTube and barely notice the differences until they're pointed out. Same with something like Gears 5 running on my PC vs videos of it running on Series X. And the difference between One X and PS4 Pro is much, much larger.

Exactly this, on paper the X is more powerful but in reality it's not going to make a huge amount of difference. Same for the SSD speed - on a PS5 exclusive we might well see some games making full use of the SSD, but on multiplatform games they will be very similar I think.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom