Red Bull threaten to quit F1, Ferrari block engine freeze

Caporegime
https://www.thedrive.com/accelerato...they-dont-get-their-way-on-engine-development

Here we go again!
Red Bull is threatening to pull both its flagship team as well as its sister AlphaTauri team out of Formula One at the end of 2021 if the series doesn't freeze engine development starting in 2022.

Mercedes happy to freeze the rules.
Renault happy to as long as development to equalise current power units is allowed until then
However Ferrari are believed to be against the freeze as they don't want the upcoming changes in 2022/23 on fuel content to be stopped.

Soldato
That's what I found funny about F1 saying "they've signed a contract to 2025 (or whenever)". You can't force them to turn up and race, sure you could try to sue them.

Ferrari have got the most to lose from a freeze since they're behind at the moment, that's why the others aren't too bothered.

I do think a freeze is very backwards for a sport all about innovation but I would like to see the engine rules overhauled anyway to be much simpler.

Caporegime
OP
That's what I found funny about F1 saying "they've signed a contract to 2025 (or whenever)". You can't force them to turn up and race, sure you could try to sue them.

Ferrari have got the most to lose from a freeze since they're behind at the moment, that's why the others aren't too bothered.

I do think a freeze is very backwards for a sport all about innovation but I would like to see the engine rules overhauled anyway to be much simpler.

Well the engine rules are changing completely in 2026, so we will see what the new regs will be in due course.

Also in 2022/3 engine manufacturers will need to do heavy investment in changing fuel injection systems and heads and valves and other bits and pieces to enable the new fuel regulations.

So a freeze on all that would be good for all teams and manufacturers as it will save millions.

Ferrari would probably gain from a freeze, as they will have more chance to catch up.

Man of Honour
Can't stand Horner, so him being out of F1 would be most welcome. Would be a shame for the competition but Red Bull are the whining babies of F1 so it's hard to both take them seriously, and to be upset at the prospect of them walking away

Back
Top Bottom