Best budget brand sata SSD with Dram cache?

Soldato
What is currently the best budget brand for 120gb and 500gb sata ssd?

It will be running Linux ZFS

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Crucial Mx500 seems to be the best budget drive. Avoid dramless drives like the crucial bx, sandisk ssd plus, WD Green (and perhaps blue too) etc

While I agree in principal, in the real world, it tends to make bugger all perceivable difference outside of synthetic benchmarks that are irrelevant to how most people use the hardware.

Soldato
You've already been subjected to the wall of text I put up on dramless SSDs.

Yes, but by your own admission, you kind of suck at hardware purchases, a no name Chinese drive (though the TCSunbow stuff is essentially the same controller set-up as Crucia MX500 from memory if you want cache and cheap) and somehow managing to miss one of the most discussed bait and switches in SSD history since Kingston, those are hardly shining examples. In the right application they work well, and in load time tests they generally come in almost indistinguishable from anything else, which makes for cheap/fast steam library drives. Then again I normally run fusion.io's that cost a fraction of your average SSD and have write endurance my kids may have to worry about long after i'm gone, who doesn't like 3.8TB for less than the price of a 2TB QLC NVMe drive?

Soldato
Yes, but by your own admission, you kind of suck at hardware purchases, a no name Chinese drive (though the TCSunbow stuff is essentially the same controller set-up as Crucia MX500 from memory if you want cache and cheap) and somehow managing to miss one of the most discussed bait and switches in SSD history since Kingston, those are hardly shining examples. In the right application they work well, and in load time tests they generally come in almost indistinguishable from anything else, which makes for cheap/fast steam library drives. Then again I normally run fusion.io's that cost a fraction of your average SSD and have write endurance my kids may have to worry about long after i'm gone, who doesn't like 3.8TB for less than the price of a 2TB QLC NVMe drive?
Well look at mister smarty pants over here. I'd like to see where people talked about the sandisk ssdplus bait and switch if it was so discussed.

They're not cheap/fast steam libraries. They are too slow. I don't even think you've used one...

Soldato

Those TCSunbow vary batch to batch, more recent drives don't have DRAM Cache, they are cheap for a reason :)

I wouldn't call them a budget brand, but Sabrent are one manufacturer who seem to be pretty reliable but aren't one of the 'big boys' yet.

Back
Top Bottom