Downgrading from 1GB fibre?

Associate
Hi all

I currently have 1000mb fibre both up and down so have been spoilt for speed in the last few years but am hopefully moving house early next year if all goes to plan.

This does mean I'll lose my super fast fibre connection and will have to rely on a phone line again :(
I use my connection for work a lot (on desktop PC's) and also have TVs, Sky boxes, Netflix, Amazon, several phones/ipdas for the kids so I need the best broadband I can get really (business or residential).

Who are the decent providers these days for unlimited data and does an LLU provider at the exchange make much difference as I see TalkTalk (CPW) and Sky both listed?
Running a speed check at BT, Talk Talk and Sky, it seems I'll only get around 25mb from them all.

I'm happy to pay more for a business package if they can provide - or its possible for a faster speed so any suggestions?

Caporegime
You can get a fast connection almost anywhere but it depends on the limits of "happy to pay more" - a 1Gbps leased line is under £500/month, for example.

Associate
OP
You can get a fast connection almost anywhere but it depends on the limits of "happy to pay more" - a 1Gbps leased line is under £500/month, for example.

Thats a bit too much :)
Was thinking of around of £100 per month if anything else was do-able.

Caporegime
If you can't get any fast residential services then there's not really anything business-grade that can be had until you get into leased line territory - to the frustration of many businesses on industrial estates over the years.

The best you can hope for is that you are within the Openreach FTTP or Cityfibre footprint, otherwise the next best option is Virgin Media where the upload on their 1Gbps service tops out at 52Mbps. What results do you get from putting your address into https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/broadband-coverage

All the LLU stuff you're referring to at a guess is from the SamKnows checker, this is sort of redundant now that everything is FTTC or better, as there's no concept of LLU.

Associate
OP
If you can't get any fast residential services then there's not really anything business-grade that can be had until you get into leased line territory - to the frustration of many businesses on industrial estates over the years.

The best you can hope for is that you are within the Openreach FTTP or Cityfibre footprint, otherwise the next best option is Virgin Media where the upload on their 1Gbps service tops out at 52Mbps. What results do you get from putting your address into https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/broadband-coverage

All the LLU stuff you're referring to at a guess is from the SamKnows checker, this is sort of redundant now that everything is FTTC or better, as there's no concept of LLU.

Thanks for clarifying LLU and Virgin aren't in the area.
Speeds from that site are:

Standard 6 Mbps 0.7 Mbps Good
Superfast 48 Mbps 9 Mbps Good
Ultrafast -- --

Associate
Thanks for clarifying LLU and Virgin aren't in the area.
Speeds from that site are:

Standard 6 Mbps 0.7 Mbps Good
Superfast 48 Mbps 9 Mbps Good
Ultrafast -- --

DO NOT MOVE.

It will be like going back to dialup after you’ve been used to gigabit!

Have you checked if any of the altnets are supporting the area? They won’t show up on the usual availability checkers. Try a google search for area FTTP, area gigabit etc... good luck!

Caporegime
The idea of the Ofcom checker is that it should include everything that is currently available. It's in the interest of altnets to contribute to the database because if they aren't listed it could result in their competitors getting local authority cash to do upgrades.

Back
Top Bottom