Anyone put their Christmas Tree up yet ?

Caporegime
Mines a grower.

So is the Christmas tree! :o

So it can't come in yet. It'll come in about a week before Xmas. And go out a week after. Any more and it's too sharp a condition change. Had same tree 4 years now. Each year get a little more wood for your money!

His name is kristoff

Not sure if you can trim a fir but he needs it!

L0SNNgYl.jpg

Last edited:
Pet Northerner
Don
My Mrs has repeatedly expressed interest at putting up fairy lights already. I told her that if I see any lights up before the 1st of December I'm going to get a pair of scissors and cut the cable (I'll unplug them first of course) - we're sort of in a cold war stand off about it now, just see who makes the first move!

Trick is to bin the lights now but keep the box in situ

Associate
Not yet

article-2071679-0F19CA6000000578-815_634x414.jpg

Soldato
OP
I don't normally put my christmas tree up till sometime in December

But i may put it up a few weeks earlier this year to try get some value out of it after paying around £190 for the tree last year, plus around an extra £100 for the tree decorations

Man of Honour
Our tree goes up the week before and comes down around the 3rd January. Personally I am sick and fed up with Christmas already. We went into Home Bargains in Elgin on the 1st September to pick up some stuff for the garden only to find that all of the gardening stuff was gone and replaced with bloody Christmas crap, 4 months before Christmas!! The wife then called me a miserable git for moaning. I am just sick and fed up with getting it rammed down our throats what seems to be earlier and earlier every year.

Soldato
Can someone please shove poo through the ops letterbox for this thread if that's still a thing around here?

Seriously though, I always get mixed feelings around Christmas. Even though it's been roughly 16 years since my Dad passed away at the end of November it always puts a downer on things for me even though I try not to let it bother me so much. I try to make the most of it for the sake of the kids and the missus and do get enjoyment out of it watching them open their presents etc It doesn't help that we're usually at the in laws and with the exception of her Mum an Stepdad I don't really get on with her family despite my best efforts we just don't have anything in common so conversation feels a bit like pulling teeth.

That doesn't look like it's happening this year, I actually feel like I'll be able to relax for once though obviously I wish it was under better circumstances than a global pandemic.

That said though I'm very much looking forward to this years ocuk secret santa, golden hotpants have already arrived and I'm curious to see who my next victim is going to be.

Man of Honour
Of course not, ours goes up November 1st and not a day sooner. It wouldn't be Christmas if it lasted too long.

Our tree goes up the week before and comes down around the 3rd January. Personally I am sick and fed up with Christmas already. We went into Home Bargains in Elgin on the 1st September to pick up some stuff for the garden only to find that all of the gardening stuff was gone and replaced with bloody Christmas crap, 4 months before Christmas!! The wife then called me a miserable git for moaning. I am just sick and fed up with getting it rammed down our throats what seems to be earlier and earlier every year.

It's not relevant, but your post reminded me of this gem

Soldato

Went into a garden centre at the end of september/beginning of october and they were putting the xmas trees and other crap up already they sort of screened it off mostly because they were still building it up but christ I couldn't quite believe it.

Never mind it'll be november soon and immediately after the 5th all the xmas adverts will be incessently playing on the telly. Oh goody.

Man of Honour
People that live opposite me only took their tree down about a month ago. They do it every year. One year they had happy new year written in tinsel on their living room wall until July.

Soldato
I've spent much of my life wrapped in a warm, cosy blanket of sneery, aloof, smug humbug-ery. But on Sunday, as winter swallows another hour of waking light, I shall put up my first outdoor lights. Just simple white lights, and not festooned everywhere, just an area just outside the living room window that adds some light and life to the dying garden as twilight settles in. I don't normally start so early, but this year has sapped my enthusiasm and energy, and I need cheering up. So I'll be having a festival of light lasting until Christmas, when the sun starts to come back.

Indoors I have only eaten some Quality Street (exactly why shops sell it as early as possible... they know how weak most of us are) and have nearly learned...
...on the guitar. It is more fun to play than I expected in October. I am either suffering some early onset senility (maybe Mum's dementia is contagious) or just clutching at festive straws to get through this period where watching the News is a great way to ruin yet another day.

If I stop shaving now I'll have proper Noddy Holder sideburns by December. It's CHRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSMAAAASSSSSSSSS!!!!-ish.

Soldato
There have been reported panic buying of xmas puds, the dilema over customer requirements for turkey portion size too;

Googles saying it's a bit late for either rearing a turkey, or growing a tree (covid+brexit labour limitations).

The discussion this week on the latent hibernation gene (cold water swimming) would be a good alternative, or, Magrathea type shutdown.

I went to the King's Horse in Stafford (Hungry Horse branch) 2 weeks ago and their Christmas tree is up.

Although I don't agree with it, I think it's happening earlier this year because Hallowe'en and Guy Fawkes have been cancelled. I've not seen any advertising or events for either of these.

Back
Top Bottom