Paddlesports (Kayaking, Canoe, Stand-Up Paddle boards)

Soldato
Got out last night. The fin seems to have made a noticeable difference in tracking. I was on the canal too, where you can generally notice it more as you head to the banks constantly otherwise! Unless of course it was the paddle technique being better, or simply a combination of the two.

I definitely need to work something out. On some paddles i get a really bad pain at the top of my shoulder just above the left shoulder blade. This kicked in around 3 miles in last night, yet on Saturday i happily did 8.5 miles with no pain at all. I can only assume it is dictated by paddle length, and something i probably need to be more aware of rather than just setting it at what looks "about right". Also some more paddles where i focus on my technique and try and let that become natural, as at the moment i still just aimlessly bimble along and if i want to put together long paddles then it's something i need to fix.

I was looking at trying to get a camera mount on the front of my board/go pro mount and then filming myself to try and break things down more as per those videos you posted. I've also joined a gym. Mainly to try and build core strength. It's looking like work from home for another 6 months at least and i currently sit on the sofa rather than a decent desk/chair and i'm definitely noticing a lot of lower back pain on paddles.

Man of Honour
Some resistance work may sort your back out. I had lots of back pain for years (i think linked to being a prop in rugby all through my school years) and weight training has touch wood got me to point where I have been pain free for couple of years.

Try to get someone to film you from the bank to the side re paddle stroke. May be send into superboardermag for review or put it here for a less informed suggestion!

Soldato
Yeah. Went to the gym today for the first time in years.
Hopefully can start getting some strength to my core to help stabilize the rest of me. From watching/reading things I think my glutes especially are weak and so my back takes the strain.

Day 2 off work today and still no paddle yet. The weather has been grim, on the plus side I’ve got a decent amount of jobs sorted.

Man of Honour
Nice. I did about 6.5k yesterday and up river the Thames was hard work. River is a few feet up and flowing fast. Max speed on way back was fun. Hitting 13km / hrs. Average was just under 6 though!

Last edited:
Soldato
No canoeing for me this weekend but, I am going in a sea boat on Tuesday. Can’t wait!

Aren’t all boats sea boats? (Except barges)

I presume that’s something different that I just don’t know about!

I’ve been off work all week and had hoped to get a few paddles in, but the weather has been truly horrendous and I’ve had so many jobs around the house to do I’ve not had chance.

@Skidder have you ever been out in the dark? Other than weekends that’s pretty much the only option now around work (other than a short 2 miles I can squeeze in during lunch with wfh). But not sure what I’d need as presumably with a head torch I’d constantly be blocking the beam as I paddle?

Associate
OP

I’ve been off work all week and had hoped to get a few paddles in, but the weather has been truly horrendous and I’ve had so many jobs around the house to do I’ve not had chance.

@Skidder have you ever been out in the dark? Other than weekends that’s pretty much the only option now around work (other than a short 2 miles I can squeeze in during lunch with wfh). But not sure what I’d need as presumably with a head torch I’d constantly be blocking the beam as I paddle?

Have a search for a sea kayak. Long boats that are usually 16-18 foot. Very fast and stable at speed but, turns like an oil tanker however. If you compare that to a whitewater kayak which is paddled most often it should be quite striking the difference (7-9ft for a WW kayak)

Man of Honour

Paddled loads in the dark. Typically you can see well with reflection off the water. Head torch is a good idea for fishermen and boats and stuff though.

Associate
OP
No paddling for a month now as the club is shut. Got a 5 mile paddle in Liverpool docks under my belt and will work up to the 10 mile evening paddle.

Soldato
No paddling for a month now as the club is shut. Got a 5 mile paddle in Liverpool docks under my belt and will work up to the 10 mile evening paddle.

If you want to borrow a board I don’t mind lending you my Fanatic if you want to keep practicing :)

I got out today for a 6 mile paddle today. Lovely crisp sunny day. Went through. 600m tunnel on the canal which was a bit eerie but enjoyable. Funny how your senses change in the dark.

Associate
OP
If you want to borrow a board I don’t mind lending you my Fanatic if you want to keep practicing :)

I got out today for a 6 mile paddle today. Lovely crisp sunny day. Went through. 600m tunnel on the canal which was a bit eerie but enjoyable. Funny how your senses change in the dark.

That's very kind of you!

I need to gain balance on a SUP. I may try and pick up a quality, cheaper board after Christmas to coach from.

Associate
OP
Seems like gladiator boards are out of stock everywhere.

I suppose if be quite happy with the decathlon board as a starter. My main disciplines will remain canoe and kayak.

Soldato
Seems like gladiator boards are out of stock everywhere.

I suppose if be quite happy with the decathlon board as a starter. My main disciplines will remain canoe and kayak.

Is that all boards? Last time i spoke to Gary, they were expecting a few shipments, but i suppose they may have all been pre-sold.

Have you got a specific budget in mind? I've generally noticed the cheap ones aren't as bad as they get called for, especially if it's only for occasional use.

I've not been out for a few weeks now as i've been running a lot. Hoping for maybe a beach trip or the Lakes on Saturday. If we head to the Lakes you're welcome to join us, although i'd expect around a 10 mile paddle if you're comfortable with that :)

If we go to the sea i'd likely used my Fanatic and i'm not sure you'd want to try my 27" Gladiator on the sea :p

Back
Top Bottom