**** Official Fallout 76 Thread ****

Man of Honour
If you are looking for a bullet sponge then look no further than the relatively new event A Colossal Problem where you need to take down a massive Wendigo called Earle with loads of normal sized Wendigos for added annoyance. We are talking thousands of rounds of ammo to bring it down, Enjoy. Oh and you have to drop a nuke first to initiate the event.

On the Bethesda forums, someone dubbed Earle "SpongeBoss Squarepants". It's a perfect name.

Fortunately, there's no reason to do that event.

It's on offer on steam about £13, I'm a massive fallout fan but..... I've heard how terrible this is, and I'm worried it'll ruin my love of the franchise.

Is it really as bad as people make out?

Yes. But it's still a bit Fallout. The gameworld is excellent. There's plenty of little details in environmental storytelling. The game is bad, but the gameworld is excellent. The game is badly made (expect bugs and this time without fan-made patches for them) and badly designed (multiple abysmal UI and almost no scope for fan-made replacements) in multiple ways. It's an attempt to mash solo and multiplayer, PvE and PvP, an RPG and a mobile "free to play" grindfest, etc. It just doesn't work. There are rigid daily restrictions intended to pressurise people into playing daily, like a "free to play" game, but all they do is annoy people. Building is an exercise in frustration that makes vanilla settlement building in FO4 seem amazing in comparison. Essentially, FO76 a mess of incompatible games badly implemented and without any creative direction. The most important thing in the game is magic, which is just shoe-horned into the world without the slightest pretence at an explanation. The intended (very flimsy) endgame is grinding for magic items. Any idea of continuity in Fallout lore has been discarded.

But, and it's an important but, the gameworld was made by people who know what they're doing and appear to like the Fallout setting. I'm still finding little scenes in places. Some tragic, some comic, some bizarre (and probably Raider humour when off their heads on drugs). There are many of them. For example, I recently found a scene with one teddybear bent over with some stitching on the top of one of their legs and another teddybear with a nurse's hat on looking at the stitching through a magnifying glass, with a medkit and a spool of thread next to them. NPCs have some comments triggered by your actions, your clothing and your weapons and the comments fit. For example, non-hostile raiders joke (in a raider-y way) about stealing your stuff if you're carrying anything valuable. If you help non-hostile raiders or settlers, they thank you appropriately. If you repeatedly and frequently supply mirelurk meat to the trader in it (which slightly improves your faction reputation), they joke about how you must never sleep and spend all your time hunting mirelurks. The prissier settlers at their settlement comment if you're on drugs. Etc.

For £13 for a Fallout fan, I'd say it's worth it. Just don't expect a proper Fallout game, because it isn't. It's a mess of different games that don't fit together well, although they have made some steps towards making it more of a Fallout game. My headcanon is that FO76 is a fantasy RPG played by people in the Fallout world. It makes a lot more sense in that context and reduces the damage done to the franchise by reframing the game as not actually being part of the franchise.

Okay, none of that means anything to me. Will give it ago later.

They're referring to the minor extras people get for spending £100 a year on a subscription for FO76 after buying it. Those minor extras are free for a week. I think they're worth maybe 50p. Per year.

Man of Honour
That's easy with the right weapons its only a few mins long! (ignore the smaller wendigo spawns). Try the Daily Ops for bullet spongeness! You are forced to complete if you want to earn the maximum SCORE! every single enemy respawns after death until the event finishes but at least every kill gives you as much ammo as you used so you end up with 10000s of rounds after a few daily ops! (another in a long line of ill conceived events which is just left alone instead of being adjusted to sensible levels!).

From today around 5PM for the next 4 days the SCORE is doubled to help players complete the season 2 event.

SpongeBoss Squarepants is far more of a bullet sponge than anything else since the last patch. Daily Ops is trivial in comparison, especially since there are only 7 mobs you have to kill for it and 6 of those are just normal mobs (and relatively weak). The 7th is a miniboss at most, which I can kill in about 15 seconds solo. I usually solo Daily Ops at Elder level, i.e. under 8 minutes. If I get lost, it might take me 9 minutes. Or I join a casual Daily Ops teams and we do it in 6 minutes because the timers advance faster with more people.

I might, just might be able to sole SpongeBoss Squarepants if I had several hours, a dozen weapons to replace the ones that would break and at least half a million bullets. Maybe.

As for the ammo dropped by mobs in Daily Ops, I don't even bother collecting it. I can make ammo faster in the normal game than I can from going over the Daily Ops area after the event collecting a few bullets from each corpse.

Soldato
SpongeBoss Squarepants is far more of a bullet sponge than anything else since the last patch. Daily Ops is trivial in comparison, especially since there are only 7 mobs you have to kill for it and 6 of those are just normal mobs (and relatively weak). The 7th is a miniboss at most, which I can kill in about 15 seconds solo. I usually solo Daily Ops at Elder level, i.e. under 8 minutes. If I get lost, it might take me 9 minutes. Or I join a casual Daily Ops teams and we do it in 6 minutes because the timers advance faster with more people.

I might, just might be able to sole SpongeBoss Squarepants if I had several hours, a dozen weapons to replace the ones that would break and at least half a million bullets. Maybe.

As for the ammo dropped by mobs in Daily Ops, I don't even bother collecting it. I can make ammo faster in the normal game than I can from going over the Daily Ops area after the event collecting a few bullets from each corpse.
Not for me! My Gauss Shotgun + Explosive Perk + 3 x Shotgun perk card(s) gives about 1100 DMG per hit & it does not take very long to kill him with a full Bloodied Build even after the nerfs! 2mm gauss electronic shotgun ammo is very expensive to make so I am grateful due to the poor game design I can get more than I ever use per DO! Iits tedious but this time next week I am level 100 on season 2 so no more need for these DO or other events until season3 (if I ever bother doing that as 2 has nothing I really want at all except maybe the different jetpack skin but that means collecting another 20 fluxes :rolleyes: to make the jetpack again!).

Man of Honour
What's that got to with trying to solo an 8 player event?

It has plenty to do with comparing an MMO with a game that isn't an MMO being a flawed comparison. Also, daily ops isn't an 8 player event. It's designed to be possible to solo it. Collossal Problem is, but you weren't referring specifically to that one event and I don't think anyone tries to solo that event.

Associate
It has plenty to do with comparing an MMO with a game that isn't an MMO being a flawed comparison. Also, daily ops isn't an 8 player event. It's designed to be possible to solo it. Collossal Problem is, but you weren't referring specifically to that one event and I don't think anyone tries to solo that event.

Yes i was talking about "SpongeBoss Squarepants" since the exact previous post i replied to was talking about it. I do think a lot of people are upset they can't solo such events like that or the queen anymore because they fixed magic weapons (which was a broken mechanic/glitch)

Soldato
I actually solo'd Spongeboss earlier tonight for the first time just for the hell of it.
I used my legacy Explosive Gatling Plasma in Power Armor and am spec'd for max damage.

It took me 19 minutes, well over 30+ Plasma Cores which is minmum 7500 rounds and I have the splitter on as which splits each round into 5,
I used 9 Improved repair kits, died 7 times, countless stims, med-x, Pyschotats etc etc....

A little way in I actually realised that shooting his feet seems to do the most effective damage, not sure if it me or not but his health definitely appeared to drop faster when pointing at his ankles.
I got a 2*Zealots Wood Armor, 2*Nocturnal Lead Pipe and my 156th 3*Cursed Pickaxe....well worth the cost...

Safe to say I miss my Magic Minigun...

Associate
I started playing this last week on game pass, its fantastic now.
Im looking to join fallout 1st but when i try to sign up on gamepass it takes me to microsoft store and asking for adres but only USA addressed taken, any ideas?

Soldato
I started playing this last week on game pass, its fantastic now.
Im looking to join fallout 1st but when i try to sign up on gamepass it takes me to microsoft store and asking for adres but only USA addressed taken, any ideas?
That is for the Xbox version only. All versions of the game no matter where you buy it from on PC use the same Bethesda.net backend so if you buy fallout 1st it applies to the email address & Bethesda account used. Do not buy 1st on Steam though that will not work for game pass!

Go here: https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/fallout1st
Select Bethesda.net version should work fine with game pass as long as you use the same email & account details as you are using for game pass.
https://bethesda.net/en/store/produ...9.1651547142.1604394436-1158457643.1534459645

I can sign in on the following all using the same Bethesda.net account details anytime with no problem & it retains all progress (except atoms are not shared at all they are only specific to the platform you bought them from):

Game Pass
Steam (got the game free from Bethesda when it first launched on steam)
Bethesda.net

Associate
Seems both days i was trying to sign up their system was down, typical.
I bought it on instant gaming after for €12 then redeemed on bethesda launcher and signed up for fallout 1st then.
My game pass sub is up in 5 weeks time anyways so it seemed a good ideas to buy outright anyways and was €40 on game pass.

Man of Honour
I advise against using the Bethesda forum for FO76, though. The moderation is unchallengeable and extremely powerful. I had two formal warnings. One for writing something uncomplimentary about Bethesda and one for mentioning the existence of a bug in FO4. A moderator decided (for who knows what reason) that constituted "sharing an exploit in FO76" despite the fact that the bug is in FO4 and I carefully didn't give any details on how to exploit the bug (which is a tricky process and not something someone could stumble on just from knowing the bug existed). The bug might or might not exist in FO76, since FO76 is based on FO4 but has been extensively modified. If I thought the moderator had a clue, I'd take it as confirmation that the bug does exist in FO76, but I have no reason to believe that the moderator's decision had anything to do with reality.

That wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that Bethesda forum moderator warnings last over 27 years and having 4 can result in a complete account ban, not just a forum ban. So you can be prevented from playing all the Bethesda games you've already paid for because you interpreted a forum rule differently to a moderator 27 years earlier.

It's not worth the risk. There's nothing on the forums that you can't find somewhere less draconian.

Associate
I advise against using the Bethesda forum for FO76, though. The moderation is unchallengeable and extremely powerful. I had two formal warnings. One for writing something uncomplimentary about Bethesda and one for mentioning the existence of a bug in FO4. A moderator decided (for who knows what reason) that constituted "sharing an exploit in FO76" despite the fact that the bug is in FO4 and I carefully didn't give any details on how to exploit the bug (which is a tricky process and not something someone could stumble on just from knowing the bug existed). The bug might or might not exist in FO76, since FO76 is based on FO4 but has been extensively modified. If I thought the moderator had a clue, I'd take it as confirmation that the bug does exist in FO76, but I have no reason to believe that the moderator's decision had anything to do with reality.

That wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that Bethesda forum moderator warnings last over 27 years and having 4 can result in a complete account ban, not just a forum ban. So you can be prevented from playing all the Bethesda games you've already paid for because you interpreted a forum rule differently to a moderator 27 years earlier.

It's not worth the risk. There's nothing on the forums that you can't find somewhere less draconian.

Just use the Fallout 76 Reddit page, the community there are good and there is also a bethesda community manager there that will pass on important information to the devs.

Soldato
PC update is ready now 7.39GB for me on the Bethesda.net version but servers do not know when they will be online again (around 6 hours time apparently as not going live until all platforms have it apparently despite their being no crossplay all versions use the same AWS backend).

Back
Top Bottom